Chili Challenge - 2013 Cayenne Crawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
We wanted to start the 2013 Chili Challenge with the hard rated Cayenne Crawler trail that we did last year to see what if any difference our axle improvements (and the RubiCrawler) have made in wheeling capability, so this was going to be an interesting day.

To sum up the differences: WOW, OH WOW!

Rubi was quiet for a change :) - no banging, or other unusual noises and this part is very difficult to describe - it seemed to 'float' over obstacles or maybe it was the suspension working together. The changes we've made have taken the difficulty level down a big notch on this trail.

Last year we struggled a bit on the last mandatory obstacle on the climb out of the canyon so this one was going to be the tell-tale for the rig. For the first attempt on the two-step steep climb I got up the first step with no issue with the RubiCrawler engaged, 4-low and 1st gear. We did not not have the momentum necessary to climb out. (I have seen very few people crawl this obstacle.)

I got re-spotted and decided to use the RubiCrawler with 4-low and 3rd gear for more momentum. YES! I climbed right out! Oh yeah!! It took me maybe two minutes this year to do the obstacle, last year it was two or three times as long.

We didn't do the optional obstacle as some tried in the below pictures - I didn't have my aluminum corner armor installed yet and if I beat the rear fender flare up it would bend the tub.  We'll give it a try next year.

Attachments

• LinedUp.jpg
    LinedUp.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 28
  • OrganMountains.jpg
    OrganMountains.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
  • GoingDown.jpg
    GoingDown.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Suzuki.jpg
    Suzuki.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 30
  • OptionalObstacleAllen.jpg
    OptionalObstacleAllen.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 35
  • OptionalObstacleAllen2.jpg
    OptionalObstacleAllen2.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 33
  • OptionalObstacleGreenieSteve.jpg
    OptionalObstacleGreenieSteve.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
  • OptionalObstacleSteve.jpg
    OptionalObstacleSteve.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 34
  • OptionalObstacleSteve2.jpg
    OptionalObstacleSteve2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 34
  • OptionalObstacleSteve3.jpg
    OptionalObstacleSteve3.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 31
  • DeadTJ.jpg
    DeadTJ.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 38
Well those obstacles are out of our league!  But looks like fun.  Thanks for sharing John.

99WinAdventurer37G said:
Wow, I can't believe ya'll took those over that wall!  :eek:  How many Jeeps did this course kill?
This year I think we only had two vehicles with a problem and that was an electrical issue that killed the engine (took two vehicles with winches to pull him up the last mandatory obstacle) and a newer Suzuki that broke a front hub.  Last year the same guy broke a front axle on the same obstacle ::).

Betty - you're welcome! 

Cool pics.  Thanks for sharing.  I must be a wuss because I am not taking mine up a wall.  I will stick to the kiddie trails.

Mike.

zmotorsports said:
Cool pics.  Thanks for sharing.  I must be a wuss because I am not taking mine up a wall.  I will stick to the kiddie trails.
Thanks Mike!  I need to buy one of those shirts that says:  Built it, Wheel it, Break it, Fix it, Repeat (or something like that.)

I've discovered that I really like doing obstacles - I do enjoy the challenge.  Our Rubi is a play vehicle so if it gets a little beat up that's okay.  I'm trying to avoid beating it up, but stuff happens.

Back
Top Bottom