My blue ox patroit brake keeps moving around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wstuart

Does anyone else have this problem, or have you come up with an answer.
After setting up the break box and pushing the "set up button"  the box starts to move around after the second or third press of the brake pedal.  I have tried moving the seat up and down, and changing the feet on the brake box itself.
Any ideas?

Cheers!

Not the answer your looking for, but I'm having that problem with my Brake Buddy. Will be watching for replies, I was told that I must not be following the setup step by step, but its kind of like setting up a new TV, I do good through the thanks for your purchase thru installing batteries in remote. Then it goes fuzzier from there!

I had this problem when I purchased a Roadmaster equivalent to the Brake Buddy for our Suburban. The only way I could stop it moving around was to build a plinth (like a false floor) with recesses for the feet of the Roadmaster box to sit in. This didn't solve all the issues with the Roadmaster, and I finally gave up and bought the M&G system instead. That was 8 years ago, and no problems with the M&G.

My Roadmaster Evenbrake moves around or more accurately shifts during operation but never loses its position necessary activate the brake. There is no way other than bolting to floor it is not going to move some. I have never had any braking issues or failures during two years in use.
I have my seat adjusted almost all the way forward with the front all the way up in front which gives the brake only about 1/2" inch of any possible freeplay. (I pushed brake all the way forward until activating rod is actually starting to press on the brake pedal and adjusted seat to keep it there.)
How much does yours move?
Bob

Bob, I should clarify that my Roadmaster was the model prior to Evenbrake; An expensive piece of junk that they eventually redesigned. A Roadmaster employee apologized to me for being one of many unhappy folks.

Our Apollo does move a bit when actuated but it's never come off the brake pedal.  If that should happen I would suspect the springs were weakened and needed replacing.

Tom,
No need to apologize to me...in the game late enough to avoid some early junk and learn from a great forum and staff  ;D .
(Do I get brownie points for this)
Bob

When I installed my Patriot system in my Jeep I experimented with several ways it could sit on the floor. With the legs, without legs. Raising and lowering the bracket on the back of the Patriot to adjust to the seat level etc. I found that if I don't have the rubber mat on the floor beneath the Patriot it does move around quite a bit. Blue Ox does sell a seat stiffening device which I also think I may purchase because the front of my Jeep seat seems quite soft as the brake energizes.

I read about all the problems with braking systems. RVers dragging their toads down the road with the brakes energized etc. Power consumption etc. I just decided on the Patriot because of the remote control that is in the MH. I can adjust the sensitivity and also operate the brake manually from within the MH. The remote will also indicate when the brakes are applied to my toad. It would also indicate if the break away is energized or if the break away system is operational while driving down the road.

I know the permanent mounted systems are probably better. I have enough problems just finding a mechanic capable to do a lube on my MH let alone cutting into brake lines etc. JMHO. I think the Patriot system will work out well for me since for years back in the 80s I towed an 89 Geo behind my Pace
Arrow without any type of braking system.

It does not move around that much, sometimes ends up a bit tilted.  Have never had any braking issues, I guess it just bugs me.
DW sees it tilted a bit, and I start getting the questions!  LOL

Thanks for the input

Cheers

I put a piece of plywood (counter top origin) on the floor for the Patriot system to sit on.... But the real key is to have the seat REALLY snug against the brake unit so the unit itself barely moves and the only thing that moves is the plunger ....
Ours has worked great since I learned to always have it really snug ( very snug but not enough to have the brake light kick on)  before running the test....

The front of my Jeep seat is soft and tends to allow the unit to move around. I priced the plate that Blue Ox sells to stiffen the seat area and they want $55 so I am building one using a piece of 10 inch dia pvc pipe. Just using a 6 inch arc of about 18 inches long from the pipe. DW will cover it with vinyl and put Velcro on it.

I had the same problem when I first got my Patriot. The solution was a "L" shaped platform I made out of 2 pieces of plywood. it sits in the floor and against the seat. Works perfect every time. I can send you a picture if it will help.

Mike

I tow a Jeep Rubicon and made out of plywood a stiffener that sits between the Patriot and the front of the seat - it works well. The biggest problem is getting the arm attached to the brake pedal - there's just not much room to get in there and hook it up. Other than that, get it really snug. Have the unit pressed on the pedal just almost to the point that the brake light comes on.

Bill

Same issue with a Brake Buddy. I have Becky stand in back of the toad when I'm hooking it up and I snug it right up to the point where it almost pushed the brake pedal. Very little play. Does the trick for us in the Honda.

Does anyone else have this problem, or have you come up with an answer.
After setting up the break box and pushing the "set up button" the box starts to move around after the second or third press of the brake pedal. I have tried moving the seat up and down, and changing the feet on the brake box itself.
Any ideas?

Cheers!
We ended up buying a small dog bed to keep it from bouncing around. Worked great!!!!

I had the same problem with mine and ended up putting a 1" angle iron on the front of the seat frame for the cusion on the back of the brake buddy to rest against. It can't move after I removed a portion of the angle for the cusion to rest in.

Back
Top Bottom