Help! Which diesel truck is the best? We can't afford and expensive mistake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edjunior said:
Here we go.  Nobody can really make the decision for you.  You have to go drive all three.  All three have very good engines these days.  The Allison tranny in the Chevy used to be a big advantage, but the new Ford tranny will easily give it a run for its money.  The Cummins is a tried and true warrior, but even it has had its problems.  So as you can see, you just need to get out there and try them all and make the decision yourself.  I am admittedly biased towards the Ford, but having driven a Chevy, I will pick the Ford over Chevy and Dodge.  Especially the new 6.7L diesel.  I (and most folks) really think Ford got it right with this one.  It is nothing like the old Navistar built diesels.  I'm not saying it has not had issues (mine has not had any problems so far), but so far, it seems to be the best of the Ford so far.

If you have a specific question about a particular truck, you may get a better response than the general "mine is better than yours".

Good luck, and happy hunting!

^^^This.

The Wife and I have decided to drive our current truck two more seasons and then trade for a newer model with the 6.7 engine. We've had good luck with our current truck and it pulls like a beast, but I've talked with several guys who have the 6.7 and am sold that it's my next unit.

I had 2 dodge gassers and didn't like the feel of the brakes on either one.  Tried a Ford and didn't like the ride.  Got an 06 Chevy and really like it.
Pulls my 36' Montana up some very steep hills without a problem and I get 12mpg pulling it.  Which is better?

The 2013 ram trucks with the diesels have a 2 stage exhaust brake from the factory, and options for a factory installed 5th wheel or goose neck hitch.  Also if you get a backup camera in it for about $150 more you can get a 2nd camera which is located in the third brake light (the one on the rearr of the cab) that is angled at the bed of the truck to use for hitching up.  And Ram iss boosting their towing capicity will blow all others out of the water  I think I saw 30,000 lbs on the 3500's. 

First off, I am a Ford man all the way. 
  • I rode in an '09 Dodge last week. The noise level in the cab was much greater than that of my '08 Ford and would not be to my liking.
  • I don't see how a Chevy could be much quieter than an '11 up Ford. My '08 is quiet, but the new 6.7 is really quiet.
  • Yes! Cab removal was required on '08 to '10 Fords for many major operations. It was a fairly straight forward proceedure. It is not required on '11 up Fords!
  • Tow/haul mode on the Ford is second to none.
  • admittedly Ford had some real problems with the early 6.0. They've come a long ways since those days.
  • Since the '11 models, Ford has also had a factory installed 5th wheel/gooseneck ball option. I believe it is a Reese design.

I highly recommend the Ford. Fuel economy on the new 6.7 is impressive for what the truck is. But like others and I have said . . . I could be a little biased!  8)

edjunior said:
Here we go.  Nobody can really make the decision for you.  You have to go drive all three.  All three have very good engines these days.  The Allison tranny in the Chevy used to be a big advantage, but the new Ford tranny will easily give it a run for its money.  The Cummins is a tried and true warrior, but even it has had its problems.  So as you can see, you just need to get out there and try them all and make the decision yourself.  I am admittedly biased towards the Ford, but having driven a Chevy, I will pick the Ford over Chevy and Dodge.  Especially the new 6.7L diesel.  I (and most folks) really think Ford got it right with this one.  It is nothing like the old Navistar built diesels.  I'm not saying it has not had issues (mine has not had any problems so far), but so far, it seems to be the best of the Ford so far.

If you have a specific question about a particular truck, you may get a better response than the general "mine is better than yours".

Good luck, and happy hunting!

glockholiday said:

Brother Bear said:
I highly recommend the Ford. Fuel economy on the new 6.7 is impressive for what the truck is. But like others and I have said . . . I could be a little biased!  8)

What they said! ;D ;) ;D

Brother Bear said:
First off, I am a Ford man all the way. 
  • I rode in an '09 Dodge last week. The noise level in the cab was much greater than that of my '08 Ford and would not be to my liking.
  • I don't see how a Chevy could be much quieter than an '11 up Ford. My '08 is quiet, but the new 6.7 is really quiet.
  • Yes! Cab removal was required on '08 to '10 Fords for many major operations. It was a fairly straight forward proceedure. It is not required on '11 up Fords![/li]
    • Tow/haul mode on the Ford is second to none.
    • admittedly Ford had some real problems with the early 6.0. They've come a long ways since those days.
    • Since the '11 models, Ford has also had a factory installed 5th wheel/gooseneck ball option. I believe it is a Reese design.

• Highlighted in bold face are just a few of the reasons that Ford has been the #1 selling truck in America for 30 years running.  Fit & finish in a Ford are second to none is another reason.

I never had any problems with the 6.0 in my 04 F-350 dually.....not sure why I ever went to Chevy but glad I'm back in a Ford!

If you want a desiel chevy or ford. Try going to NADA used car prices. Look up bothe and use same miles. Play what if The higest price is a good idea what the public thinks. I am into my second dodge diesel, First one was a 96 with 287 k miles, new one is my 06 and only 113k miles. Around town 22 mph on the road pulling my inclosed car trailor about 9000 lbs 16 to 17 mph and 65 mph...good luck

dvaniman said:
... We bought a Tundra which we love but we can not pull a 5th wheel. Mistake.  ... It's and expensive decision.
Thanks for the input.

dvaniman, have you even given thought to keeping the truck you love and buy a travel trailer instead of a 5th wheel? ...and save a bunch of money!

Is there not some rule about discussing religion on this forum. My Fords best, My Dodge's best, My Chevys Best.                Well My Chevys Best......Amen

Probably to late chiming in here, but I do have some experience with this topic.  Expensive experience.  In 2010 my wife and I bought a 27' trailer sailboat.  We didn't own a pick up.  I really didn't want to spend much to just pull the boat around a few times a summer.  Bought a used F-250 off Craigs list, for $3500,  it was gas and had a newly  rebuilt engine in it (gas)  it burned up gas like it was soda pop.  6-8 mpg when pulling and not much better when not.

Got rid of it and got a Suburban heavy duty.  Had it for 6 months and wrecked it pulling the boat to the Lake in Southern Iowa.  Great pulling truck and comfortable.  The boat had to be left in a New Car Dealers parking lot for a few days because the truck was totaled. 

We panicked and again hit Craig's list.  Found a truck 2001 F-250 Heavy Duty diesel with a 7.3.  I didn't really know what that meant.  We bought it and even though we have had to put some repairs into it.  It has proved it self.  It is a very heavy duty strong hauling truck.  Every one who sees it wants it. 

Turns out that the 7.3 diesel is the engine to have if you want a diesel Ford.  The 6.0 I guess is a nightmare.

Problem is they don't make the 7.3 any more.

According to an RV dealer my trailer is approx. 9000 lbs.  My boat is 7600 lbs.  The truck has no trouble pulling either.

Hope this helps.

Tom...

Tom Hoffman said:
Bought a used F-250 off Craigs list, for $3500,  it was gas and had a newly  rebuilt engine in it (gas)  it burned up gas like it was soda pop.  6-8 mpg when pulling and not much better when not.

Normal, even for a modern EFI gasser.

8 mpg is about what you can expect towing a fairly heavy load with any gas pickup.  My EFI 460 can get up to 9 mpg with the A/C off and no wind....which happens about 5% of the time I'm pulling.  :) 

Tom Hoffman said:
Thanks for the reply.  It is amazing, my diesel gets from 18 to 20 not pulling.  When pulling, I get 13-16 .  Kind a wierd.

Oh yeah....the mileage difference is incredible.....but this is where the diesel is really in its element.  I really want a diesel truck next time around....I'm just not sure that as little as it will get used (4000-5000 miles a year) that I can justify the expense.  Then again, I have been known to buy stuff I don't really need.  ;D

All three will do the job just fine. It all comes down to personal preference and some seat time. The new Ram is an awesome truck, the new Ford I hear is pretty awesome as is the GM version too. The "Death Wobble" isn't just a Dodge thing, as my '99 Ford demonstrated for me years ago. I believe it was mainly a problem on straight axle trucks. As stated above, any of the new trucks are expensive for repairs, nature of advanced technology I suppose.

Have a couple friends that have Duramax's, they love them, and brag about there capabilities. But they drive them like cars, never towing or hauling anything. Kind of a waste if you ask me, but not my payment so to each there own. Had a '99 Ford dually, spent more time in the shop than on the road. Sensors, brakes, ball joints, etc. No more powerful than the 454 chevy I traded for it, and only 1 mpg better. Vowed right then and there that I would sell the 5'er before I hook it to another Ford. But that's my stubborn attitude. Currently I am running an '05 Dodge dually. Fast approaching 100k with no shop time. No break downs, nothing. At this rate I figure a rebuild at 500k, this should be the last truck I ever buy. That and the fact that I won't pay 50k to 60k on a pickup pretty much seals the deal.

Tom Hoffman said:
Turns out that the 7.3 diesel is the engine to have if you want a diesel Ford.  The 6.0 I guess is a nightmare.

Problem is they don't make the 7.3 any more.

The 7.3 was a great engine. The 6.0 was like a crap shoot- you either got a good one or one that was inflicked with problems. By the time the 6.0s run ended ('07) the last couple years seem to have been decent. I have a 6.4. I would not trade it for a 7.3. The 6.7, from all indicators, is even more awesome!

I am following this thread with great interest as I am determined to get a new (new to me) truck this summer...a brand new one is out of the question, so it will be hopefully "gently used"!

I have been watching the various online trader web sites and there aren't many Duramax diesels available for reasonable prices at any given time, while Ford and Dodge see to dominate the web.

I am currently in a Ford F-150 4X4 and want to keep that ability. My little 150 has been great but my very small 5er is about the max it will tow. I average about 10 MPG when traveling, here in the mountain west it can sometimes be a challenge...but so far I have not had any real problems, a few hills here and there were a struggle but slow and easy and it has been fine. Two year goal, new truck this year and a new trailer next year!!

I am not a dedicated brand fan...so Ford, Dodge or GM will be fine, beggars can't be choosers. I would like to find a listing of good vs bad diesel engines by years available, it would help in my search....example from the previous post that the Ford 6.0 was an issue and discontinued in 07 but when did it start???

I need a list of years to avoid as I search used trucks, so if anyone knows of such a list it would be appreciated.

Thanks all...I know this type of thread always generates controversy among the various GM, Ford and Dodge brand fans, but for those of us shopping it is a great wealth in info.

Thanks

Jim

Wigpro said:
I would like to find a listing of good vs bad diesel engines by years available, it would help in my search....example from the previous post that the Ford 6.0 was an issue and discontinued in 07 but when did it start???

Jim

Ford 6.0 was introduced in mid-year '03. I would say by the '06 and '07 models most of the problems were ironed out. The '07s should be fewer in availability because the '08 6.4 models were marketed beginning in March of '07.

Sorry I can't help you more.

Everyone has had great feedback! Thanks to all of the very experienced truck owners! We are going to try and get by one more season until we can make a great decision!!! Thanks to all who replied.

hey i have a 2002 7.3 diesel 4x4 for sale. i am the original owner and LOVE my truck. hauled a gooseneck horse trailer all over vermont for ten years with no problems.
we've gone into a dually so this one is for sale in vermont. getting rusty and the bed is banged up but mechanically she's in very good shape.

Bought my first ford 2011 f-350 6.7 diesel dually.its been a great truck.

Back
Top Bottom