Firefox 19.0 Update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

I updated Firefox to version 19.0 this morning.  It has constantly crashed on opening.  I reset to get rid of my add ons.  It works okay.  Put LastPass add on back on and crash.  This may not happen to you, just a heads up.  Now back to looking for the problem.

Interesting report.  I've been running ver. 19 beta for the past 6 weeks with no crashes.  In fact, I can't recall the last time Firefox crashed here.  I would suspect a corrupted profile.  I would start it with the profile manager (add a -P to the shortcut target entry) and create a new profile, then add your addons one at a time.  LastPass will have all your logon credentials and Xmarks will have all your bookmarks, assuming you installed Xmarks along with LastPass.

Firefox 19 seems to work on my wife's XP computer and the Coach's Windows 7 computer, but not on this Windows 8 computer.  By changing profiles all that  I do is loose more of the functionality that I used to have.  Maybe back to Google Chrome that I am running now!

The main reason I like to drag my feet on any upgrade till others work out the bugs.

Bago said:
Firefox 19 seems to work on my wife's XP computer and the Coach's Windows 7 computer, but not on this Windows 8 computer.  By changing profiles all that  I do is loose more of the functionality that I used to have.  Maybe back to Google Chrome that I am running now!

By starting with a new profile, you can introduce your addons one at a time and if it is an addon, you'll know quickly.  If it was a corrupted profile, then you have a clean start.  With Windows 8 being new, there isn't a lot of experience with Firefox running on it.  However, I read the mozilla support news groups each day and haven't seen any reports of problems with Windows 8.

Firefox updates are mostly about security fixes, and some improvements to the user interface.  Of course, not everyone agrees about the latter :)  But the former are important.  If you want a really stable version, get the Extended Support Release version, currently at 17.0.2 I think, as it only gets updated once a year other than security fixes.

Nothing wrong with Chrome either, I use it as a secondary browser.

I'm running  Windows 8 with Firefox 19.0 and have no problems.

I let Firefox update/upgrade automatically and have no issues with any version.

ken

Ned said:
By starting with a new profile, you can introduce your addons one at a time and if it is an addon, you'll know quickly.  If it was a corrupted profile, then you have a clean start.  With Windows 8 being new, there isn't a lot of experience with Firefox running on it.  However, I read the mozilla support news groups each day and haven't seen any reports of problems with Windows 8.

Firefox updates are mostly about security fixes, and some improvements to the user interface.  Of course, not everyone agrees about the latter :)  But the former are important.  If you want a really stable version, get the Extended Support Release version, currently at 17.0.2 I think, as it only gets updated once a year other than security fixes.

Nothing wrong with Chrome either, I use it as a secondary browser.

Thanks Ned.  By starting a new profile and only adding Lass Pass I would crash.  I downloaded 17.0.3 and everything is working again.  It was also working with 18.0.2 before 19.0 showed up.  Hopefully Mozilla will find the problem with 19.0/Last Pass/Windows 8 combination.  They got many crash reports from me.

Have to have Lass Pass.  My passwords are so complicated that I would never want to type them in, as will well has have to look them up before using a site.  I set Firefox to not look for updates automatically and will keep it that way until I see progress, like 19.0.2 or something like that.

Have you reported the problem to LastPass?  Are you using the LastPass addon from the Windows 8 store that's made for Windows 8?  You can get it here.  There are some other reports of the addon from Mozilla not working on Windows 8 with Firefox 19, so it's a known issue, at least at Mozilla.  I don't know if a bug has been filed with Mozilla.

To those of you reading the topic understand that the problem is specific to Firefox 19 and LastPass on Windows 8 only.  If you're not running Windows 8 there is no reason not to update to Firefox 19, even if you're using LastPass.  And if you're not using LastPass, but do run Windows 8, then you should also update to Firefox 19.

I have the Windows 8 Preview version and updated Firefox to version 19, then installed the LastPass 2.0.0 addon from the Mozilla Addon site.  Logged on to LastPass and it's working with no apparent problems.  However, I have the 32-bit version of Windows 8 and the other report I saw of problems was on the 64-bit version.  Are you running Windows 8 64-bit?  If so, that would seem to further narrow the circumstances.

If you haven't already, open a support ticket at LastPass on the problem.

Open Options, Applications tab, and scroll down to PDF.  Use the drop list to the right to select the desired program.

Back
Top Bottom