On the ramp for articulation testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We're at the Chili Challenge (Las Cruces, NM) and finally took advantage of the test ramp they provide every year.  We had a short trail day today so after I did a bunch of suspension work on the front and rear axles over the last couple of months I was anxious to double check my work.  I installed a rear AntiRock, moved the rear upper spring perch aft and relocated the rear shocks to an outboard position.  On the front axle I installed Johnny Joint upper and lower control arms (long overdue - I discovered my factory uppers were bent when into the front axle project :p.)

Attachments

• Perfect.jpg
    Perfect.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 70
  • OtherSide.jpg
    OtherSide.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 79
  • LongShot.jpg
    LongShot.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 78
Looks real nice John. Did you change the rear springs when you moved it? I have found that it will raise the rear a little when you move the upper pearch. Have fun! Like I know you will.

hes4all said:
Looks real nice John. Did you change the rear springs when you moved it? I have found that it will raise the rear a little when you move the upper pearch. Have fun! Like I know you will.
Terry - if you cut out the OEM upper spring perch and weld in a replacement like I did, there is zero change as far as spring height.  If you go the bolt on spring perch relo kit, then yes, there is a raise in height from what I've read.

SargeW said:
Wow, nice looking John! I see some extreme wheelin' in your future......
LOL - yea, we keep stepping up the wheeling difficulty level as my skills and Rubi's equipment evolves, I keep pushing the envelope. We're trying to do everything that Rubi is capable of, the big holdup is me.

Yes, I was wondering if you did the bolt in kit or not. It sure makes a difference in how the spring works when you relocate them to straight up and down position. I would like to tell you to have some fun but I know you already are. So be safe.

Terry - I didn't like the bolt-in kit for that very reason, so I did the weld-in Rokmen kit.

Lots of pix and video I need to sort through Marty.  Here's a short video I already put up of a fun obstacle we did Thursday.

While I was getting Rubi strapped down on the trailer yesterday, I noticed we really beat up the front lower control mount on the axle.  I might need to weld on a replacement.

Attachments

• LCAbracket.jpg
    LCAbracket.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 19
Sounds like you are heading home John. Safe travel to you and Jane, love the battle wound on the Jeep. I bet it was definitely worth it.  Looking forward to seeing some video's and pictures.

Thanks Terry!  I think the reason that LCA bracket got so beat up is I ground off the tack welds that held on a square plate of 3/16" steel plate to hold the ears together when I was replacing the arms and I forgot to weld it back  ::).  Sigh.

All the lower control arm brackets do take a beating. How did your new body mounts work? 
Looks like you are now ready for Carnage in August?

Sarge mentioned the green Samurai. I meet the owner a few years ago al All 4 Fun. That thing really works. Talk to ya later John.

hes4all said:
All the lower control arm brackets do take a beating. How did your new body mounts work? 
Looks like you are now ready for Carnage in August?
My welds are holding but I haven't hit any of them yet.  I'll have a look at Carnage - that might be doable now.

Sarge mentioned the green Samari. I meet the owner a few years ago al All 4 Fun. That thing really works. Talk to ya later John.
Nice guy in the Samurai.  He said he built it specifically to do Carnage!

I meet him doing Chinaman Gulch, he was the trail leader for All 4 Fun a few years ago and I did see him on Carnage that year too. Patiently waiting for some videos?

Terry - we just parked the coach at the ranch about two hours ago.  Here's one short video of a waterfall obstacle on Broad Canyon.  First is dash cam of me doing it and then two more LJs going right up and over.  The obstacle does take some finesse, momentum and front lockers are a big help.  One guy with an open front diff couldn't make it and several didn't even try.

I looked at some of the raw video I shot and I have a couple of good ones to edit - I'll get on that this week.

Nice video John. Looking forward to seeing a few more soon! I am having some more surgery tomorrow morning, so I will be out of commission for a while.
Glad you made it home safe.
Thanks  .

Back
Top Bottom