EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island  (Read 8772 times)

jim and di

• ---
the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:07:22 AM »
Well we are at the end of our first week down under. Driving is a process,left side of the road, steering from the right, looking for a mirror on the right but its on the left and I wore out a set of wipers trying to getting the turn signals to work.
However, this place is a candy store for the eyes, we are now in the southern Alps snow covered peaks and new views at every turn. Lots of C  and B RVs but Diane wanted this to be a B&B TRIP
The roads are excellent and lots of places for RV parking. Tomorrow a cruse ship in Doubtful Sound then we start North
2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 02:54:10 AM »
Sounds like a great trip Jim. NZ is one place I've wanted to visit for many years, but never made it down there. Hope we get to see some photos.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

M1894

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:58:07 PM »
Yup, they drive on the wrong side of the road in the U.K. and Japan as well. When I picked the wife up at Lakenheath back in the 60's I was driving a Alfa Romeo Roadster that I brought over from the States.[Left Hand Drive] and she was sitting in the suicide seat. The worst part was after being there for three years I got behind the wheel here in the States and had to be reminded at the Gate that I was on the wrong side of the road. Some people need to learn that right is right, and left is wrong! ;D
LEE & PEGGY
1996 BLUEBIRD 40 ft./W Tag
1984 FC35SB Bluebird (Given to eldest son)
1 TeraTrike Rover Recumbent Tricycle (Tadpole Type) (Wife's )
1 Catrike Trail Recumbent Tricycle [Tadpole Type]
2001 Chevrolet Cavalier [Tow]
FMCA F95946
GOOD SAM  LIFE MEMBER
ESCAPEES SKP# 106592
Arkansas

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:51:58 PM »
Quite a few more countries drive on the left  ;)

RoyM

• ---
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:09 PM »
Japan is the only non Commonwealth country I am aware of that drives on the left.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:27:50 PM by RoyM »
Ram 2500 diesel
Prowler fifth wheel
Urge to travel

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:38:34 AM »
Here's a 'right/left by country' list:

http://www.i18nguy.com/driver-side.html#countrytable

It still blows my mind when I recall Sweden switching from left to right in the 60's; They made the switch over a weekend, with a LOT of planning and preparation.

Wavery

• ---
  • Fallbrook, California.......... (San Diego County)
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:47:32 AM »
I sailed all the way around New Zealand in 1986. I skippered one of the cruise ships in Milford Sound for a month to relieve a skipper that hadn't had a vacation in 2 years. I loved Fiordland (except for the Sand Flies).

We were the 1st American Yacht to ever circumnavigate both islands in NZ....... We stayed in Fiordland for 4 months then I sailed alone to Antarctica in Dec and returned in January. We bought a car in Christchurch and spent 3 months touring the South Island in a tent...... those were good times.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 02:02:06 AM by Wavery »
Wayne
Wife, Carolyn...... 5 kids.... 19 grandkids.
1998 33' Winnebago Adventurer ('97 Ford 460 V8, F53 chassis) 33WQ -Banks PowerPak, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks
Retired GM Service Manager driving a Ford....What's the world coming too??

SeilerBird

• ---
  • Everything I state is my opinion.
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:19:43 AM »
... then I sailed alone to Antarctica in Dec and returned in January.
Now that just blows my mind. I am jealous. I took the liberty of trying to improve your slides. They are such classic shots. I hope you like them, if not then ignore them.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:21:31 AM by SeilerBird »
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMSw5eVkCfKuuEOP2
My portfolio:
https://goo.gl/photos/Cx4SaYhGfYFShSty7
My Grand Canyon shots:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nc1AT8tQp25wJwfm1

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
Nice slides, Wavery, and nice retouching, Tom.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:54:50 AM »
Thanks Tom......I saved them.......

I'm not that talented and as you might imagine, I have thousands of them (I'll try not to bore people by posting too many over time  ::)).

I had my old VHS tapes put on DVDs about 6 years ago. About 30 out of 50 VHS tapes didn't survive the trip. The one's that did need to be re-done in HD and cleaned somehow.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 09:56:34 AM by Wavery »
Wayne
1998 33' Winnebago Adventurer ('97 Ford 460 V8, F53 chassis) 33WQ -Banks PowerPak, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »
My husband isn't to far away from you.  He is in Malawan, in East Kalimantan, on the island of Borneo, in Indonesia.  They have lots of Australians that work there.  He has taken up diving there and says its beautiful.  Been there about a year and a half, not sure if he will be much longer.  However, he works in a camp in the jungle, so doesn't get to see as much as he would like.  He does get to Balipapan on occasion though.  He belongs to the Hashtown Harriers and a local dive club.

He drives on the left side of the road and each time he comes home has a time adjusting.   

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 10:50:40 AM »
He drives on the left side of the road and each time he comes home has a time adjusting.   
Watch him on left turns when he gets home  :o......... they are the worst for awhile.... :P
Wayne

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »
Yes, he is gone for 10 weeks and home about 2.  I see him go out of the driveway and turn into the other side of the road, he catches himself pretty quick.  Luckily this is a sort of country road, but he really has to watch. However over there he said there are not much rules to the road, mainly how to avoid the car size potholes.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2013, 06:51:08 PM »
I chuckle at the left/right stuff. I lived for 32 years in a left-side drive country, 33 years in a right-side drive country, and spent many years traveling between right/left/any side countries on several continents. If there's other traffic around, it's pretty easy to switch, especially when the steering wheel is on the correct side of the vehicle. Caught myself just a few times over the years, almost always when there was no other traffic around.

I don't do any-side drive though  :o

Meanwhile, anyone notice which side you mail carrier drives vs where the steering wheel is  ;)

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »
I bet its beautiful there, would love a trip like that myself.  Just sounds wonderful, enjoy.

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 09:04:10 AM »
Co-incidentally, last evening my other half was watching Househunters International on TV, and my ears perked up when I heard "Wellington, NZ". Of course, this is the south end of North Island, whereas Jim and Di are visiting South Island. But I still enjoyed watching the few clips of neighborhoods, both on the beach and further inland.

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:47:11 AM »
Co-incidentally, last evening my other half was watching Househunters International on TV, and my ears perked up when I heard "Wellington, NZ". Of course, this is the south end of North Island, whereas Jim and Di are visiting South Island. But I still enjoyed watching the few clips of neighborhoods, both on the beach and further inland.
If it weren't for the fact that we have grandkids (14), we would retire in NZ..... We fell in love with a small town on the north end of the South Island called "Nelson". The climate is quite close to SoCal and it's just a beautiful, peaceful place. Wellington weather is more like San Fransisco..... wet & rainy.... funny because it's just 50 miles north but it's the other side of the Cook Straight. The Cook Straight develops it's own weather systems and is the nastiest piece of water on the planet.
Wayne

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
Aye, we have our share of micro-climates here in the SF Bay area. In my youth, before I understood the climate variation, I thought I'd like to emigrate to NZ. One "attraction" was that the climate was similar to the UK; Where we lived it was more like Seattle weather.

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
Aye, we have our share of micro-climates here in the SF Bay area. In my youth, before I understood the climate variation, I thought I'd like to emigrate to NZ. One "attraction" was that the climate was similar to the UK; Where we lived it was more like Seattle weather.
NZ is quite a unique little part of the planet. For being so small.... it has the largest variation of climates that one could imagine. The North Island (north of Wellington) has quite a temperate climate most of the year... a lot like SoCal.... The South Island goes from 300" of annual rainfall in Fiordland to like 20" in Christchurch. Nelson has about 40" of rainfall.

When taking the ferry across the Cook Straight, it's common to start out with a beautiful day on the South side, go through a horrific storm going across the straight and end up in Wellington with rain. The Cook Straight Ferries carry entire trains on-board and are designed specifically for the Cook Straight. A few times a year, the Ferry will leave Wellington for the 3 hour crossing to the South Island and will encounter an unpredicted storm (micro-burst) with 80+kts of wind that will force the ferry to alter course to Christchurch....... 200 miles south..... This is not the norm but I'll tell you... it isn't unusual either....... I've sailed across that channel 8 times on my boat...... it is always an interesting trip... It doesn't help that the current can reach 8kts at times with the wind apposing the current..... :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjWMDAYWZs
Wayne

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 09:01:22 PM »
Aye, that will cause a little chop. Must have been interesting to figure out the insurance liability for that on-deck mess.

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 12:46:31 AM »
Well week two and driving is under control except I am wearing out the wipers trying to make a turn. We have four hundred photos. The country is just magic. Will post when we are home
Jim
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 09:09:52 PM »
We are in the North end of the South island. picton is where the ferry to Wellington docks. Wonderful fjords and sharp mountains. We are in a B&B near Abel Tasman Park. I must say the weeks without phones that do everything has been interesting. No gps maps, tide, directions to food or fuel. We are making due the old  way paper maps and asking for directions, yes asking.
Everyone here seems to be helpful. We started this trip with snack food for lunch. Food is expensive here, however, we now stop around noon to any of the many shops for coffee and tea and a snack just to talk to the fellow travelers and local folks.
This is the first stop without pay internet.
Candy for your eyes is NZ
Jim
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 09:15:48 PM »
Because of the amazing things I am reading about NZ in this thread today I ordered a Blu ray disc on NZ. I am anxious to see just how beautiful it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PQ1PCE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 11:02:10 PM »
We are in the North end of the South island. picton is where the ferry to Wellington docks. Wonderful fjords and sharp mountains. We are in a B&B near Abel Tasman Park. I must say the weeks without phones that do everything has been interesting. No gps maps, tide, directions to food or fuel. We are making due the old  way paper maps and asking for directions, yes asking.
Everyone here seems to be helpful. We started this trip with snack food for lunch. Food is expensive here, however, we now stop around noon to any of the many shops for coffee and tea and a snack just to talk to the fellow travelers and local folks.
This is the first stop without pay internet.
Candy for your eyes is NZ
Jim
I hope that you get a chance to drive over to Nelson and visit Golden Beach if you can. The Marlboro Sounds are magnificent by boat.... sorta hard to see by car.

Wayne

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 12:38:15 AM »
Tom,
This island has so manydifferent scapes itshard to believe its one island hope topost pics when we return.
We have spent two days inthe Nelson aera now in Moutreka 50 kNorth of Nelson
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2013, 08:28:21 AM »
Just started to edit the 1000 photos, here is a start of the island.
Jim
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2013, 10:17:13 AM »
Nice shots Jim.   Looking forward to more.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2013, 10:23:43 AM »
Coming from you Ron, that is high praise. Just getting the hang of reducing the bits to fit the post requirements. Not sure what it does to quality.
Jim
This is Picton Harbor
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2013, 11:41:39 AM »
Thanks for sharing..... brings back lots of fond memories....  :D
Wayne

SeilerBird

• ---
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2013, 11:44:59 AM »
Great photos Jim. You are doing the reduction just right. They look good. I got a DVD of NZ but I haven't watched it yet.
My new Pixel camera:
My portfolio:
My Grand Canyon shots:

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Great photos Jim. You are doing the reduction just right. They look good. I got a DVD of NZ but I haven't watched it yet.
Be forewarned.......... That may end up being the most expensive DVD that you've ever watched..... ;)
Wayne

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
I have a first cousin who lives in NZ. He has a home for rent. Used to run a Bed & Breakfast. He grew up in the Orlando, FL area. See below.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/roush/contact.html
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
Got a photo story put together, we started in Christchurch in a most wonderful place named Elisa's Manor. A historic inn in Christchurch. The innkeepers were just a fun couple. We got into a discussion of New Zealand cookies and ended up eating a NZ ice cream called Hokey Pokey. We took a walking tour of Christchurch. The Three earth quakes have left the center of town looking like a war zone, however, the people are rebuilding and making the most of their terrible situation. The many churches had steeples on the ground and half empty buildings then beautiful sections of the park with families feeding ducks and enjoying the late fall weather
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:40:31 PM by jim and di »
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks Jim, I'm going to be following this topic!

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »
Have been waiting for you to post more of your trip.

I'm so jealous of you two but happy that you were able to make this trip.

Keep it coming. 

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Christchurch has built around the center of town which was devastated, the Container city is a tribute to the will of the people. One section of the river you see a family fifty feet further crews working on the rebuild, a church window and the other side nothing. Then the flower gardens in the park, with fall flowers and hug trees.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Leaving Christchurch for a day trip to Akoroa, and a tiny car with the wheel on the right and the lanes on the left. This drive was pleasant compared to the Southern Alps which lay ahead and the snow caped peaks in the distance. The first chance to see the different colors of the water and watch the many Cricket games and Lawn bowling matches that each settlement seemed to have. Also lots of interesting churches through out the South Island.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Wavery

• ---
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
I always considered NZ South Island as "a trip back in time".

Thanks for the pics. Love the memories.
Wayne

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
As we headed to Mount Cooke the wonders of the island started to appear, the Southern Alps loomed in the distance, sheep herds were a plenty. What we didn't know was that Deer herds would be plentiful also, some Buck farms for the felt on the racks, others for food. As we entered Geraldene we had been told by our innkeeper to look for the wool shop and the massive mural and swetter in the shop, we spent several hours with this couple and the many stories of how his family built this from tiny pices of wool felt dies, the factory discarded. Its a long history of England and much more.
The Steam Tractor was a special treat, having been a Steam Engineer, and licensed to operate a steam train its was great to see this chugging down the street with the  boiler firing away.
As we headed into the foot hills we found Lake Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepard. the color of the Lake and peaceful atmosphere had us spell bound, until a tour buss arrived with a swarm of loud tourists, unlike the small group of quiet folks admiring the seen. This part of the country reminded me of Scotland, with every piece of property marked by a fence. Some in stone others in fine trimmed trees. Then to the top of Mount John and a 360 degree view of the area.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
Thanks again. I'm loving every word and every photo.

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
So we leave the wonders of Geraldine and head to our first Alp lodge. The country gives way to what became the norm, no straight roads and lots of sharp mountain curves, O my did they get tight. The lodge at Mt. Cook was at the mid point of the mountain range so looking out the room window was a clear view of the snow capped peak.
A word about food, this was the first place where we had no choise of venue. The food was always excellent to Diane and i however, very expensive. Most dinners were well over $100 US and a stop during the day was Tea for Daine Coffee for me and a scone or one of there wonderful small lunch pies. Always $25.00. Every place we stayed at included a hot breakfast so we never know that cost.
Our next stop took us to the very southern part of the island.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
Jim:  Great job.  Keep it up.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
Wonderful pictures Jim, keep them coming.
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
From Mt. Cook to Te Anau was the longest single day drive, 420 Km. We headed South through Twizel, Omarama and Queenstown. Driving through the Alps had us stopping many times to take a photograph, and calm my nerves, the two lane roads, left side driving right side steering and the mirror on my left, and the tight turns around the mountain passes, well I will never complain about our super highways.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

terence nathan

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 05:53:48 AM »
I've been following your trip around NZ and remembering our trips there in a rented motorhome - of course being a Brit meant I didn't have a problem with driving on the 'correct'!!! side of the road - but Jim Dick will remember me getting it all wrong coming out of a campground in New Orleans and seeing a huge truck coming towards me with lights flashing and horn blaring - scary stuff!

Terry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:01:10 AM by Tom »
theforgottentsar.com

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
Sorry several computer problems, plus eye surgery have prevented me from proceeding on a timely manner. So here goes.
We spent a day in Te Anau, watched a movie about Doubtful Sound and had a great Italian dinner complete with Venison meatballs. We headed out to lake Manapouri, boarded a ferry across the lake then a coach to cross the Southern Alps at Wilmot Pass and finally on the Fiordland Navigator.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Doubtful sound was one of the highlights in a land of many. The ship we spent a overnight tour of the sound on was a purpose built cruise ship. It held about 100 people including crew. We boarded from the coach and departed for a day of poking in coves and fjords along the way to the sea and the Roaring 40'ies. We only stayed in the open sea for a half hour or a hour as the sea was 12-14 feet and short waves. We headed to a seal colony and then up the sound to a cove where out of the wind and waves the crew launched kayaks, tender boats and a swim call was announced. We stayed on the deck and shot photos. We then toured more of the sound finally ducking into a long fiord and in flat calm water anchored for the night. Dinner and a tour of the night sky ended the day.
In the morning we continued around the sound ending in a place called the "Sound of Silence". The ship came to a halt, the asked that no one talk until the engines restarted. Killed the main engine, generators, and radir. There was no birds, no water lapping the shore just silence. All in all a fun tour for sure.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:10:37 AM by jim and di »
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
Still Doubtful sound sunset and then sunrise on a still cove.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Jim and Di,

Looks like you two are having a blast! (except for the eye surgery part) Love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing your trip on the forum. Save travels!

-Roni

Hosted by Over The Network