EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Holding tank storage  (Read 8141 times)

Pat

• ---
Holding tank storage
« on: April 03, 2005, 12:26:08 PM »
Starting tomorrow, I won't be using my motorhome for two months.  I will clean out the holding tanks.  Question is, should I leave a gallon of clean water and some Odorlos in each one or leave them as empty as possible?

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
Re: Holding tank storage
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 12:32:48 PM »
Pat,

I think if it was me I would empty and flush the tanks add abot 1/4 tank of water and put in some Pure Power.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 01:27:54 PM »
Pat,
I agree with Ron. One gallon may not be enough. If you don't want to do 1/4 then around 5 gallons. I tried 'em all and Pure Power is the best; however, this is a holding tank not a septic tank so solid wastes will probably not completely break down before you fill'er up and dump no matter which product you use. Just don't use anything with formaldehyde.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 03:18:30 PM »
I agree with leaving some liquid in the tank while not in use.  I like to use Monsanto Enviro-Chem® (green liquid) sold in RV supply stores.  Envirochem contains a valve lubricant substance so I allow a diluted solution to remain in the toilet bowl for that seal and fill the holding tanks to about 1/4.

Here's the Envirochem sales pitch taken from their bottle:

The Enviro-Chem®  brand of toilet treatment is the complete, one-step holding tank
treatment system. With just 4 oz. this patented technology completely maintains your
holding tank with its formaldehyde-free formula. Enviro-Chem® eliminates odors,
breaks down waste and tissue while it lubricates valves and cleans tank.

Environmentally safer than formaldehyde and more effective than enzyme-based
products. Use just one 4 oz. treatment for a 40 gal. tank - that's half the amount
required with most other products.

The Enviro-Chem complete Holding Tank Treatment  cleans the holding tank leaving
a light, fresh fragrance. This eliminates the need for an assortment of products.
Only 4 Oz. is needed to treat 40 gallons of  waste. RVer's love the built-in measuring
chamber and the fresh fragrance

I'd like to learn more about Pure Power, that Ron and Bruce referred to as I am not familiar with that product.  Perhaps it's better for this application.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 03:28:04 PM by Steve, CDN »
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2005, 04:44:55 PM »
Steve,

We have used enviro chem in the past and IMHO it doesnt even come close to Pure Power.

Steve, CDN

• ---
  • VA3VH
    • The Pallys
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2005, 05:20:05 PM »
Ron,

What is Pure Power? 
Steve, Forum Moderator
Home Page
My Polar Bear Mural

Pat

• ---
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2005, 05:32:51 PM »
More to the point, WHERE is Pure Power?  Camping World?  Walmart?  Darn.  I want to slosh it around in the tanks, don't I?  No more time.  Well, unless I can find it at Kmart.  I can stop there on the way to my brother's tomorrow.  I have stuff to do here the rest of today and will be relocating first thing in the a.m., so they can get on the road.

Quarter tank it is.  BTW, there are no solid wastes in my holdings tanks. 

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2005, 06:31:56 PM »
Pure power can be ordered from 1-800-411-8801 as well as purchased in many RV supply stores.  Try googling "Organic power products"

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2005, 09:48:11 PM »
That is not the pure power we are suggesting using in the holding tanks.  Pure power we are recomending is for holding tanks and is marketed by Organic power products.

blueblood

• ---
    • Discovery
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:03:19 AM »
That is not the pure power we are suggesting using in the holding tanks.  Pure power we are recomending is for holding tanks and is marketed by Organic power products.

Ok, How about this one     http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp

Interesting that two companies uses same product name and both are organic.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:11:03 AM by blueblood »
Leo

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2005, 09:07:09 AM »

Ok, How about this one     http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp

Interesting that two companies uses same product name and both are organic.

The very first item shown on that site is the Pure Power I am refering to.  Thanks for posting that.  They even show dealer locations for pure power.

Pat

• ---
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2005, 07:19:28 PM »
Everybody agrees the Pure Power from the http://www.opproducts.com/RVProducts.asp is the right stuff?  A couple places over here on Main carry it, according to the dealer locator, so I'll pick some up tomorrow. 

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2005, 08:50:50 PM »
Pat,

Glad you found a dealer for Pure Power close by.  Hope you like it as much as we do.

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2005, 09:24:40 PM »
Just a note of caution: The MSDS says it contains live bacteria and there is a small risk of bacterial infection if you get it into cuts or open sores. Suggest using appropriate protection when handling it.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Pat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 03:59:32 AM »
kk:  Thanks for the warning about the bacteria.  My hands are always injured one way or another.  The dry air tends to cause problems, plus I'm always doing something that cuts one thing or another. 

I picture these little bacteria crawling around in there.  Do they spread up into sinks, toilet, etc? 

Also, I've heard opinions about not using something with bacteria.  I forget why.  I am a little leery about starting something that has live cultures in it.  If the stuff can spread, couldn't entire RVs become infected?

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 07:51:23 AM »
Pat,

You want the treatments that use bacteria, not the ones with chemicals.  Bacteria are what make septic tanks work, and our holding tanks are miniature septic tanks.  They won't infect your RV :)
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 08:12:29 AM »
Pat,
They will not spread like an airborne bacteria, but will attach to anything they come in direct contact with, such as when you pour it down the toilet or a sink drain. That's what you want. The 'home septic system' types would work equally well except that they won't contain things like seal and valve lubricants and odor reducers commonly found in RV products. Check the label, and make sure you use them at the recommended temperature. Too cold and they just lie dormant; too hot and it kills them before they can do their work. Check the actual temperature of the outside of the tank(s) if possible, and add warm or cool water as necessary.
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Pat

• ---
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 10:47:08 PM »
Holy cow.  I didn't even think of airborne.  I just pictured the little buggers crawling like army ants all over the RV.  Good to know they attach.  I hope they keep the downtube clean. 

I will check the temperature around the tanks.  They get more morning sunlight, but it's still not extremely hot out. 

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Carl L

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2005, 12:46:59 AM »
kk:  Thanks for the warning about the bacteria.  My hands are always injured one way or another.  The dry air tends to cause problems, plus I'm always doing something that cuts one thing or another. 

I picture these little bacteria crawling around in there.  Do they spread up into sinks, toilet, etc? 

Also, I've heard opinions about not using something with bacteria.  I forget why.  I am a little leery about starting something that has live cultures in it.  If the stuff can spread, couldn't entire RVs become infected?

--pat

Pat, you gotta think for a moment....what is in that black tank that is not going to have a fair amount of bacteria already?    The critters you are adding to digest the stuff aren't all that dangerous -- especially compared to the stuff in the tank -- think E. coli for instance
Carl L/LA   [Forum Staff]  KI6SEZ

Prowler 23LV TT pulled by a '95 Ford Bronco

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2005, 01:04:17 AM »
Good point Carl.   ;D

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2005, 10:26:35 AM »
Of course you are right, Carl. Bacteria is already present, but unless your name begins with Joe, most of us take care to minimize the risks(Sorry, Joe; couldn't resist ;). I was merely restating the cautions stated by the manufacturer. E. Coli is certainly nothing to mess with, but the human body has had time to develop resistance to the bacteria we normally come in contact with. The same may not be true for the bacteria in that product.

Pat

• ---
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2005, 05:21:08 PM »
Anyway, you folks are alive to tell about it, so I'm going to try this stuff. 

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I use campground bathrooms.  It's annoying, but I hate the mess of the holding tank even more than the inconvenience.  I met a woman at a Glacier NP campground who is traveling with her husband who has Lou Gehrig's (not sure of spelling) disease.  ALS, I think.  She said she avoids a lot of messy holding tank cleaning by packing used toilet paper in cheap sandwich bags and by avoiding putting any solid waste in her holding tanks.   She has so much else to do, including keeping the inside and outside of their 35' rig clean plus their large van, which is customized to accommodate his wheelchair, that she doesn't have time for cleaning clogged holding tanks.  I felt it was a solution to the whole problem.  So, I assume my e Coli population is probably minimal.  Still, I'm going to use the bacteria.  I like the idea.

--pat
--pat
2001 Chinook Destiny

Hosted by Over The Network