Check Engine Light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shearhawk

I have a 91 Coachmen with Chevy 454.  The check engine light came on our last trip.  Running rich when on cold start, then seems to run fine after warm up.  But warm start up, it idles real high till we are in motion.  (Fuel injected throttle body) Anybody have this problem and what was the cure.  Tried to find the connector for the decoder, but can not find.  Any help here would be great also.

Thanks,
Randall hawkins

Not saying this is a definite analysis,  but I had the same thing occur on the Ford chassis.  At that age of unit check the EGR valve,  Oxygen senor, or most likely a vaccuum leak that is hard to detect. Often it's the vaccum line attached to the tranny, usually has fluid in it.  Best I can often without checking it out.  Sometimes they are a devil to find. Need a vaccuum tester to find the smallest of leaks.  Also make sure the sensor on the Air Intake is not clogged.  Good Luck

shearhawk said:
I have a 91 Coachmen with Chevy 454.? The check engine light came on our last trip.? Running rich when on cold start, then seems to run fine after warm up.? But warm start up, it idles real high till we are in motion.? (Fuel injected throttle body) Anybody have this problem and what was the cure.? Tried to find the connector for the decoder, but can not find.? Any help here would be great also.

Thanks,
Randall hawkins

I think its the nature of the old throttle body carbs on the 454 to run fast upon cold startup. My 93 Pace Arrow with 454 tb does that also. If it doesn't revert to slow idle after warmup I just "pop" the accelerator with my foot and it slows down. Haven't had the check engine light come on though. Many auto supply stores will have the codes.

Woody

youre plug for reading error codes should be near or on the steering column. The good news is that it is a OBD I system which means you dont need a fancy code reader for it. Just get a paper clip and connect the A and B connectors together and watch the code flash. It should start with a 12 code. Then followed by the error  code or codes youre looking for. http://www.chevythunder.com/Flow%20chart%20index.htm heres a list of error codes for you to relate too. It is a 12 pin plug, with Letters stamped at each pin location A,B,C ect.. 6 on one side 6 on the other. Hope this helps

Rich

93winnvectra said:
youre plug for reading error codes should be near or on the steering column. The good news is that it is a OBD I system which means you dont need a fancy code reader for it. Just get a paper clip and connect the A and B connectors together and watch the code flash. It should start with a 12 code. Then followed by the error  code or codes youre looking for. http://www.chevythunder.com/Flow%20chart%20index.htm heres a list of error codes for you to relate too. It is a 12 pin plug, with Letters stamped at each pin location A,B,C ect.. 6 on one side 6 on the other. Hope this helps

Rich

Thanks... I knew the paper clip for my 1992, but the URL will be very helpful, Very helpful indeed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom