Sam's Camp Minnie Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
We left Ron & Sams today, with the snow still flying all around us. Roads were OK but we ran into strong cross winds in the Judith Gap (rt 191) and it caused our awning to unfurl. Stripped the  pawl on the roller lock and pulled the fabric off the roller and up over the top. Took out the fridge vent too. Had a devil of a time getting it wrapped back up in 40+ mph winds - had to drive to the shelter of a hillside before we could do anything at all. We must have been a sight with several feet of material flapping across the roof as we went down the road a mile or so. It was 37 degrees and raining too - got soaked and frozen wrestling with the thing.  But eventually we got in back on the roller tube and sort of tied down and managed to get on our way at reduced speed.  Tonight we are at Yellowstone's Edge CG and will work on it more tomorrow, when it warms up a bit (mid-50's, they promise)

Gary:

Another A&E Elite 9000 ? Did it rip the awning like ours. We just finished three weeks of getting a new Weather Pro installed in Chicago and Camping World is going to put the third fabric on when we get to Spartanburg in a couple of weeks. ???

Yeap, a 9000 just like yours.  That pawl that locks the roller is not the greatest mechanism.  :mad:

I haven't inspected it yet, but there is no major tear.  Was thankful just to get it wrapped up enough to get on our way again. Will be taking a look at it later today.

Ron said:
? Stop by if you get a chance.

Thanks for the offer Ron, but it won't happen this year.  We are making a bee line to Yuma right after we winterize the cabin and pick up a few items from storage. I want to watch the tile going into the house. By the way the bee hay bales were my favorite.  Thanks to Gary for posting those pics.  We hope we don't get caught in any snow.

Betty

Hi Ron,

I'm sure if George Foster is still monitoring this forum that he will be very envious!!! Seems like he never saw any wildlife on his trips! I still remember all the deer and antelope we saw when we were priviledge to visit you and Sam at Sam's Camp. Hope we can do it again sometime.

With that White stuff floating around at Sams Camp,? I guess those Montanians will be heading for PEM here in AZ.? Funny, they live up there but sure don't like the cold.? OH Well, glad to have them back for the winter.

I agree ole George would really appreciate seeing all the wildlife here.  I hadn't been up to look at the elk since the sixties.  Seems there were a lot more than I remembered.  We are going to take a buss up with friends Wed afternoon.  Eight bucks a person is pretty darn reasonable.

No more white stuff now.  There is still time before it really gets cold.  We will be here till November this year.  I prefer the cooler temps over what PHX has in the summer.

Ron said:
I agree ole George would really appreciate seeing all the wildlife here.  I hadn't been up to look at the elk since the sixties.  Seems there were a lot more than I remembered.  We are going to take a buss up with friends Wed afternoon.  Eight bucks a person is pretty darn reasonable.

With George's luck the Elk would be somewhere else.  ;D

Yep that seems to be Georges luck.  Like now I know he would appreciate the photos of the elk I posted and look at all the wildlife the alaskan travelers posted. 

We mentioned earlier that while Gary & Nancy were here at Sam's Camp we went to the Missouri Breaks North of Lewistown to watch the Elk.  Some friends here Lewistown invited us to visit the Elk herd again but this time we took the bus. Only $8 a person.  Had a very enjoyable afternoon.  While riding back on the bus we got to thinking there might be others that would enjpoy this adventure to see a hundred plus  Elk in rut.  So would anybody be interested in a rally at Sam's Camp to go see the Elk and a couple hundred or more deer in the wild?  We could plan a rally for next Sept.  We could either travel up from Sam's Camp or even stay at one of the camping areas for a couple nights.  The camp on the South side of the river has restroom facilities while the camp on the North side doesnt.  Let us know if there is any interest.

Attached are a few photos from our visit last week.

Attachments

• ELK 9-27-1_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    ELK 9-27-1_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 28
  • ELK 9-27-2a_ (Medium).jpg
    ELK 9-27-2a_ (Medium).jpg
    113 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000945 (Medium).JPG
    P1000945 (Medium).JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1000947 (Medium).JPG
    P1000947 (Medium).JPG