Need some help with towing our Honda CRV behind the new MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Groundhog

We just traded in our 5th wheel on a 2006 Forest River Sunseeker, and I have no clue on what kind of towing equipment I will need to tow the Honda. I did call Honda and got their instructions for towing it, but I'm clueless on what I will need to get it done. If anybody can offer any advice on what I need, that would be great.

Plus I have a 15K Reese slider hitch I no longer need. Is there a section to post an ad to either give it away or sell it?

Groundhog

Never mind I found it.  ;D

You need a tow bar that connects to the receiver on the motorhome. I recommend either Roadmaster or Blue Ox brands - both are excellent.  The most convenient (and expensive) type is the hitch that folds and stores on the motorhome when not in use. Roadmaster calls theirs the Falcon (steel) and Sterling (aluminum) see Roadmaster

Blue Ox calls theirs the Alexus or Adventa (steel) and Alladin (aluminum). See Blue Ox

Either one will need a matching bracket for the Honda, which usually consists of a generic piece plus a car-specific mounting bracket (adapter).  Also required will be  a safety chain.

Besides the tow bar, you will need to have the car rigged so that the brake and turn signals work with the otorhomes, just as if it were a trailer. There are a couple ways to do this, e.g. wiring the car's own lights, adding extra bulbs to the car light sockets or simply placing magnetic mount lights on the roof of the car. All work fine.

Last but not least, you should have an auxiliary brake for the toad, something that applies the Honda's breakes when you step on the motorhome brake. This takes the braking load off the motorhome and makes stops substantially shorter. Your Sunseekers brakes are designed to stop only the motorhome's max weight and not the combined weight of the motorhome and the Honda. Blue Ox sells a car brake system and so does Roadmaster, but there are numerous other brands.  One of the most popular is the  Brake Buddy, which is simple to install and use.

All this will set you back a couple thousand dollars but it makes towing safe and simple.

Thanks again Roamer. I'll start looking around for everything I need, but I'm sure I'll have more questions.  :D

Back
Top Bottom