mexican healthcare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bingberg

I have done some research and hace decided to have my (extended) deltal work done in los algodones.  I have been less successful finding info on filling prescriptions down there.  What is required other than written prescription from your doctor.  Will they let you fill them for a year?

Pharmacies in Los Algodones do not require prescriptions, and they will sell you whatever quantity you want to buy. However, when you cross back into the US, there's a sign at the US Border Patrol station saying that prescriptions are required and that you can only bring 3 months supply back. If you need it, the pharmacists in Los Algodones will write a prescription.

We've never been asked for a prescription on our return, and nobody has questioned the fact that we had more than 3 months supply.

Go early and try to get back to the border before noon to avoid a long line.

Edit: Don't forget the rules changed a few years ago, and you can no longer use a drivers license to come back into the US; You need either a passport or a passport card.

There's a useful directory of businesses in Los Algodones here. The Purple Pharmacy is one of the largest, and is located just a block from the border. Look for the purple-colored building.

The town is on PST, and some businesses, including Purple Pharmacy, are open 7am - 10pm. Drive to the border and park in the large lot on the US side; It's a very short walk to the border. Some folks drive across, but expect a long wait to drive back across the border. The border closes at 10pm.

And don't expect to find directions to Los Algodones in any road atlas.  You won't find the location of the city of Los Algodones on any road atlas published in the United States.  No one seems to know why that is.

Tom said:
Pharmacies in Los Algodones do not require prescriptions, and they will sell you whatever quantity you want to buy. However, when you cross back into the US, there's a sign at the US Border Patrol station saying that prescriptions are required and that you can only bring 3 months supply back. If you need it, the pharmacists in Los Algodones will write a prescription.

We've never been asked for a prescription on our return, and nobody has questioned the fact that we had more than 3 months supply.

In general Tom is correct for drugs that are not prone to abuse.

For narcotics, tramadol, benzodiazepines, Vistiril, etc. you'll need a prescription and should use caution in bringing such drugs through customs.  I mention this because, after extensive dental work, narcotics may be prescribed.

rsalhus said:
And don't expect to find directions to Los Algodones in any road atlas.  You won't find the location of the city of Los Algodones on any road atlas published in the United States.  No one seems to know why that is.

It's right here on Google maps.

I wouldn't expect to find a small Mexican town on a US road atlas.  I doubt that Spring Branch, TX, is on any Mexican atlas either :)

Good catch re narcotics Jammer. I didn't give them any thought.

I wouldn't expect to find a small Mexican town on a US road atlas.  I doubt that Spring Branch, TX, is on any Mexican atlas either

I would think that all border towns with US Customs services would show up on a US atlas.  I'll bet they all show up on Mexican atlases.  ;D

Unless things have changed recently, the dentists made their appointments on Mountain Time while the rest of the town ran on Pacific Time.  We would see CA patients show up an hour late for their appointments.  Of course, when DST was in effect, the times were the same.

Thanks Ned. I've added a note suggesting that folks check when they make an appointment.

Thanks to all who responded.  Sorry I had some computer problems and didn't get back online until today.  The only medication I take that may be on the list of meds that would fall under the category of needing a prescription for is my Ambien.  If any of you have experience with this particular medication do you know if it is one considered to be abused?  I have chronic insomnia, after working many years as an RN on the overnight shift.  It kills me to watch my husband fall asleep effortlessly by about 9pm, but what can I do?  I love him anyway, just jealous of his sleep patterns.  Oh well!  Thanks again for your help

Beth

Ambien, like Vistaril and Tramadol, is in a grey area.  While not a controlled substance, it would be prudent to have a prescription and keep quantities reasonable.

As a retired Drug and Alcohol therapist, I can assure the Federal govt has made Ambien a controlled substance due to its mood and mind-altering properties. As a result Ambien (and its generic form) is a prescription drug and can only be dispensed x1 every 30 days (strongly adhered to by US pharmacies) and you're 'suppose' to only be able to get in a quantity of 30. Now as sure as I say that, someone will post that they are dispensed in larger amounts. I'm aware some Dr's will write for larger amounts if the pt is sending script off to an insurance plan pharmacy and get a 3-month supply. When I was working I always f/u with pt's dr /ins on what I was being told (pills sell for big $$ on the black market) b/c there are those who will abuse. I haven't found honest people who do that, and, yes, you will test positive for a sedative on a pee test when taking Ambien.  Wow, that was long-winded to say you need to be carrying a valid script for Ambien if you have it in your possession.  Can you get away with 'carrying' it back from Mexico?  I don't know but I'm not willing to take that risk.

Thanks for the heads up Steve.  Not looking to break any laws.  That is why I asked the question.  I am looking at all my meds, which for the most part is for my osteoporosis meds, my husbands diabetic meds, etc.  I will continue to fill my Ambien in the good ole US.  We are on a fixed income and he is not getting medicare as of yet. 

-Beth

Steve's message caused me to do a little research and, as a result, I added this caveat to the library article:

One caveat - do not attempt to bring narcotics back into the U.S. There may be other controlled substances that cannot be brought into the U.S., or may only be allowed in small quantities; The U.S. Customs and Border Protection web site suggests that you "check with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) about importing any medications prior to crossing into Mexico".

Thanks, Tom for the validation. Just like in 'buyer beware,' knowledge is power. Better to provide forum members with a little more knowledge than to get a phone call from one who needs to be bailed out of jail or other legal help!  ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom