hooking up propane grill from your rv

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Fivers51

I have a Coleman RoadTrip grill that instead of using those small propane bottles (1 pounders) I want to hook on to the attachment that came with my fiver and use the propane from the RV.  Now the propane has a regulator for the coach and my grill has a regulator on the grill for the small bottles.  Is this going to be a problem?  Camping world says it would be ok but I just wanted to find out if anyone has done this with now problems.  Thanks, Bill

I spliced a feed after the regulator by my tank and ran a line under my trailer to a ball valve then to a quick disconnect. Then bought a hose which had the fitting to fit on my grill where the small tank would normally attach and then put the male end of the quick disconnect on the hose and it all works fine. Plus I can attach it quickly and have a valve under the trailer to turn it off and on....

I am not sure if it would work with 2 regulators, but it would be worth a try, not much can go wrong if you hook everything up properly!

Jim

I too have a coleman Road Trip, works great with the Marshall brass Extend-a-stay I put on the motor home.. If you have a trailer with removable tanks, then you use the Extend-a-flow like I did when I had a trailer.

I do not recommend home brew versions, I have seen some they scare me.

NOTE; the Extend-a-stay has another side effect as well... A couple weeks ago we noticed the furnace blowing only cold air, Sure enough, tank was DRY and I mean DRY, so I grabbed the luggable bottle with about 4 gallons in it (it holds 5) and hooked it up to the INLET port on the extend-a-stay.. and extended our stay nicely.

Your grill will not work with two regulators in line. You will have to have the one in the grill removed in order to use it with the regulated propane from the coach.

With the 5ver, however, you could just disconnect one of the bottles and use it direct with the grill. Just be sure to switch to the second bottle for the coach before disconnecting the one you would use for the grill.

Jim Dick said:
Your grill will not work with two regulators in line. You will have to have the one in the grill removed in order to use it with the regulated propane from the coach.

With the 5ver, however, you could just disconnect one of the bottles and use it direct with the grill. Just be sure to switch to the second bottle for the coach before disconnecting the one you would use for the grill.
X2....Works great.

Jim Dick said:

I would add this, it will work BUT not to your satisfaction (poor heat).  Either removing the regulator on the grill or adding a second connection after it and connecting to the coach tank using an added output ( Google: Marshal Brass's extenda-flow) will work well.

Whether or not you want to remove the regulator on the grill will depend on how you want to use it in the future i.e. using the one pound bottles on occasion or not......

My choice would be to remove the built-in regulator and use either the coach supply and extenda-flow or a 10, 20 (normal BBQ size), or 30 pound bottle.

I have the Coleman Roasd Trip amd extenda stay adapter on the MH.  I bought a 10 ft. LP gas hose that goes from the extenda stay straight to the regulator of the Road Trip and have no problem at all with heat.

I just purchased the extended-stay at camping world and put it on my motorhome this past weekend. It works like a charm. Easy install and it seems my cooking even got better!!! ;D

I have a 5er and yes it will not work with 2 regulators.  I put  Tee in the line ahead of the 5er's regulator and put quick connects on grill and Tee.
Works fine.  Or as someone said put Tee after 5er's regulator and take the regulator off of your grill.

First the extend-a-stay, Stay-a-while and Extend-a-flow adapters all go between the tank and the regulator.  Thus you get full tank pressure at the external device (coleman Road Trip seems to be the device of the day in this thread, it's also what I have)

Thus you have only ONE regulator (The coleman's (in the gas flow path to the coleman's burners.

The folks talking about two are talking about some RV's taht come with a low pressure (Post regulator) port for a proprietary Grill sold by the coach maker at an excessive profit.

If you tried to use that port with the Coleman you'd have

Tank --Regulator 1--Regulator 2  And it would not work well.

But with the proper adapters listed in the first paragraph you have

Tank--adapter---regulator---Devices that use gas

No matter if it's the coleman or the furnace in the RV you still only have ONE regulator in the path.

If the burner flame control in on the road trip grill then you can use what ever is built into the trailer. if the flame control is on the top of the little tank then you need to get the supply before it goes into the trailers regulator.

I tried to do a google search for the road trip and there are a bunch of different ones. some have the tank top control and some have the grill mounted control. so it kind of depends on the model you have.

If your Coleman is like our Webber, you need to make sure the pressure is on from the propane tank before you turn on the BBQ, in fact Webber recommend a full minute.

Ed

Your Coleman Roadmate grill will not work if hooked to the low pressure (downstream) of the RV regulator.  I just spent a week banging my head against  a wall to learn this.  Camping World told it would work as well.  I unhooked my RV pressure regulator  from the tank (obviously making sure the gas was turned off first) and inserted brass T obtained from Ace Hardware.  You will also need two brass male nipples and a quick disconnect fitting with a shut-off.  I used  a Mr. Heater F276181 from Camping World.  The Mr Heater, 12" Quick-connect hose assy F271117 connects to this fitting and the other end screws on to your Roadmate grill where the throw-away cylinder usually attaches.  Make sure you have everything connected before opening the fitting shut off valve and open it slowly.  There are valves in the set-up that will shut off for safety if a sudden rush of LP is sensed.  Also, shut off the gas valve and let the line drain to the grill before unhooking the quick-connect or you will get a blast of LP in your face.  As an alternative,  the Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 Stainless Steel Portable Grill uses low-pressure LP and does not have its' own regulator.  You can connect directly to the low pressure side of your RV.

All previous correct, double reg does not work.  What we have done is gutted one regulator that goes on the roadtrip, running from the low pressure.  We also have a spare for the roadtrip which allows running from the high pressure side, straight off any tank.  We keep the 10' hose coiled on top of the riderside tank, then take out when parked and plug into a quick connect that was put inline under the trailer.  When gutting the regulator, just unscress the cap and pull out the diaphragm and spring assembly with needle nose pliers, takes less than 10mins.  I've done this on our own and a couple of others that have stopped by and asked how we got the grill to work plugged into the trailer at the campground!

Back
Top Bottom