Camera memorabilia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howard R

Bob Buchanan said:
I'm one of those that goes way back in using and comparing view finders. I started medium format film shooting with a Mamiya double lens reflex camera w/interchangeable lens. Each lens also contained a viewfinder lens as well - just like the Rolliflex cameras.

Hey, me too Bob!  Early 60's ... I still have the Mamiya with 4 lens sitting at home ... had to give up on it years ago when it got to be about a $1 a shot ! 

Digital has saved me many many $$ on that score.

It was probably somewhere around that time when I did some looking for a digital back for it ... I seem to remember some number like $11,000 or such!  Ouch !!  Still wish there was a reasonable way to use it today.

Howard

Bob Buchanan said:
I'm one of those that goes way back in using and comparing view finders. I started medium format film shooting with a Mamiya double lens reflex camera w/interchangeable lens. Each lens also contained a viewfinder lens as well - just like the Rolliflex cameras. I also had several "through the camera" viewfinders vs. through the lens. Those type had markings to adjust what my eye was seeing vs. what the lens was seeing.

I had a Mamiya C-330 with a couple lenses back in the day then upgraded to a Mamiya 645! Loved them both and they made me some good money back in the day shooting weddings and other events....I miss those film day, but digital is so much easier.

But I am a viewfinder type person and can't really feel comfortable without one.

Jim

Howard R said:
Hey, me too Bob!  Early 60's ... I still have the Mamiya with 4 lens sitting at home ... had to give up on it years ago when it got to be about a $1 a shot ! 

Digital has saved me many many $$ on that score.

It was probably somewhere around that time when I did some looking for a digital back for it ... I seem to remember some number like $11,000 or such!  Ouch !!  Still wish there was a reasonable way to use it today.

Howard

Mamiya's were great camera's for those of use that couldn't afford a Hasselbad. I also looked into digital backs, and found prices closer to $30,000. Very frustrating because at the time the only professional (at the time) digital camera was the Nikon's for around $5,000 or so.

Other than a small point and shoot from Costco, my first big venture into digital was the Oly 2500L - the first real affordable DSLR. Paid over $1200 for it. At the time it also had big advertising about the 2.5mp resolution being the largest on the market. I actually traded in all my darkroom equipment to make the purchase. Which made it my final transition from film.

And the 2500L had through the lens OVF viewing - which is a must for me. Can't image my ever buying other than a DSLR as a primary system for that reason.

Wigpro said:
I had a Mamiya C-330 with a couple lenses back in the day then upgraded to a Mamiya 645! Loved them both and they made me some good money back in the day shooting weddings and other events....I miss those film day, but digital is so much easier.

But I am a viewfinder type person and can't really feel comfortable without one.

Jim

The C-330 was my first venture into medium format -- and 120/220 film. I traded the C-330 in on a Mamiya 645 -- then moved to a Mamiya RB67. At the time, though it weighed a ton, it was to me the ultimate camera. The 6x7cm format plus SLR gave me everything I needed for the work I was doing. I "did" keep the 645 which was actually my primary camera. The RB was for special stuff that I needed more film on the subject - like today we look for more mega pixels.

Thanks for jumping in - nice to hear of former Mamiya camera folk.  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
Mamiya's were great camera's for those of use that couldn't afford a Hasselbad. I also looked into digital backs, and found prices closer to $30,000.

I'll bet you're right on the price ... I just remember it was way out of my price range.  The only negative at the time was the 12 shot roll of 120 film ... I remember buying rolls in  bulk ... don't remember now why I didn't use (I think it was) 220 film with more shots.  Maybe it wasn't compatible with mine ... C-3 model as I recall.  When I was shooting I could go through 12 shots real quick.

Howard

It was probably somewhere around that time when I did some looking for a digital back for it ...

Wish there were a digital back for my OM1 and/or OM2. I love those cameras, but film is expensive, you can only take 24 or 36 exposures before having to reload, and slide film and processing are no longer readily available, though there is a local shop (Denver and Boulder, CO) that sells Fuji film, and even still does E6 processing. So I'd love to get a digital back -- fat chance...

Bob Buchanan said:
The C-330 was my first venture into medium format -- and 120/220 film. I traded the C-330 in on a Mamiya 645 -- then moved to a Mamiya RB67. At the time, though it weighed a ton, it was to me the ultimate camera. The 6x7cm format plus SLR gave me everything I needed for the work I was doing. I "did" keep the 645 which was actually my primary camera. The RB was for special stuff that I needed more film on the subject - like today we look for more mega pixels.

Thanks for jumping in - nice to hear of former Mamiya camera folk.  :)

I really loved my 645 - one of the best cameras I ever owned and I have owned quite a few....the 645 was so easy and with the medium format the detail was astounding. I still have a medium format camera a Century Graphex with both the sheet film back - 2 1/4 - 3 1/4 and a roll film back for 2 1/4 square. It will take both 120 and 220 film although I have not used it in years, I can't bear to part with it, plus it has virtually no value other than to a collector.

Mamiya makes a digital 645...I keep an eye on it hoping the price will come down. For a measly 18 grand you can drool HERE!

I dream about one - since now I primarily shoot landscapes it would be perfect....

OH Well!

Back
Top Bottom