Replacing Norcold 1211 Refrigerator w/Residential or Amish Cooling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cliston said:
Why pay $1200 for the Amish unit when the Samsung residential is around $700-$800?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Good question.

For me it was because we dry camp about 95% of the time. This equates to about 60 days a year.
I didn't want to have to run the generator that much.

But I will be the first to admit that in hindsight and now having a good solar system, I most likely would have gone with a residential unit.

I don?t really like to learn things this way but it is what it is. And I love to learn at least one thing every day. Some days it is good and some days it is bad.

But ultimately, every day is a good day for me! ;D

should I bring this topic up on my trip to Forest City in a couple weeks?

If possible I would get it on your service list prior to arriving in Forest City.  Do you arlready have an appaintment?

The RF197 Samsung that fits in the cabinet designed for a Norcold 1200 lists for around $1500 and the best price I found for a new one delivered was $1149.

Jeff said:
The RF197 Samsung that fits in the cabinet designed for a Norcold 1200 lists for around $1500 and the best price I found for a new one delivered was $1149.

Not to quibble, but the Samsung does require ~5" additional height.  In many installations the Norcold sits on a small cabinet which can be removed or shortened.

Yes, I've got a service appointment scheduled.  I want to get some issues taken care of before the 1 year warranty expires.  The two big things on the list are the refrigerator and why the a/c and heat pump doesn't cool or heat the coach.

I've already spent too much time on the phone with Norcold and Coleman/Airxcel.  One thing I do know by talking to techs at both companies is there is something definitely wrong with both items and I'm looking forward to them getting fixed and working correctly.

Larry N. said:
Remember that you'd need more batteries and a bigger inverter to go with it.
Not necessarily. I always turn my refer off when I am driving and even if I leave it off for 10 hours everything remains cold and everything in the freezer is still frozen.

Hi SeilerBird, what is the longest time that you have dry camped or do you?

And why would you turn the fridge off when driving?

Thank you.

In 2003 we purchased a Samsung refrig for our stick house, 1,455.00.
Had to have it worked on 2 or 3 times before it died at the ripe old age of 7 yrs.
We chose to replace it with a Whirlpool, since we have one 35 years old, still working.

We will see how it turns out.

Larry N. said:
Remember that you'd need more batteries and a bigger inverter to go with it.

Larry,

Few if any of the people that I  am aware of who  made the change to a residential refer added batteries or got bigger inverters.  Most had 4 golf cart 6 volt batteries and 2000 watt inverters.  They seem to be doing fine even with boon docking.  They do say that they have to run the generator a little longer, about an hour, while off the grid.  That really is not a problem and a few have added to their solar system to compensate that way.

hes4all said:
Hi SeilerBird, what is the longest time that you have dry camped or do you?

And why would you turn the fridge off when driving?
I don't dry camp. I turn it off when driving because I think it is safer not to have propane items running when I am driving. They must be turned off anyway when you gas up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsWebster
Back
Top Bottom