the wonders of new zealand7 , south Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well week two and driving is under control except I am wearing out the wipers trying to make a turn. We have four hundred photos. The country is just magic. Will post when we are home
Jim

We are in the North end of the South island. picton is where the ferry to Wellington docks. Wonderful fjords and sharp mountains. We are in a B&B near Abel Tasman Park. I must say the weeks without phones that do everything has been interesting. No gps maps, tide, directions to food or fuel. We are making due the old  way paper maps and asking for directions, yes asking.
Everyone here seems to be helpful. We started this trip with snack food for lunch. Food is expensive here, however, we now stop around noon to any of the many shops for coffee and tea and a snack just to talk to the fellow travelers and local folks.
This is the first stop without pay internet.
Candy for your eyes is NZ
Jim

Because of the amazing things I am reading about NZ in this thread today I ordered a Blu ray disc on NZ. I am anxious to see just how beautiful it is.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PQ1PCE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

jim and di said:
We are in the North end of the South island. picton is where the ferry to Wellington docks. Wonderful fjords and sharp mountains. We are in a B&B near Abel Tasman Park. I must say the weeks without phones that do everything has been interesting. No gps maps, tide, directions to food or fuel. We are making due the old  way paper maps and asking for directions, yes asking.
Everyone here seems to be helpful. We started this trip with snack food for lunch. Food is expensive here, however, we now stop around noon to any of the many shops for coffee and tea and a snack just to talk to the fellow travelers and local folks.
This is the first stop without pay internet.
Candy for your eyes is NZ
Jim
I hope that you get a chance to drive over to Nelson and visit Golden Beach if you can. The Marlboro Sounds are magnificent by boat.... sorta hard to see by car.

Tom,
This island has so manydifferent scapes itshard to believe its one island hope topost pics when we return.
We have spent two days inthe Nelson aera now in Moutreka 50 kNorth of Nelson

Just started to edit the 1000 photos, here is a start of the island.
Jim

Attachments

• P1020053.JPG
    P1020053.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1020055.JPG
    P1020055.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN2923.JPG
    DSCN2923.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 19
Coming from you Ron, that is high praise. Just getting the hang of reducing the bits to fit the post requirements. Not sure what it does to quality.
Jim
This is Picton Harbor

Attachments

• P1020609.JPG
    P1020609.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 18
SeilerBird said:
Great photos Jim. You are doing the reduction just right. They look good. I got a DVD of NZ but I haven't watched it yet.
Be forewarned.......... That may end up being the most expensive DVD that you've ever watched..... ;)

I have a first cousin who lives in NZ. He has a home for rent. Used to run a Bed & Breakfast. He grew up in the Orlando, FL area. See below.

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/roush/contact.html

Got a photo story put together, we started in Christchurch in a most wonderful place named Elisa's Manor. A historic inn in Christchurch. The innkeepers were just a fun couple. We got into a discussion of New Zealand cookies and ended up eating a NZ ice cream called Hokey Pokey. We took a walking tour of Christchurch. The Three earth quakes have left the center of town looking like a war zone, however, the people are rebuilding and making the most of their terrible situation. The many churches had steeples on the ground and half empty buildings then beautiful sections of the park with families feeding ducks and enjoying the late fall weather

Attachments

• New Zealand 2 - 01.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 01.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 02.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 02.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 16
  • New Zealand 2 - 03.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 03.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 15
  • New Zealand 2 - 05.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 05.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 14
  • New Zealand 2 - 06.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 06.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 13
  • New Zealand 2 - 07.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 07.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 13
  • New Zealand 2 - 08.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 08.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 14
Thanks Jim, I'm going to be following this topic!

Have been waiting for you to post more of your trip.

I'm so jealous of you two but happy that you were able to make this trip.

Keep it coming. 

Robin

Christchurch has built around the center of town which was devastated, the Container city is a tribute to the will of the people. One section of the river you see a family fifty feet further crews working on the rebuild, a church window and the other side nothing. Then the flower gardens in the park, with fall flowers and hug trees.

Attachments

• New Zealand 2 - 08.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 08.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 11
  • New Zealand 2 - 09.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 09.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
  • New Zealand 2 - 10.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 10.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8
  • New Zealand 2 - 11.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 11.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
  • New Zealand 2 - 12.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 12.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 13.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 13.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 14.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 14.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 7
  • New Zealand 2 - 15.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 15.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 8
  • New Zealand 2 - 17.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 17.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 11
Leaving Christchurch for a day trip to Akoroa, and a tiny car with the wheel on the right and the lanes on the left. This drive was pleasant compared to the Southern Alps which lay ahead and the snow caped peaks in the distance. The first chance to see the different colors of the water and watch the many Cricket games and Lawn bowling matches that each settlement seemed to have. Also lots of interesting churches through out the South Island.

Attachments

• New Zealand 2 - 18.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 18.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 5
  • New Zealand 2 - 19.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 19.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 20.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 20.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 21.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 21.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 22.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 22.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 23.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 23.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 24.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 24.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 25.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 25.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 9
I always considered NZ South Island as "a trip back in time".

Thanks for the pics. Love the memories.

As we headed to Mount Cooke the wonders of the island started to appear, the Southern Alps loomed in the distance, sheep herds were a plenty. What we didn't know was that Deer herds would be plentiful also, some Buck farms for the felt on the racks, others for food. As we entered Geraldene we had been told by our innkeeper to look for the wool shop and the massive mural and swetter in the shop, we spent several hours with this couple and the many stories of how his family built this from tiny pices of wool felt dies, the factory discarded. Its a long history of England and much more.
The Steam Tractor was a special treat, having been a Steam Engineer, and licensed to operate a steam train its was great to see this chugging down the street with the  boiler firing away.
As we headed into the foot hills we found Lake Tekapo and the Church of the Good Shepard. the color of the Lake and peaceful atmosphere had us spell bound, until a tour buss arrived with a swarm of loud tourists, unlike the small group of quiet folks admiring the seen. This part of the country reminded me of Scotland, with every piece of property marked by a fence. Some in stone others in fine trimmed trees. Then to the top of Mount John and a 360 degree view of the area.

Attachments

• New Zealand 2 - 26.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 26.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 4
  • New Zealand 2 - 27.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 27.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 28.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 28.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 29.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 29.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 11
  • New Zealand 2 - 30.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 30.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 31.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 31.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 33.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 33.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 11
  • New Zealand 2 - 34.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 34.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 10
  • New Zealand 2 - 36.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 36.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 37.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 37.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 9
  • New Zealand 2 - 42.jpg
    New Zealand 2 - 42.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks again. I'm loving every word and every photo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom