Who's keeping an older MH on the road??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cajunkev said:
What did it cost for the new transmission? And the fitting cost?

The Ford remanned tranny was $2495, and the labor added $500, plus the required taxes of course. The final tally was $11 under the original quote.

We are currently owners of two Bluebird motor coaches, A 1984 FC 35, and a 1996  40 footer. The 84 will be going to Texas this spring to my oldest son. He will be taking it on a tour of the U.S.A. from coast to coast. It looks like like we will be keeping the 96 on the road for at least the next 15 years at least, so you can see a quality coach will last a long time. 

Lee

Following this discussion
So what older model RV is good for long term living ?
I plan to park it most of the time but want to be able to go if I need

I don't need more than 25 footer something with enough power to tow a minivan

I Thought I was going to have a problem at a KOA, the guy kept looking at my motorhome.  Finally he says what year is that?  And of course I'm thinking, its getting late and I'm going to have to find another campground.  But all he said was that sure is a good looking old motorhome.  Man did I breathe a sigh of relief.

The one I'm in now Sherwood Forest never said a thing and never looked and noone else has said anything.  I'm wondering with the recession if they have eased up a bit, but most of the old ones I see are in good repair, pretty much have to be to go the miles these things do.  There are the ultra expensive out here plus  some old ones, but even the old ones look really nice, no junk.  I saw one pretty rickety one but I'm guessing its been here for quite awhile.

I ended up getting full coverage on the motorhome, we talked about it and I and the agent decided if it was wrecked they would just total it.  If I had only liability and it burned or something would get nothing so we decided I would at least get some money out of it.  I was satisfied with our rates, don't remember the rate for this one but we have the 1992 Eagle, 2011 Chevy HD, and 2007 Lincoln Mark truck all with full coverage and a 2006 Saturn Vue with liability only,  I pay $2400 a year for all of them.  They are all considered driven for pleasure only and none for work and I believe no drivers under 55.

1991 Tioga Tioga class C, we bought it from original owner end of 1997 with 27,000 miles.
since, we have put on 3 sets of Michelin XPS Rib tires, new A/c unit, new awnings, and most recently, a new EPDM rubber roof. now with 82,000+ miles, and with the recent investments into tires, new roof, batteries, serpentine belts and radiator hoses/thermostat - we have put more into it in 6 months than the blue book value - and we're fine with that. with just over 4 years until we retire, it didn't make sense to buy a newer rig and have it sit over 320 days/year. so adding 6500 to an rv with a blue book value of about 5800 made sense - everything works, and we love it. we'll be tailgating this weekend for spring training baseball, and planning our next trip to Mexico.
tips for keeping it running smooth: start it up and run every 2 weeks at most. run the genset, refrigerator, roof and dash air every 2 weeks. use it as often as possible, and don't let little things go neglected, because that list of little things ends up being bigger than you want to manage. most important we think, is buying the right rv for YOU - what suits your needs and wants best. after 15+ years - we're still happy with ours!!

Long as you can see, get around, and are aware of your imitations I think you can still enjoy RVing into later years.  I will be driving more secondary roads likely and skirting large cities when possible, but going to try to keep going for some time yet.

I think my 1984 SportsCoach Class C is keeping Me on the road :eek:. It has at least another 20 years left in it, hope I do, too.

This is our first, a 1987 National RV Dolphin 27'.

This is our 3rd year of light-moderate use. Going to the shop for a brake issue this week but really hasn't been bad on the wallet.

My mechanic says it needs manifold work before inspection this summer.

It isn't pretty but we own it and no loan!

clemon said:
Here's a question: has anyone ever experienced any problems getting a campsite because of the age of their rig? I've heard stories of CG management turning older rigs away to maintain some kind of aesthetic standard(??)...... I've never encountered it myself, just thought I'd see if there's any truth to the urban legend?

I was just reading another thread, where the poster mentioned that they stayed at the Olive Ave RV Resort, near San Diego. $40 a night. Since I'm headed that way soon, I decided to check out their website. In clear and no uncertain terms, they don't want older rigs there....

"We accept 1995 or newer RV?s: class A, B & C motorhomes, travel trailers, pop-up trailers & 5th wheels; * 1998 or newer truck campers."

I wonder how common this age discrimination really is...

Mylo

Every RV park I've been to, you have to give that info when registering. Haven't been to one yet that had a notice like that. If I really wanted to stay in a park like that, and felt my rig was good looking enough, I'd send them a pic to see if it met their aproval. i've seen some pretty ruff looking coachs that were newer than 95. i had a 1980 Itasca a few years ago, that really looked good. Had a rear duel blow out on I55 around the Troy exit, the guys that changed it out for me said man the thing looks good for a 90. I said no it's a 80 not a 90.  learned that day truck service here won't put on a tire for you if it's older than 8 years. I finaly talked him into it because he didn't have a new tire in my size. My spare was 15 years old at the time. I had to sign a waiver before he would put it on for me.

We have a 1997 32' Gulf Stream Yellowstone.  I have no intentions of replacing anytime soon.  We are raising our grand-daughter which has slowed us down therefore putting less miles on it. 

Having said that I keep seeing motorhomes at our dealer in Kalispell  that I certainly would like to have. 

I got me a 1984 Midas . It is rare, can't find any info on it. She's a dime. Chevy 454. In Mint condition. 40,000 miles, it's a 33' class A. 1984 isn't too old. Still takes me to California and back every year. Regular maintenance and keeping a close eye on things keeps them goin where ever you want them to take you.

We have a 1985 southwind 454 p30 , and look forward to redoing it, looking for an old bus to refurbish at some point. We have our issues, roof leaks, windows leak and carpet is really bad, furniture needs recovering but with two small kids, slip covers are better.
We are looking for an Old MH Club to join if any one knows of one. nothing newer than '91

1986 Chieftain,
P30, 454 engine with 59 thousand miles, runs like a top. Looks like it was a camp ground queen but I have it up and road worthy again!!! Interior is next !!!

We have a 1990 Newmar Kontry Star Class C. (Yes Newmar did make a c).  Ford 460 26 Ft. Still going strong. We have put on 60K mi and been in 45 states and 2 Prov. in the past 10 years and never have a age problems in any campgrounds.

I have full coverage on the old Eagle now but we are moving to Indiana and need to change insurance companies.

I went to State Farm and they have bought out Foremost.  so far I've had to take photos of the whole outside, then since it is still in Texas I just took photos of the whole inside front to rear and still no decision on insurance.  I know its because I want full coverage, but like I told him, we have quite a bit in it and if its in a wreck its totalled so I just want to get what book value would be.  He goes its over 20 years old, yes this is true but the pictures show how nice it is.  Be interesting to see what happens. 

We are using it in Texas to stay in while we are finishing moving stuff and the house is empty of all furnishings so not here yet for him to look over.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom