EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island  (Read 8761 times)

Wavery

• ---
  • Fallbrook, California.......... (San Diego County)
Re: the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Great photos Jim. You are doing the reduction just right. They look good. I got a DVD of NZ but I haven't watched it yet.
Be forewarned.......... That may end up being the most expensive DVD that you've ever watched..... ;)
Wayne
Wife, Carolyn...... 5 kids.... 19 grandkids.
1998 33' Winnebago Adventurer ('97 Ford 460 V8, F53 chassis) 33WQ -Banks PowerPak, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks
Retired GM Service Manager driving a Ford....What's the world coming too??

judway

• ---
  • We are at the house in West Melbourne, Florida
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2013, 03:58:28 PM »
I have a first cousin who lives in NZ. He has a home for rent. Used to run a Bed & Breakfast. He grew up in the Orlando, FL area. See below.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/roush/contact.html
Wayne
2003 Itasca Horizon 36LD
2017 Chevrolet Equinox LT
Remco Towbar, Demco Baseplate & Air Force One Brake
1995 GMC Sierra Z71
No Dogs      No Cats!
Retired Electrical Engineer (University of Cincinnati)
W4SRR

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 06:37:28 PM »
Got a photo story put together, we started in Christchurch in a most wonderful place named Elisa's Manor. A historic inn in Christchurch. The innkeepers were just a fun couple. We got into a discussion of New Zealand cookies and ended up eating a NZ ice cream called Hokey Pokey. We took a walking tour of Christchurch. The Three earth quakes have left the center of town looking like a war zone, however, the people are rebuilding and making the most of their terrible situation. The many churches had steeples on the ground and half empty buildings then beautiful sections of the park with families feeding ducks and enjoying the late fall weather
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 06:40:31 PM by jim and di »
2005 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2013, 06:41:29 PM »
Thanks Jim, I'm going to be following this topic!
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2013, 11:41:39 PM »
Have been waiting for you to post more of your trip.

I'm so jealous of you two but happy that you were able to make this trip.

Keep it coming. 

Robin
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Christchurch has built around the center of town which was devastated, the Container city is a tribute to the will of the people. One section of the river you see a family fifty feet further crews working on the rebuild, a church window and the other side nothing. Then the flower gardens in the park, with fall flowers and hug trees.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2013, 08:30:45 AM »
Leaving Christchurch for a day trip to Akoroa, and a tiny car with the wheel on the right and the lanes on the left. This drive was pleasant compared to the Southern Alps which lay ahead and the snow caped peaks in the distance. The first chance to see the different colors of the water and watch the many Cricket games and Lawn bowling matches that each settlement seemed to have. Also lots of interesting churches through out the South Island.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Wavery

• ---
  • Fallbrook, California.......... (San Diego County)
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 10:07:22 AM »
I always considered NZ South Island as "a trip back in time".

Thanks for the pics. Love the memories.
Wayne
Wife, Carolyn...... 5 kids.... 19 grandkids.
1998 33' Winnebago Adventurer ('97 Ford 460 V8, F53 chassis) 33WQ -Banks PowerPak, Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer, Monroe Gas-Magnum RV Shocks
Retired GM Service Manager driving a Ford....What's the world coming too??

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2013, 06:22:41 AM »
As we headed to Mount Cooke the wonders of the island started to appear, the Southern Alps loomed in the distance, sheep herds were a plenty. What we didn't know was that Deer herds would be plentiful also, some Buck farms for the felt on the racks, others for food. As we entered Geraldene we had been told by our innkeeper to look for the wool shop and the massive mural and swetter in the shop, we spent several hours with this couple and the many stories of how his family built this from tiny pices of wool felt dies, the factory discarded. Its a long history of England and much more.
The Steam Tractor was a special treat, having been a Steam Engineer, and licensed to operate a steam train its was great to see this chugging down the street with the  boiler firing away.
As we headed into the foot hills we found Lake Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepard. the color of the Lake and peaceful atmosphere had us spell bound, until a tour buss arrived with a swarm of loud tourists, unlike the small group of quiet folks admiring the seen. This part of the country reminded me of Scotland, with every piece of property marked by a fence. Some in stone others in fine trimmed trees. Then to the top of Mount John and a 360 degree view of the area.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »
Thanks again. I'm loving every word and every photo.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
So we leave the wonders of Geraldine and head to our first Alp lodge. The country gives way to what became the norm, no straight roads and lots of sharp mountain curves, O my did they get tight. The lodge at Mt. Cook was at the mid point of the mountain range so looking out the room window was a clear view of the snow capped peak.
A word about food, this was the first place where we had no choise of venue. The food was always excellent to Diane and i however, very expensive. Most dinners were well over $100 US and a stop during the day was Tea for Daine Coffee for me and a scone or one of there wonderful small lunch pies. Always $25.00. Every place we stayed at included a hot breakfast so we never know that cost.
Our next stop took us to the very southern part of the island.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

Ron from Big D

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »
Jim:  Great job.  Keep it up.

Ron from Big D
Staff
Artist/Photographer
http://picasaweb.google.com/remarabito

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2013, 10:39:08 PM »
Wonderful pictures Jim, keep them coming.
Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2013, 12:27:04 PM »
From Mt. Cook to Te Anau was the longest single day drive, 420 Km. We headed South through Twizel, Omarama and Queenstown. Driving through the Alps had us stopping many times to take a photograph, and calm my nerves, the two lane roads, left side driving right side steering and the mirror on my left, and the tight turns around the mountain passes, well I will never complain about our super highways.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

terence nathan

• ---
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2013, 05:53:48 AM »
I've been following your trip around NZ and remembering our trips there in a rented motorhome - of course being a Brit meant I didn't have a problem with driving on the 'correct'!!! side of the road - but Jim Dick will remember me getting it all wrong coming out of a campground in New Orleans and seeing a huge truck coming towards me with lights flashing and horn blaring - scary stuff!

Terry
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 10:01:10 AM by Tom »
theforgottentsar.com

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2013, 09:46:42 AM »
Sorry several computer problems, plus eye surgery have prevented me from proceeding on a timely manner. So here goes.
We spent a day in Te Anau, watched a movie about Doubtful Sound and had a great Italian dinner complete with Venison meatballs. We headed out to lake Manapouri, boarded a ferry across the lake then a coach to cross the Southern Alps at Wilmot Pass and finally on the Fiordland Navigator.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2013, 11:50:22 AM »
Doubtful sound was one of the highlights in a land of many. The ship we spent a overnight tour of the sound on was a purpose built cruise ship. It held about 100 people including crew. We boarded from the coach and departed for a day of poking in coves and fjords along the way to the sea and the Roaring 40'ies. We only stayed in the open sea for a half hour or a hour as the sea was 12-14 feet and short waves. We headed to a seal colony and then up the sound to a cove where out of the wind and waves the crew launched kayaks, tender boats and a swim call was announced. We stayed on the deck and shot photos. We then toured more of the sound finally ducking into a long fiord and in flat calm water anchored for the night. Dinner and a tour of the night sky ended the day.
In the morning we continued around the sound ending in a place called the "Sound of Silence". The ship came to a halt, the asked that no one talk until the engines restarted. Killed the main engine, generators, and radir. There was no birds, no water lapping the shore just silence. All in all a fun tour for sure.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:10:37 AM by jim and di »
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

jim and di

• ---
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »
Still Doubtful sound sunset and then sunrise on a still cove.
8.1 Vortec
DW, Diane

tstumpf

• ---
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2013, 07:57:48 PM »
Jim and Di,

Looks like you two are having a blast! (except for the eye surgery part) Love the photos. Thanks so much for sharing your trip on the forum. Save travels!

-Roni

Hosted by Over The Network