Nails on a blackboard!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SVTotem

That is what it sounded like most of the day. I finally got "Mercedes" out for her first trail ride in the Ocala National Forest. Had a ball.

Florida does not offer what a lot of you might think of when trail riding is mentioned. It is more like Top Gear meets Swamp People. In most cases the trails are soft sand and not quite as wide as the jeep, so pin stripes are hard to avoid. Our only obstacle other than three water crossings was a short but steep sand hill. The Rubicon made it up with some slipping and sliding, but the backseat looks like the cat's litter box.

We will be hooking her up to the motorhome at the end of the month for our trip west for some off-roading in Arizona, Colorado and Texas.

Attachments

• OcalaNF3613dSML.jpg
    OcalaNF3613dSML.jpg
    356.6 KB · Views: 55
  • OcalaNF3613eSML.jpg
    OcalaNF3613eSML.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 52
Hi Bill,
Funny that you mention getting "Mercedes" out! I just backed my wife's TJ out of the garage. Started right up, had one tire a little low (bead lock leaks) and that was it. I am going to drive her to town today and maybe go play at our local rock garden for a little.

Where do you go to in Colorado? That is a great place for wheeling for sure.

Be safe! ;D

SVTotem said:
...so pin stripes are hard to avoid. ...
Good for you Bill, glad you got her out on the trail (such that it was  :D)!  Our sides are very pinstriped as is the soft top, I try to avoid running into limbs and branches but when it happens it's not a big deal.

Join the FMCA 4-Wheelers and do Moab with us the second week of May.

John Canfield said:
Join the FMCA 4-Wheelers and do Moab with us the second week of May.
You have never invited me John. Just joking, I have known about that rally for a long time now. It would be hard for me to make that. I volunteer as the golf coach at our high school and the dates fall on state golf time. But someday I will for sure.

As for pin stripes, I'll say only one thing. We have bitter brush here.  Nasty stuff, almost better to go over it then try to miss it!

Have a good day.

I had the side and rear window out to avoid scratching the soft windows, but that presented another problem. Bushwhacking like we were I am now finding ticks in the jeep! While  visiting Barbara's mom in the hospital today to celebrate her 91st birthday I took the opportunity to set off a fogger in the garage with the jeep opened up. Hope that gets them. Now when I drive I have the creepy crawlies thinking they are on me somewhere. (John, I don't remember you mentioning this part of the fun.) maybe it is just a jungle thing, this is Florida after all.

Tomorrow our club is having a "Show and Shine". We expect over 250 jeeps from the region, lots of vendors, lots of raffle prizes (good stuff like a winch, CO2 tank, etc!). Should see a lot of crazy setups. The Tropical Jeep Club is a Latino group big in fancy paint and humongous stereos playing salsa. They usually show up in numbers and keep things jumping.

Ticks - yuk. Maybe you could set off a bug bomb in the Jeep - not sure if that would kill ticks but it's worth a look.

We always wheel with the top intact primarily to keep the dust out and cold air in.  The younger guys prefer the fresh open air (cough, cough.)  Scratching the side panels of the top is really no big deal - it's not that noticeable.

Your Show and Shine sounds like fun!  I enjoy looking at how others have set up their rides.

That is pretty much what I did yesterday, John. I opened the jeep up, then fogged the garage while we went to the hospital to celebrate Barbara's mom's 91st birthday.

Show and Shine was a great success. We had close to 300 jeeps. Quite a variety, but it made our jeep look pretty puny since I have not gotten any lift to her yet. Fantastic raffles. Lots of small stuff, but an iPad, two Kindle Fires, a winch, a couple hi-lifts, a CO2 air up tank, and numerous gift certificates. Must have been $2000 worth of stuff given away. I didn't get butkis, but had a good time. There were several vendors and one out of Tampa  had a useful item. New straps for holding up the rolled up rear window. Our elastic bands are sadly stretched out.

Came away with lots of ideas, but all cost $$$, so one day at a time as they say.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 14
SVTotem said:
...Quite a variety, but it made our jeep look pretty puny since I have not gotten any lift to her yet. ...
No matter what you've done to your Jeep, somebody has you out-modded  :D.  Since you are mostly stock, then that's a given, BUT - you have a clean slate to start the upgrades which is an advantage.  Go wheeling, take your time and figure out an upgrade path.

John Canfield said:
No matter what you've done to your Jeep, somebody has you out-modded  :D.  Go wheeling, take your time and figure out an upgrade path.
That is the best advice you can get. I know that for a fact. :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom