Canon SX260 HS, am close to keeping.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TomS, another add on I got for the SX260 was a couple of replacement batteries, here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008TX0RC6/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_1

They so far they are giving me the same life as the original. I keep one in the camera, one in the charger, and one in the soft case pocket mentioned earlier.

The very first thing I do whenever I get a new camera is to take it down to Walmart and find a case for it. I will get spare batteries also. Thanks for the links.

SeilerBird said:
The first time I saw Sir Paul in concert was 48 years ago. The second time I saw him in concert was 47 years ago. The last time I saw him in concert was 37 years ago. I have two copies of Paul's bass hanging on my living room wall. Can you imagine how excited I am?

Noted this on FB from an RVing friend I used to work w/on Satellite installs that is now a sound boom operator in LA for one of the studios with the attached pic of his name tag.

"Got the extreme pleasure of doing sound on interview sir Paul McCartney today at Sony lot, rehearsing for a tour on stage 30 really nice guy.. Rock Royalty"

Attachments

• NealsPassTag.jpg
    NealsPassTag.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 17
Bob - I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this camera to my attention. After a few weeks of use I am in love. As you said, it won't replace a DSLR, but in my case it has replaced it about 90% of the time. It is my go to camera when I walk out the door. The biggest problem with it is that BIF are very difficult. Mainly because of the lack of a viewfinder. I now have 5 cameras. Two with viewfinders and 3 without. I have bought the three without during the last six months and I have discovered that except for shooting BIF I much prefer shooting without a viewfinder. The next biggest problem is the lack of RAW. On most images that doesn't matter, but the camera will blow out whites real easy. With RAW I could fix it easily, but shooting jpg I can't fix the blown whites. It also does terrible in low light situations, but I avoid low light situations anyway so that is not much of a problem for me.

However I have found that next week Canon will release a newer version of the same camera called the DSC-HS50V. It will have a 30x zoom (25-750), a 20 mp sensor, a what looks like better low light. I don't know if it shoot RAW or not but either way I will probably upgrade. If it has RAW I will be upgrading sooner.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Sony/compacts/sony_dschx50v/overview

Here are a few shots taken this last week. The shot of the dragonfly is terrible due to it being overcast, but look at the resolution in the wings. The concert is in a week and I am ready.

Attachments

• Bright orchid.jpg
    Bright orchid.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Cleo pouncing.jpg
    Cleo pouncing.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Dragonfly's wings.jpg
    Dragonfly's wings.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Florida Softshell turtle.jpg
    Florida Softshell turtle.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Tarzan's eyes.jpg
    Tarzan's eyes.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 13
SeilerBird said:
Bob - I must thank you from the bottom of my heart for bringing this camera to my attention. After a few weeks of use I am in love. As you said, it won't replace a DSLR, but in my case it has replaced it about 90% of the time. It is my go to camera when I walk out the door. The biggest problem with it is that BIF are very difficult. Mainly because of the lack of a viewfinder. I now have 5 cameras. Two with viewfinders and 3 without. I have bought the three without during the last six months and I have discovered that except for shooting BIF I much prefer shooting without a viewfinder. The next biggest problem is the lack of RAW. On most images that doesn't matter, but the camera will blow out whites real easy. With RAW I could fix it easily, but shooting jpg I can't fix the blown whites. It also does terrible in low light situations, but I avoid low light situations anyway so that is not much of a problem for me.

However I have found that next week Canon will release a newer version of the same camera called the DSC-HS50V. It will have a 30x zoom (25-750), a 20 mp sensor, a what looks like better low light. I don't know if it shoot RAW or not but either way I will probably upgrade. If it has RAW I will be upgrading sooner.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/Sony/compacts/sony_dschx50v/overview

Here are a few shots taken this last week. The shot of the dragonfly is terrible due to it being overcast, but look at the resolution in the wings. The concert is in a week and I am ready.

Well -- thank you, my friend. I appreciate that feedback. I did really beat that puppy to death before posting and deciding to keep it. It became so nice to discover that I didn't have to go to bridge to have a walk around camera. I wanted it no larger than my smart phone and wanted the lens go complete "go away" when stowed in my pocket or soft case attached to my belt.

Am a bit confused about your link about an upgrade to the SX260? That links to a Sony.

Canon has already upgraded the SX260 to the 270 and 280:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/03/21/Canon-announces-SX270-HS-20x-superzoom-and-SX280-HS-with-GPS-and-Wi-Fi

Also available on Amazon. However, still no RAW. BTW, are you set to shoot in Fine jpg? As to low light, the upgrades include the DIGIC 6 which puts it ahead of most all other Canons, plus they have added WiFi. The incremental cost is about $80.

When I was doing my testing starting in Qz - I had narrowed it down to the 260 and another that had a 2.0 lens. However, I quickly decided the zoom was more important to me and low light is not a biggy with me. If I do have such a need, I will shoot with my 50D instead and 580 flash if needed. I have learned to use the flash and how to match that light with ambient over the years w/film. So as with you now, I always have the 260 on my fanny pack belt along with my Smart Phone - and only have the 50D if I need it beyond that.

Great images you posted, Tom. As you know, I'm borderline paranoid about sharpness of image - and these fit the bill just fine. If I have good light, the SX260 will do the rest as to sharpness. I read specs on some zooms saying not to go out full because they are not as sharp out there - whereas with the 260SX, I almost always shoot at full zoom if zooming at all.

No, not good for Birds or most anything else in flight. However, the locking focus is just great. One evening I was sitting outside the Riverside on a bench about 10pm playing with the settings. The hotel next door had a lit McDonald's sign on the side of their building that was not that large. It was meant for the river walk folk as they passed by. At first, I wasn't about to get a good focus. But then I went again to spot metering, and, once I had the spot on the sign (maybe 1/4 mile away) and the shutter button half way down - I saw that it locked onto the sign no matter how I moved or recomposed. The image was then spot on.

BTW, when going from P, Tv,Av, or M and then back to and from Auto, the metering mode has to be reset. Nice that the 50D remembers all that stuff for me. Also, experimenting with Auto or P -- the Aperture will most always wind up around a 2.0 to 4.0. So I most always shoot in Aperture Priority to get is up to 7.0 or 8.0, of course making sure I have enough light otherwise without maxing the AutoISO. That's  a nice feature of an LCD vs. viewfinder. In that if not enough light at a higher Av setting, a half press of the shutter button quickly shows how dark the shot will be. Otherwise, I will go viewfinder all the time.

Sorry I've rambled vs. doing quotes, Tom - am rushed again today but wanted to respond. Am glad you like the SX260 . . .  :)

I get confused easily Bob, you are right, it is a Sony, not a Canon. They all look alike to me. ;) Interesting camera though, I can't wait to read the reviews.

Yes I always shoot in the highest resolution jpg available.

I also bought the two extra batteries and LCD protector you recommended immediately. I always get the LCD protectors since I rarely keep a camera more than a year before I upgrade and the protector helps me keep the camera looking like new.

Most everything you said about why you got the 260 applies to me too. Zoom is much more important than low light. I too wanted something that fits in my pocket with the lens collapsed.

I am amazed this thing does a ten frame burst. I haven't used it yet other than a small test. I also like the fact it has a built in fisheye setting. Very cool. I am blown away by how much value they can cram into such a tiny box now a days. Reading all the options in the manual made my head spin.

I saw & played with this camera (I think?) in Costco after Bob posted his first report, and I thought WOW! If I didn't already have my SX20is I would have probably bought it, and I'm still vacillating over buying it after reading what you both say about it and the results you both get from it.

Meanwhile, Bob I'm a little confused by your characterizations "fits in your shirt pocket" and "no larger than my smart phone". Neither of those accurately describe the SX260 I was looking at in Costco; It wouldn't fit in my shirt pocket, and it's much larger than my smart phone. Maybe I was looking at the wrong camera  ???

It fits in my shirt pocket but it is larger than a smart phone. I think that volume wise the 260 is the same as my Nexus 4. The Nexus is an inch and a quarter longer, a half an inch wider and about twice as thick.

I don't think there is any reason for you to upgrade Tom unless you want a smaller camera. The SX260 and the SX20 are basically the same camera just in a smaller form. I could get photos that are just as good out of either camera.

Tom said:
Meanwhile, Bob I'm a little confused by your characterizations "fits in your shirt pocket" and "no larger than my smart phone". Neither of those accurately describe the SX260 I was looking at in Costco; It wouldn't fit in my shirt pocket, and it's much larger than my smart phone. Maybe I was looking at the wrong camera  ???

Actually, Tom, it's smaller than my Samsung Charge smartphone. Check out the last image in my SX260 HS Flickr album.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/sets/72157632876767918/

You must have picked up a different camera. I know that Sam's in Bullhead City carried it all the time I was in Laughlin - as I kept asking them when they were going to lower the price plus was able to play with it in the store. Sam's did stop showing it and finally lowered the price on their last one to $209. Probably because the S280 HS was about to be introduced.

Aye Bob, apologies, I just realized it's a different camera. The one I looked at was smaller and lighter than my SX20, but a similar, albeit scaled-down form factor.

SeilerBird said:
The SX260 and the SX20 are basically the same camera just in a smaller form. I could get photos that are just as good out of either camera.

This reviewer didn't like it so much -- especially image quality.

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/canon-powershot-sx20-is/4505-6501_7-33765881.html

But I wasn't into bridge camera's at all so didn't look at any of them in-depth. Into my shirt pocket was a primary criteria item. Now that I think about it, I have never put it in my shirt pocket. Always in the soft case on my belt. I rarely wear a shirt with pockets when shooting. It "has" been in a jacket pocket and also my pants pocket.

Cnet has no business reviewing cameras, they are clueless. The SX260 gets 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 400 user reviews on Amazon. The Sx20 gets 4.3 stars from over 700 reviews on Amazon. What I was referring to was that the specs are virtually identical for both cameras. Here is a direct comparison of the two cameras specs, there is not much difference other than size and weight. 231 grams to 600 grams, the SX20 is much heavier.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sx260hs&products=canon_sx20is

SeilerBird said:
Cnet has no business reviewing cameras, they are clueless. The SX260 gets 4.4 out of 5 stars from over 400 user reviews on Amazon. The Sx20 gets 4.3 stars from over 700 reviews on Amazon. What I was referring to was that the specs are virtually identical for both cameras. Here is a direct comparison of the two cameras specs, there is not much difference other than size and weight. 231 grams to 600 grams, the SX20 is much heavier.

http://www.dpreview.com/products/compare/side-by-side?products=canon_sx260hs&products=canon_sx20is

Yes, I see - close specs. So I would agree. The SX260 is a 3 year newer camera and has Canon's Digic5 vs. 4 image processor. Canon claims the 5 is X times faster with X% more noise reduction. But I don't believe processing speed or noise reduction at higher ISO's impact image quality that much if at all. However, your SX260 may be better for your concert shots next week with the Digic5 on board. Will it be indoors -- outside at night?

Actually, the only evaluation that I ultimately go by is my own - as I did with the SX260. Regardless of the high tech reviews I had read, seeing the sharpness of that gull on a lamp post 20 yards away on my computer screen - or those smaller birds in trees along the river bank -- it was, "where do I sign". It is so nice now with the Amazon's, SAM's, Costco's and such that we can do this without having to live with buyers remorse.

As to Amazon compact or bridge camera reviews. If buying something like a backup battery for one of my toys, they let me know which ones hold up against the ones that came with the toy. And I won't buy without good numbers there on most of the stuff I buy through Amazon. However, when I need some humor in my life, I read the ones on compact cameras. Your descriptive wording of, clueless, comes to mind.  :)

Bob Buchanan said:
    Yes, I see - close specs. So I would agree. The SX260 is a 3 year newer camera and has Canon's Digic5 vs. 4 image processor. Canon claims the 5 is X times faster with X% more noise reduction. But I don't believe processing speed or noise reduction at higher ISO's impact image quality that much if at all. However, your SX260 may be better for your concert shots next week with the Digic5 on board. Will it be indoors -- outside at night?

Actually, the only evaluation that I ultimately go by is my own - as I did with the SX260. Regardless of the high tech reviews I had read, seeing the sharpness of that gull on a lamp post 20 yards away on my computer screen - or those smaller birds in trees along the river bank -- it was, "where do I sign". It is so nice now with the Amazon's, SAM's, Costco's and such that we can do this without having to live with buyers remorse.

As to Amazon compact or bridge camera reviews. If buying something like a backup battery for one of my toys, they let me know which ones hold up against the ones that came with the toy. And I won't buy without good numbers there on most of the stuff I buy through Amazon. However, when I need some humor in my life, I read the ones on compact cameras. Your descriptive wording of, clueless, comes to mind.  :)
I agree the newer processor is nothing but marketing hype. Upgrading a processor is usually the most uneventful thing I ever do.

I put a lot of faith in user reviews. They don't lead my life, but they are an important part of my buying decision. I laugh at the "reviews" produced by magazines and web sites. Even DPReview. They reviewed the Sony a55 when it came out and claimed that the EVF made high speed sports impossible to shoot. BIF would not be possible. Yet it is the best BIF camera I have ever owned. The problem comes from the fact that tracking a BIF successfully is a skill which takes a lot of time to master. So you get some reviewer who doesn't have that skill then of course he is going to be unable to track BIF when he is testing it. So he blames the camera when in fact the reviewer couldn't track BIF with anything.

What I like about user reviews is not so much the wording of the actual reviews, but the numbers. For example the SX260 has 724 user reviews on Amazon. The very first thing I look at is the number of people who gave it a one. In this case that would be 30 users. My rule of thumb is that if there is anything less than 10% of the user reviews then it is a pretty good unit. If it is less than 5% it is spectacular. In this case there is less than 4% of the user reviews with a rating of one putting it into the stratosphere. I also like to read a few of the one reviews to see if there is a common problem that they are all complaining about.

Yes, the people who buy and review P&S cameras are generally not the greatest photographers in the world but there combined wisdom is priceless to me. Right now I am shopping for a used car. I have found several online sources for user reviews of used cars. While each review is basically worthless by itself but when a dozen or so people all complain about the same thing then usually the point is valid. But bottom line the decision is always mine. I simply prefer to listen to actual users who bought and paid for the product rather than some magazine, web site or salesman's opinion, since they can have financial reasons for their opinion.

I have been reading this thread for a couple of months and have decided that this summer I was going to buy an SX260.  I recently saw that they have an updated model now out the SX280.  It cost about $30 more but also has WiFi hookup.  So when the time comes I will probably order from Walmart to be delivered to my store or the RV park.  Either the 260 or 280 seem to be a great camera.  My digital SLR got stolen last summer in Newfoundland and don't want to replace with a large camera.

Actually the difference in price between the 260 and the 280 keeps changing. And to add to the confusion there are three different prices of the 260. I paid $215 for the 260 from Amazon. When Amazon is out of stock, which is frequently due to the massive popularity of the 260, then it can be bought from 3rd party sellers for around $279. But this is the black model. There is a red model that is currently $269 and a green model that goes between $299 and $349. So checking with Amazon's prices every day and you could get the 260 pretty cheap.

There is very little difference between the 260 and the 280. Wifi is about the only thing I can see.

How do you both hold that small camera steady? One reason I bought (another) bridge camera was the easy (for me) grip that allows me to hold it steady.

I steady my camera by holding it with both hands a few inches in front of my eyes. Many people hold a viewfinderless camera way out in front of their body, which really reduces stability. And of course the camera does have image stabilization built in. Most of my shots are in bright sunshine so the shutter speed is usually high enough to over come any shaking. If I am shooting BIF then I switch to S mode. In that mode the aperture is determined by the camera after you select the shutter speed. So long as the shutter speed is over 1/1000th of a second you can't shake the camera.

Another trick I use is to take multiple shots of each subject. Rarely do I take only one shot. I like to keep on shooting and slightly change my point of view each time. By taking lots of shots usually one of them will be in focus, not shaken and have the subject in an interesting pose. Film is cheap so I usually shoot until I am bored or absolutely positive I have a keeper. Patience is a virtue for a photographer.

Thanks Tom; That doesn't work for me with my bifocals. I prefer the added stability of a viewfinder against my face, and I'll often remove my glasses.

Patience is a virtue for a photographer.

That's one of many reasons I'm not a photographer  :(

SeilerBird said:
There is very little difference between the 260 and the 280. Wifi is about the only thing I can see.

Also, this camera is one of the few that now has the Digic6 processor.

I would "really" like to have the Wi-Fi - and was very disappointed I couldn't get it w/the 260. I have that with my Samsung Charge smartphone so can quickly email a shot to wherever I need to for processing, or, post it to my Flickr, FB, and so forth accounts. That vs. transferring it the old fashioned way from the phone. I like the GPS - especially as it posts the shot location to my Flickr map automatically, but in my case, would trade it for the Wi-Fi.

But even bigger than that is the Digic6 vs. Digic5 processor. Image quality gets better with each advancement in processors in terms of low light shots and IS imporvements. So especially with a camera this small, the even better IS is nice plus I do enjoy night photography so more noise reduction is always a good thing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom