Best Motorhome For long term living

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hankhill

I am a single person so 20 ft should be good
Which the sturdiest for long term living?
I'm thinking something 20 years old around early 1990s
Any Class

Thanks

You will make whatever you are in comfortable....it's human nature. I happen to be very happy in a small 18.5  5th wheel. Of course I want a bigger one and I am working on that now, but you learn to make do.

One of my primary considerations and why I went with the 5th wheel, was a permanent bed that served no other function, I did not want to have to fold out a couch or break down a dinette to go to bed....but that is just me,

Look at a bunch and you will find what makes you happy...then after a short time of living in it, you will want something bigger!!

Small is not bad though, you adapt.

Good Luck in your new life.

Jim

If 20' is your limit and something 20 yrs. old you might want to be looking at molded fiberglass trailers.  They hold their value pretty well, are lightweight (spell that....better mileage) and many are completly self contained.  Do a google search for "molded fiberglass trailers for sale".....that'll get you there.

We have a couple who come to the park quite a bit who are full timing in a Casita, and have been for the last 6 years. They say it is fine for them, and cannot see any reason to go larger. [The Casita is a molded fiberglass unit at about the length you are looking for, and can be towed with ease with just about anything.]

What ever fits your requirements is what you need.

Lee

They are a little longer than 20' but Born Free and Lazydaze made the most durable all fiberglass around a steel roll bar cage Class C unit. For one, it would be fun. I put 100k on 2 class C's and lived in mine for 6mo in Holbrook AZ and a year in Omaha. It works.

If you are going to drive around to different places, a motorhome makes sense. If not, it is just a lot of added expense, both up front and ongoing maintenance and operation (insurance, oil changes, etc).

My criteria for comfort is a bed that doesn't double as something else. We rented a 6 1/2 meter Class A Dethleffs in Germany. To me it was the perfect motor home. it was about 20' long, had a queen size bed across the back, a wet bath and dinette. It drove like a car and got great mileage. It also had a large storage area in the back with outside access.

http://www2.dethleffs.de/gb/motorhomes/01_globebus.php

Gary
It's for stationary use
I don't have a truck to haul a trailer around so I thought motorhome would be good I want to be able to move at a moments notice if needed too
Do you have to pay insurance on an RV that is in a park?
What about one of those Van Conversions?

If it is going to be stationary you would be much better off getting a trailer. You can pay someone to move it for you. RVs don't like to be stationary, they weren't build for it. No insurance is needed if the RV is in a park and not being moved. You will get a lot more RV for your money if it doesn't have an engine and a drive train.

Do I have to pay registration each year with an RV?
Is it the same with a motorhome?

A motorhome is a motor vehicle, so it needs a title, tags, and insurance while in use. It may be possible to suspend part of the vehicle insurance while it is parked for extended, but the tags (registration) are issued on an annual basis. Mosts states require that liability insurance be maintained on any vehicle that has an active registration tag, since they have to assume it may be driven at any time.  Depending on the state the motorhome is titled in, there may be a substantial tax applied to the value as well. Several states have persobnal property taxes on vehicles, often substantial ones.

Since a trailer is not a motorized vehicle, no liability insurance is required, and the lack of a drive train (engine, transmission, etc) reduces the initial cost as well as ongoing maintenance. Registration fees are usually much less as well, and the lower cost reduces any applicable taxes.

California has a PNO (planned non-operation) option for motorized vehicles and trailers. When registration renewal is due, you check the PNO  option and pay a much lower fee. If you later decide to use the vehicle on the highway, you can end the PNO status and pay the fee.I don't know if this option is available in other states.

Insurance is not required during a PNO period.

Tom said:
Insurance is not required during a PNO period.

Tom, I'm not sure if that is completely the case or not with using the PNO option.  If someone has a lien on the motorized vehicle, I would bet the lien holder would require insurance on the vehicle even if just parked.  Now if it lien free, then maybe not. 

Marsha~

Agreed Marsha. I wasn't thinking about an RV with a lien when I wrote that.

What are propane costs per month and how feesible is a solar system to run things at night?

Hankhill said:
What are propane costs per month and how feesible is a solar system to run things at night?
Propane costs vary greatly depending on personal requirements.

Solar is easy to add you can install a 200W solar array for about $500 and another $350 for a good set of deep cycle golf cart batteries. Depending on how much Sun exposure you have, that will run your interior lights and heater.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom