cargo doors won't unlock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havgoods

I have a 2003 ultimate advantage, 40K. The cargo doors on the left side will not unlock by the remote switch at the front door. they will lock by the switch,  and will lock and unlock with the key.
the right side works fine. I checked the circut breakers and the relay for the left side. they are not the problem. I don't have a key fob for the coach, so that's not the porblem.
any suggestions?

havgoods said:
I have a 2003 ultimate advantage, 40K. The cargo doors on the left side will not unlock by the remote switch at the front door. they will lock by the switch,  and will lock and unlock with the key.
the right side works fine. I checked the circut breakers and the relay for the left side. they are not the problem. I don't have a key fob for the coach, so that's not the porblem.
any suggestions?
You might try cleaning and spraying the latches (not the lock cyl) with some white lithium grease.

Did you check the fuses onthe control board for the Entry System????

So you have two separate switches, one for the left side, one for the right side?  The right side will lock/unlock with the door switch and the left side will lock but not unlock with the switch by the door? I'm a little confused.

He has one "mom" rocker switch at the entry door that locks/unlocks all cargo doors at the same time. It locks all as designed, but unlocks only the passenger side. It has nothing to do with the latches as the solenoid at each door trips the lock mechanism inside latch paddle handle.

I've not heard or experienced this problem, but might start by cleaning the switch contacts, then double check the chassis breakers/relays. It obviously has power to the lock function, but not the unlock function. Next thought would be to wonder if the first door solenoid on that side is bad and that somehow disables the others?  Very strange situation!

afchap said:
He has one "mom" rocker switch at the entry door that locks/unlocks all cargo doors at the same time. It locks all as designed, but unlocks only the passenger side. It has nothing to do with the latches as the solenoid at each door trips the lock mechanism inside latch paddle handle.

I've not heard or experienced this problem, but might start by cleaning the switch contacts, then double check the chassis breakers/relays. It obviously has power to the lock function, but not the unlock function. Next thought would be to wonder if the first door solenoid on that side is bad and that somehow disables the others?  Very strange situation!
Good point....... I would think that the solenoids are just like the 2-way door lock solenoids in a car. To have more than one hang up at a time would be very strange.

The only thing that I can think of is if they have the "Open wire" going from the switch to the 1st solenoid and the wire going to the 2nd solenoid is coming off of the connector from the 1st, going to the 2nd then off the 2nd going to the 3rd etc. If the wire has an open circuit anywhere from the switch to the 1st solenoid, none of the solenoids would operate.

That's assuming that there are 3-wires going to each solenoid. 1 ground, one "open" wire and one "close" wire.

Come to think of it, it could be an open ground circuit as well.

I think Wavery has the right solution here.  Go to the first compartment on the side that isn't working and test for signal (power) for the unlock wire when the button is pushed. I would guess that you'll find either a bad connection there or need to trace the wire backwards to the control box to find where the signal is interupted. The signal is typically daisy-chained from one solenoid to another.

Ken

The above seems to be a reasonable approach. I'd measure the good side to establish what the voltage levels should be on each wire.

Ernie

Havgood,
  You said you checked the relay for the left side??  There should be two relays for the left side; one to lock the compartment and the second one to unlock the compartment.  The Lock relays appears to be working.  So, I would look hard for the other relay and check the wire going from the switch near the door to this relay.  As mentioned above the wire is just a ground wire connected to the small "coil" inside the Unlock relay.  (The other side of the coil has 12 volts just waiting for be grounded.)  You should be able to hear or feel the relay "click" when someone presses the lock button at the door.
  There are typically two fuses (and sometimes three) on these system.  One for power to the "coil" on the relays, one for the left side relay for the left locks, and a third for the right relay for the right locks.
  I don't know how long Winnebago has been marking thier wires but you may be able to get the number off the door switch and find the other end at the unlock relay???
  I would attach a ground wire (attached to any metal screw) to the small black wire on the relay to figure which one is the Unlock relay.  It sounds like this relay is not getting any power from the fuse dedicated to the left side, or the fuse powering the "coil" in the relay, or the wire from the relay to the door switch has been "disconnected,", broke, fell off, or something.
  Let us know what you discover.

I'm afraid that I am the one John Canfield was refering to with the lost thread. I posted the results somewhere but as I'm not computer literate I'm sorry. The problem I found on my 2007 Journey 36G was with the relays. There are four relays that control the basement doors located on my coach and they are located in the front of the coach above the generator, on the right hand side. Each side has a lock relay and a unlock relay. The problem was found not to be the relays but the receptacle they are plugged into. While checking mine I found the relays very hard to remove from their sockets. Upon closer examination I could see that the prongs on the relays were actually pushing the connecting wires out of the receptacle therefore losing contact. I don't think the locks were ever working from the factory. They would always unlock but never lock on the drivers side. I discovered they were always unlocked by accident. I removed the complete assembly and pushed the wires back into the receptacle and lo and behold all worked. Hope this helps Little Bill

The switch may be the same from left to right.  If it is swap them out to see if its a simple switch problem.  I'm guessing that's your issue.  Many times the left side switches will wear before the right side switches do simply because they are used most often by the driver.  Start with the simplest solution.

The switch may be the same from left to right.  If it is swap them out to see if its a simple switch problem.
As stated earlier, there is only one switch which operates ALL compartment doors at the same time. But swapping relays out from side to side could be a good way to test for a bad relay.

Back
Top Bottom