10k to play with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpartanKen

I live in Mid Michigan and will be buying my first travel trailer in the next 3-4 weeks. I have about $10,000 to play with. I have been doing soime searching on the typical for sale sites and a few dealers website. I have a 05 F150 and would like to stay in the 24-28 foot range. There are 4 of us in my family. The wife and I are in our late 30's and our children are 5 and 2. We liked the trailers that have bunk bed set ups and would prefer a slide out. (Bumper Pull)

With that said, what brand should I stay away from? I know opinions will vary.

We have owned a pop up for years

Ken

Before you do anything, find out the maximum tow rating for your truck.  Before you settle on any trailer, determine if the GROSS (not dry) weight of the trailer falls within it's tow rating from the manufacturer.

Beyond that, buy the floorplan you like best and don't worry about brands.

Finally!  A fellow Michigander on the site other than John from Detroit!  West MI resident here. 

The best piece of advice I can give you is to take your time.  Don't rush into buying something just because the camping season is right around the corner.  A bad purchase can make your camping trips miserable and expensive.    Research floor plans that will work for your family.  A slide out is a great option that I recommend.  You won't be sorry.  The more room your family has to move around inside on the yucky days and in the evening before bedtime, the happier you all will be.  I have a double bunk in my Jayco.  My son, when he was still young, always wanted to bring along a friend or two.  No problem because I had a couple extra beds for them.  Bunk beds worked out great for the kids. 

The question of what brands to stay away from?...
A loaded question to say the least.  There are so many variables that I am guessing you will be sifting through the replies.  I'm assuming you are looking for a nice, slightly used TT to fit the bill.  They are out there.  Again, take your time and do the research.  Once you get something narrowed down, make darn sure your tow vehicle is equipped to handle it.  Can't stess that enough!  If your not sure, ask questions.  That's why this forum is here.

FYI...
We started out doing the PUP thing also.  Bought new and towed for quite a few years.  Stuck with the same brand when upgrading.  Due to a job I got later which involved delivering the metal for Jayco and Forest River manufacturing plants in Middlebury and Goshen, IN., I was glad I did.  I was able to actually watch the manufacturing process and got to know a lot of the people involved.  I stuck with a Jayco.  JMHO.

Bottom line is you need to get a good handle on what your family will need to be comfortable and make the whole experience fun.  Then figure in that the kids are going to grow like weeds within a few years.  Add in future plans.  All things to consider.

I am not trying to talk you out of anything or point you in a direction you will hate me for.  I only want you to make a decision that will make your family camping the best you can afford.  That's what it's all about for all of us. 

Frizlefrak said:
Before you do anything, find out the maximum tow rating for your truck.  Before you settle on any trailer, determine if the GROSS (not dry) weight of the trailer falls within it's tow rating from the manufacturer.

Beyond that, buy the floorplan you like best and don't worry about brands.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2005/2005_F150.pdf

6600 LBS via Ford Fleet site.

SpartanKen said:

OK....you'll want to discount 10% off of that in the flat lands, 20% in the mountain west.  5940 for flat land towing, and 5280 lbs if you tow out here in the high country.  Remember, those tow ratings mean one 150 driver, no passengers, luggage, or fuel.  Deduct for all. 

You should be able to find a mid 20' travel trailer in that weight range.  Now...make 3 lists:

1.  What it MUST have.
2.  What it CANNOT have
3.  What would be nice to have.

Stay hard and fast to lists 1 & 2.  If you violate those, you will hate the unit later.  Get as much as list 3 as is possible.  Take your time, don't rush into anything. 

Happy hunting!!

SpartanKen said:

Wow, that's only 100# more than my Nissan Frontier. 

braindead said:
Wow, that's only 100# more than my Nissan Frontier.

Small V8 & 3.55 axle lugging around a larger body and underpinnings.  Going up to the 5.4 V8 and 3.73 axle gets it up to 9800. 

Yes, I pretty much have my layout, which includes at least 1 set of bunks and a queen, with slide out.

I figured I could knock off 1000lbs off the rating.

Where do I find the specs on older model campers, I see most manufactures purge their sites of older model info. No sense in falling in love with something I can't have.

Ken

SpartanKen said:
Yes, I pretty much have my layout, which includes at least 1 set of bunks and a queen, with slide out.

I figured I could knock off 1000lbs off the rating.

Where do I find the specs on older model campers, I see most manufactures purge their sites of older model info. No sense in falling in love with something I can't have.

Ken

Ken...

You will see a placard on the left front of the trailer that lists gross weight.  That is the number you want to keep under your trucks tow rating.

I think NADA.com has weights for RVs going back a number of years.

Ken,
Don't forget to keep tabs on Craigslist, the local repo yards, and auctions available in your area.  Many goods deals can be found that way if you are the first one to jump on it.  You might be able to get something a little better and/or newer under the right circumstances if you are the first one there.

It also sounds like you might have a basic floor plan in mind.  Good news.  Bad news is the 4.6 powerplant in your truck without knowing the gear ratio IMHO.  Unless I misunderstood something, you didn't mention if your truck was a 2X4 or 4X4 which made a difference in the gear ratio.  281 CID isn't a lot of guts.  I have a feeling this may be the determining factor as to what you want compared to what you can tow (wet weight plus cargo).  I'm thinking smaller than what you wished for.

Hope it works out for you.

4x4 373 gear - 4.6

It hauls my 20 enclosed car hauler / 65 mustang just fine... not going to win any races any time soon, but it should handle 6000 lbs fine. but I wouldn't go above that. The car hauler is 3200 lbs and the Mustang is 2700-2800. Don't get me wrong... the gas milage sucks!

I do plan on buying a "bigger" truck, but not for another year or so.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom