Travel Trailer vs. Fifth Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

May2015

Are there any significant differences between a travel trailer and a fifth wheel? I know travels are typically lighter and boxier, and fifths usually have higher ceilings and are bigger. Are the fifth wheels easier to tow? We are leaning toward a Dodge Ram 2500 or 3500 to pull it with. Would you recommend paying the extra $10-20K for a fifth wheel?

I am a 5th wheel person so a little biased. But I have towed many travel trailers and boats and nothing compares with the ease of towing a 5th wheel. Hardly know it is there, no pulling the truck around and feeling like the tail wagging the dog....plus very easy to hitch up one person can do it, since you can see the hitch.

My other primary reason for going with the 5th wheel was a separate bedroom serving no other purpose, up over the bed of the truck out of the way and I don't need to fold out a couch or drop a dinette before going to bed.

Get a 5er with a slide and you will have a full time RV and easy to pull. 2500 will tow a bunch of 5th wheel and a 3500 will tow even more!

Good Luck in your search...

Jim

Thanks Jim, We considered 5th wheel but we will be needing the bed space in the truck for stow 2 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes. I guess a 5th wheel toy hauler could do the job of storing the bikes but we don't want anything too long and don't want to sacrifice living space for it. Does this make sense?

Fifth wheel is inherently more stable, but a properly set up travel trailer will tow well too.  We went from a fiver back to a TT because we wanted use of the bed of the truck.  Each has pluses and minuses.  For a given size, a travel trailer is typically lighter than a fiver, but the fiver will generally have more storage. 

Wigpro said:
I am a 5th wheel person so a little biased. But I have towed many travel trailers and boats and nothing compares with the ease of towing a 5th wheel. Hardly know it is there, no pulling the truck around and feeling like the tail wagging the dog....plus very easy to hitch up one person can do it, since you can see the hitch.

My other primary reason for going with the 5th wheel was a separate bedroom serving no other purpose, up over the bed of the truck out of the way and I don't need to fold out a couch or drop a dinette before going to bed.

Get a 5er with a slide and you will have a full time RV and easy to pull. 2500 will tow a bunch of 5th wheel and a 3500 will tow even more!

Good Luck in your search...

Jim
Mr Sunshine said:
Thanks Jim, We considered 5th wheel but we will be needing the bed space in the truck for stow 2 mountain bikes and 2 road bikes. I guess a 5th wheel toy hauler could do the job of storing the bikes but we don't want anything too long and don't want to sacrifice living space for it. Does this make sense?

Yea it makes sense - you do lose a good portion of the bed of the truck. I have a generator forward of my hitch in my truck and two storage cases by the tailgate, but they do make bike racks for the back of a 5th wheel. I put a storage rack on the back of mine which would easily hold a couple bikes and if i stacked them I could put 4 on it.

TT are easy to tow with the right vehicle and loaded properly. I just refer hitching up since I am alone to the 5th wheel and not wanting a big unit meant not having a dedicated bed in most TT so I chose the 5er. I am shopping now for a bigger truck and next year a little bigger 5th wheel.

Never completely happy are we!

Jim

Look around for some used stuff. I know of a Montana 5th in real good shape for $14,900. It's a 2005, but would need a 250/2500 to pull it.  There are
many rigs out there in great shape for the $15-$20,000 both in TT and 5ers.  5ers usually cost more but not that much more unless you are looking only at new.

Thanks all for your comments. I see now why 5ers are the preferred rv.

Depends on when and where you'll be using it.  If you'll be in the southern part of the country in the summer or anywhere but the desert southwest in the winter you'll greatly prefer an "all seasons" rig with it's greater insulation.

You'll have to balance that out against the heavier weight of a better insulated unit and the higher fuel consumption, both towing and solo, of the bigger truck needed to haul it.

JCZ said:
Now the next question.......a lightweight or an "all seasons"?  ;)

Speaking from experience this winter - get an ALL SEASON and if possible shop for enclosed waste tanks or heated...the better insulation will serve you well in both summer and winter, but the heated or enclosed waste tanks will make your life much, much easier. I had frozen tanks for most of this winter and it is a chore to deal with....I need a little more space and began shopping for a new 5th wheel a couple months ago and firmly decided a "winterized unit" is the only option. Of course I am from Alaska and so by rights I should have that....but I spend my summers in Alaska and my winters in the lower 48, usually try to be someplace where freezing is not an issue, but even here in Arizona I have been dealing with things frozen....everyone says it is an unusual winter which I am sure it is, but doesn't matter, I am still having to deal with it....

My advice is plan for being in the cold at some point in time, cause you will whether you want to or not!

Jim

I regret not getting double-pane windows when we got ours. We don't camp in extreme conditions but the condensation on the windows any time we run the heater is crazy.

We traded our TT in last year for our first 5th wheel. I do miss the bed space.....a bunch! One thing I didn't think about is the hitch being there all the time. So any time you want to haul something you need to plan accordingly. Just something to think about. Now, given that would I go back to a travel trailer? No way. My 5'er pulls so much easier. In windy conditions is when you'll really notice but you'll notice a difference anyway. Everyone is different but I hope that helps some

I'll always say travel trailer.

* No loss of bed space in the truck.
* ATV can be hauled in the pickup and not a double trailer setup.
* if my topper is on then the truck bed turns into major storage area for camping.
* If my truck breaks down anyone with a ball can tow my trailer.
* No rails or 5th wheel plate needs to be bolted in the bed.
* The floor in the RV is flat.

Mopar1973Man said:
I'll always say travel trailer.

* No loss of bed space in the truck.
* ATV can be hauled in the pickup and not a double trailer setup.
* if my topper is on then the truck bed turns into major storage area for camping.
* If my truck breaks down anyone with a ball can tow my trailer.
* No rails or 5th wheel plate needs to be bolted in the bed.
* The floor in the RV is flat.

Summed up nice and tidy.  :)

If push came to shove, you could rent a U-Haul truck and get your trailer back home. 

For those that have troubles hooking up a TT you can always buy the fiberglass poles with magnets on the ends.  One goes on the trailer hitch and one on the truck ball.  When the truck one tips over you are lined up.  Piece of cake.

The only time I have troble hooking up the TT is when my wife is giving me instructions!  ::)  I prefer to do it by myself.

I've got a weird method that seems to work. When I installed my level bubbles on the trailer I measured for dead center and placed it right above the pin stripe on the trailer. Now I unlatch my topper glass and the handle is pointing straight up. So now line handle of the topper glass with the bubble level slowly creep back till I tap the tongue. The roll forward about 1 inch and set the brake. Get out and drop the hitch on the ball. This method only works if I'm straight parallel to the trailer if I'm hitching at a langle then I need second set of eyes or jump in and out to get it.  ::)

Lowell said:
The only time I have troble hooking up the TT is when my wife is giving me instructions!  ::)  I prefer to do it by myself.

Clearly heard those instructions this morning when my neighbor pulled out...come on back, come on back, come on back BAM - Stop!!

That's when the yelling began....time for me to get up and put on the coffee and go watch!! It can be entertaining sometimes watching people hitch up!

Jim

Pointerman said:
For those that have troubles hooking up a TT you can always buy the fiberglass poles with magnets on the ends.  One goes on the trailer hitch and one on the truck ball.  When the truck one tips over you are lined up.  Piece of cake.

I use those magnet sticks with the tennis balls on the end.  The longest it's taken me to hitch up is 5 minutes, and that was at an angle.  I usually get it first or second shot.  It's a non issue in the decision of fiver vs TT. 

Back
Top Bottom