Shirley Bassey at the Oscars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Not quite 'Making music on the road', but close enough; She was a long way from home, and certainly making music.

Shirley Bassey gave a very credible performance of Goldfinger, the theme song (she'd sung) for the Bond movie of the same name, at last night's Oscars. It's been 50 years since that movie was made. I have no hope of singing like that when I'm 76  :(

I've been a Bassey fan since I was a kid. She came from Tiger Bay, the dockland and red light district of Cardiff, the capital city of Wales. She was probably the 60's and 70's equivalent of whitney Houston. A truly wonderful voice with a huge vocal range, and the ability to project. She's lived in Monaco for a number of years, another tax exile from the UK.

She sang the song originally for the movie.  It was the first time I had heard her sing.

[quote author=Ned]She sang the song originally for the movie.[/quote]

I know  ;)  and that was why she was asked to sing it as a tribute to the  Bond franchise last night.

It was the first time I had heard her sing.

Do a google search and you might find some of her songs you've heard before.
Edit: Typo

In an interview I saw several years ago, she talked about one of her performances where she opened her mouth and nothing came out. This was mid way through her singing career. She immediately hooked up with a vocal coach, and thereafter sang vocal excercises for an hour every day.

I think she had a good time last night, and was a little inebriated (probably from after-performance relief) when interviewed  ;D

Back
Top Bottom