Chili Challenge - 2013 Dona Ana Moderate - in the mountains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
My plan for Saturday was an 'easy' trail after doing three hard-rated trails for previous three days - not bragging but a moderate-rated trail for me now is fun without too much excitement, so I signed up for the Dona Ana - Moderate trail.  There is a Dona Ana Hard where the added 'fun' is a very steep long descent called the "Alpine Slide."  Our trail leader said the Dona Ana trail is one of the most dangerous in the area (Hmmm.)

To my surprise the very first part of the trail was a fairly long and steep climb, after we got to the top of the ridge we waited and waited.  I walked back to see what was going on and there was a Suzuki Samurai at the base of the hill that could not make the climb.  The trail leader decided if this guy couldn't make the climb, then he would not be safe on the rest of the trail so the tailgunner was going to take him around to do the easier parts.

Then a short while later was a fairly steep off-camber tight descending turn to the left that our trail leader spotted everybody through - I was grateful for the good spotting.  I have a great dash cam video of this that I'll get up asap.

Running this trail kept me on my toes and paying attention for a good part of the day - we had steep climbs and descents and a little shelf to climb on up on a long steep grade here and there.  The trail reminded me a bunch of the Fins 'n Things trail in Moab where you are going up and down hills and riding the ridges.

In spite of the extra excitement I wasn't expecting, it was a very fun day with the very best trail leader we've had at the 2013 CC - thank goodness for the good spotting, especially for that first tricky spot.

Attachments

• Lutz.jpg
    Lutz.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 50
  • TrailLeaderClimb.jpg
    TrailLeaderClimb.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 36
  • ReadyToClimb.jpg
    ReadyToClimb.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Squeeze.jpg
    Squeeze.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 38
  • ClimbingBackThroughSqueeze.jpg
    ClimbingBackThroughSqueeze.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 40
Just had a video finish uploading a while ago - this one is the descending off-camber sharp left turn I mentioned.  I've got much more video to edit - just been too busy to devote much time.

Holy Moley, I'm out of breath just watching.  Good spotter!  GREAT ride.  I love your camera!

Betty

John; just watched your video of Broad Canyon. And as always, very nice! And you are correct, those Toyota's are very reasonable to build and they work well..

Thanks Terry!  There were maybe 4-5 truckettes on that trail and they did very well.  Here's another video I just uploaded - this a Blazer on his first obstacle of the day - it took one minute and he was done for the day  :eek:.  I tried that obstacle and couldn't make it, to my surprise - there was this one rock....

I have had the privilege of hearing that sound a few times over the years. Thankfully it has never been me. Maybe just a little to much right foot. And I love the opening that you are using. Way cool.

hes4all said:
Maybe just a little to much right foot. And I love the opening that you are using. Way cool.
Thanks Terry!  100% of the time we hear a BANG on the trail, it's due to too much skinny pedal and bouncing, at least so far (and it's never been us thankfully, so far anyway.) 

Thanks Marty!  We're signed up for the Texas Spur Jeep Jamboree later this month so we get to indulge yet again  :D.

John, I went and watched the Blazer video one more time and I had to laugh at the music. I really like the ending, kind of like a Soap Opera. Knowing you, you did that on purpose. Funny stuff! ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom