How long is your fishing license?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our local weather is warming up, and I've had an itch to go fishing out on our CA Delta. Today, while picking up meds at the local CVS pharmacy, I bought my 2013 CA fishing license. Starting in 2012 (or was that 2011?), they have a small terminal/printer hooked to the state DFG. They punch in your DL number or prior year's fishing license number, and you get a 'thermal paper' printout about the width of a supermarket register receipt, and approx 2 feet long. They even provide a 'special' pen to sign the license on the thermal paper.

CA has, for a number of years, had a requirement that your fishing license be displayed 'above the belt waist' while fishing. With the old style license, we merely inserted it into a plastic holder attached to a neck lanyard, or with a pin clipped on a fishing hat. When they went to the first 'new' version of the license, I merely folded it and inserted it in the plastic holder. But, with the newest style, maybe I should "fly" it like a kite  ???

Classic case of malignant bureaucracy metastasizing.  Can they be stopped?  Probably not.  Obviously, the bureaucrats writing the rules have never fished.  ::)

Margi

Aye you're right Margi. A number of years ago I attended a seminar at one of the departments in Sacramento. As I walked down the hall (several times), people were staring out the window, apparently with nothing better to do.

Shoot, I thought you meant how long was it good for and I was all excited, ready to tell you I had a lifetime Colorado fishing license. Then I read your post. Never mind.

Wendy, I thought the same thing.  I have a lifetime NC freshwater and sal****er license. 

Florida sells them online and you can print at home, or the store can print with whatever they have,. A bit bulky though - not as neat as the previous card license,

I thought the subject line was clear; It doesn't mention time ???

I've thought about buying a lifetime license, and keep procrastinating. OTOH I don't know if I'd get a much longer piece of paper  ???

When I opened it up, I saw that it's a total length of 39". The actual license is 7" long, and the remainder is a "sturgeon report card". Long report card for a long fish  ???

Didn't think of checking if they sell them online, but they apparently do. Looks like they dropped the requirement to "wear above the waist"; That was a dumb law although, since the old style licenses were issued in a different color every year, just like our vehicle tags, I suppose it made it easier for law enforcement to tell if you had a current year license.

Unless that little machine printed double sided, it appears that the license and report card are printed on "official" CA DFG paper; It has a logo, URL, and even a 'rev date' pre-printed on the back. Looks like waterproof paper, rather than thermal paper. Makes sense since it will be used around water.

Tom, it didn't take me long to realize that you wouldn't butcher the grammar that badly.

However, now that you say the license is made from waterproof paper, I'm thinking that maybe CA expects you to troll with it as bait :-\

It doesn't say somewhere in the fine print exactly how deep to troll, does it? ;)

Lou, I need to check the CA fishing regulations before I can answer. OTOH they're usually indecipherable  ???

Tom, I could be wrong, but...I heard that with these new ones you don't have to have them showing on you, just with you!  We purchased licenses last year when we were fishing at Dardenelles and that's what the Ranger told us.  You may want to check with fish and game to be sure!

BTW, is anyone else having issues with spell check on this site?

Mikie

This topic reminded me to renew my permit to fish the trout & salmon stream in the old country. In addition to a county fishing license, a permit is required from the local angling club who own the fishing rights for the river and tributaries. I joined the club when I was a kid, and renewed my membership every year, including after relocating to CA. One year they granted me lifetime membership, and I just need to request my permit.

You're correct Mikie, and I mentioned in my prior message that they dropped the requirement to 'wear" the license.

Spell check - see bug report.

I may be wrong Tom but I think that the one that they gave you may be just a temporary (like the one that one can print at home). I think that you might get the colored permanent one in the mail.

This is the same as the 'colored' one I received at the drug store last year; That one wasn't considered temporary and wasn't replaced in the mail. This process is not really different from the old style paper licenses where a drug store clerk would tear a license out of a book, except that the info is inputted electronically and printed. With the old style, we had to write all our info such as name, address, height, weight, sex, color of eyes, age, etc, whereas now it's printed by the little printer, and we just sign the bottom. In both cases, I pay the store, they give me a license, and they pay the state of CA.

This reminds me of the story of a fella trying to buy a 2x4 at the lumber yard.  When asked how long he wanted it, he replied, "Pretty long, I planning on using it on my house." ;D

I think if you check the phone book, How Long is a person of Chinese ancestory.

Ken

I just got mine in Florida. If you go to the tax collectors office, over 65 and a Fla res you get a lifetime hunting and fishing license FREE.

Back
Top Bottom