'87 Vactioneer- Fiberglas Siding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byoungquist

I have an? 29' '87 Vacationeer travel trailer with fiberglass siding.? The gel coat on the fiberglass has degraded to the point that the glass fibers have become exposed.? Is there a reasonable way to refinish the fiberglass, at least cosmetically?

Thanks,

Bob
San Diego

What has deteriorated is the gelcote that tops the fiberglas sheet. There are shops that can spray gelcote for a new finish (they do that with boats) but I suspect it will cost more than your trailer is worth.
You might also look into just having it painted.

Woody

If you are handy, you could smooth the degraded areas with regular auto body filler or maine epoxy filler and then get it painted. Even a paint job will be real expensive, so get some estimates first.  Like Wood, I suspect that re-doing the gel coat will be more than your 87 Vacationer is worth. You could check with some boat repair shops, though - they do that sort of thing.

If I do nothing to the fiberglas, i.e., do not paint or re-gel coat; will the bare fiberglas eventually fall apart?
It's corrugated like aluminum.

Thanks,

Bob
San Diego

What you refer to as the bare fiberglas will not fall apart, it is held together with resin. Just and it smooth and apply a top coat, either paint or gelcote.

Woody

Ask at marine stores or check West Marine online.  There are a number of finishes designed for fiberglass boats and any of them would do nicel.  Several years ago only a two part epoxy paint woud do, but now they have paints that will cling well to fiberglass without mixing a two part concoction.  They are still a bit tricky to work with though - they are not as easy to use as household paints, either oil or latex.

Back
Top Bottom