Tow vehicle for 10000 lb trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dannyljr

I just purchased a travel trailer 30 foot with 9800 lbs GVWR. Will a half ton pickup with a large gas engine be ok? Should I opt for a 3/4 ton pickup?

A 150/1500?  Not really.  That is a big TT: it will want a tow vehicle rated at 12, 250 lbs or more out in the West.    Even on the flats of the east coast,  it would like a truck of some 11,000 lbs tow rating.    Such ratings are a lot rarer in the 1500s than in the 2500s.

You can equip a new F150 to tow it, but by the time you do, you'd be better off to get into a 3/4 ton truck.  In the realm of travel trailers, that puppy is HEAVY.  If you're gonna get anywhere near the mountain west, I'd go at least a 2500/F250 class of truck, preferably a diesel. 

Yep, what they said.  Even if you get the 1/2 ton with the proper ratings, you will not like how it tows.  Do youself a favor and get the right tool for the job.

Google Trail-hauler.. Go with one of those, Don't worry about it :)

Seriously  that is way too much for an F-150,  it is more in the range of an F-350 custom.

There are half ton trucks with tow ratings in the 10,000 lb range, but that is really asking a lot of them. Since you know you are getting a heavy trailer, go for a 3/4 ton model (F250/2500). As for gas vs diesel, the diesel is a better heavy hauler. However, the Ford 6.2L V8 is a pretty powerful engine and ought to be up to the chore.

My 5th wheel is just a little heavier. I have a 06 F250 with a V-10.  It does a good job, but I would not want anything with less power.  I have towed with a half ton years ago.  I feel much safer in a 3/4 ton pickup.  Much more in control of the load and I know my stopping ability is greater.  I would only pull a much smaller trailer with a 1/2 ton. 

Any of 3/4 tons and up will handle it no problem.  As for gas vs diesel, your gonna like the low end torque of the diesel for that git-up-and-go.  Plus the fuel mileage is usually better and they are great when pulling those mountain passes.

I guess I'm gonna be the lone wolf here so don't beat me up too much.

My F-150 pulls our 9698 lb TT with no issues.  (My truck is rated at 11,300 with the Max tow Package) All I had to do was add Firestone Air bags to the rear and she does a remarkable job.

Honestly speaking, If I towed the TT on a regular basis I probably would of opted for an F-250 but we only go off in it every 4 or 6 weeks. The difference in gas mileage between the F-150 EcoBoost and the F-250 is night and day. Considering it's my daily driver I opted to stay with the F-150 and have no regrets.

I always figure that anything that has a loaded weight (going down the road) of 8K or less, a properly set up 1/2-ton will do a pretty good job. Anything more and it is time to step up to a heavier duty truck. IMHO anything over 8K it is also time to consider a diesel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom