Any Linux Users?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mopar1973Man

I'm kind of curious if there is any Linux users out there?

Here is a sneak peek at my hotrod computer.
http://i49.tinypic.com/24e9ies.jpg

Fully booted up on 400MB of ram and no swap file. Very light weight, no virus, no malware, no problems.

Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS x64 Bit
AMD Athlon x2 5200+ AM2
4 GB DDR2 Ram
2 Hard Drives (1.0 TB and a 1.5TB)
nVidia 8500GT

Michael:

I see a shot of your truck and trailer with that link.

Long time *nix sysadmin and user here. 

My development system is an I7, 32gig ram, 750GB SSD RAID 0 on a dedicated SAS/SATA controller card (massive throughput) and an additional 4TB bulk storage space RAID 5 with a hot spare.  Running Gentoo linux and VMWare workstation to support various development environments. 

You beat me on graphics, I'm using the built in intel graphics..  Don't do much heavy graphics on it.

Only my Symantec Messaging Gateway runs on Linux in a VM.  Too many virtuals to spec...  desktop is an antiquated zeon quad core with 16G and 4TB, laptop an i7 with 24G and dual 750 hybrid drives with Win8 Enterprise for the host and Win7 Pro on VM Workstation.  Other OS's are basically Win 2008r2 Standard Server, Win SBS 2011 Server, XP Pro 32, Windows Server 2012 Standard, another Win 8 Pro virtual, and an old Windows 2003 Server I use for my accounting.  Other operating systems come and go as time marches on.  Servers and other operating systems are on ESXi5 with veam and or Symantec System Recovery.  Caching controllers and lots of ram make a huge difference in the performance of virtual machines. ;)

I'm surprised there isn't more people using Linux OS for personal computing. Like the 2 post above are serious server or production setups.

Like here is my Laptop for travel. (Ubuntu 12.04 as well)
http://i47.tinypic.com/14bibr.jpg

Here is MoparMom's and my mini office with both desktop computer running Ubuntu 12.04
http://i47.tinypic.com/348gkk6.jpg

So you didn't buy into the Unity interface? :)

Mopar1973Man said:
I'm surprised there isn't more people using Linux OS for personal computing.
Over the last 20 years I have had many discussions with Linux users about that very question. Every time I attempt to explain to them why it will never happen all they do is argue that I am wrong. So I have given up discussing it with Linux users because they simply don't want to hear the truth.

Family of four, two in college, we have 5 laptops and two desktops.  They use windows, I use Linux (Ubuntu 12.04) on one of the desktops, my laptops use Windows due to old software / hardware needs with drivers.  Linux has come a very long way since my first (Redhat 3 if I remember right) however still is not for those that don't enjoy a challenge from time to time with use!  Which is my favorite..... The Linux!

I run Mint and never want to go back to Windows. It's rough learning a new OS, but after having an Android phone it's much easier to adapt to Linux now.

I last tried it about a decade ago and couldn't figure it out because i kept trying to use it like Windows.

Ned said:
So you didn't buy into the Unity interface? :)

Yea at first I did but I though it was too heavy of system with Unity. So I flip over to LXDE.

SeilerBird said:
Over the last 20 years I have had many discussions with Linux users about that very question. Every time I attempt to explain to them why it will never happen all they do is argue that I am wrong. So I have given up discussing it with Linux users because they simply don't want to hear the truth.

Might have better reaction now that Windows 8 is coming out and most don't like it. Windows 8 and Virus issue was my turning point. I wasn't going to buy into Microsoft anymore and I saw Linux was coming forward and more productive.

jje1960 said:
Which is my favorite..... The Linux!
;D Mine too now... I just found out my Windows just crashed on the windows partition. It was the first time I fired it up in months and it blue screens.

Dzl210 said:
I run Mint and never want to go back to Windows. It's rough learning a new OS, but after having an Android phone it's much easier to adapt to Linux now.

I last tried it about a decade ago and couldn't figure it out because i kept trying to use it like Windows.

Suggestion to others is to partition out the drive and split it for both Windows and Linux then you can play with Linux and learn but when the pressure is on to get work done you can flip over to Windows get your work done. Then flip back to Linux and go back to learning how to use it. Take your time and make it enjoyable and you'll catch on quickly.

I futzed around with Linux some time back, but found I had too many apps that would not work.  It may have improved by now, but I find it's just not worth the effort to try when Windows 7 has served me well.  Also tried Ubuntu for a media server, but WHS2011 came out then for a decent price, so I went that way, instead.  Then there's that having to reteach the DW. :(

I'm in the learning stage - a couple of years ago I purchased a little Acer 900 netbook with Linux with the idea of using it to get my feet wet.  But I came across a major roadblock, in that I was USB tethering to my Verizon smartphone with it's unlimited data plan for net access, and there wasn't a Linux equivalent available.  So I'm still using Windows on my main machine.

Now I'm intrigued by the Raspberry Pi and have one on order to play around with. 

It's easier than ever today to migrate to Linux.  With Virtual Box or VMWare Player, both free, you can create a Windows virtual machine that runs under Linux and put all your Windows specific programs there.  You can even convert an existing real Windows system to a virtual one so you give up nothing until you want to.  The most common applications are available in both Windows and Linux, i.e. browsers, email, office applications, etc.

Lou Schneider said:
I'm in the learning stage - a couple of years ago I purchased a little Acer 900 netbook with Linux with the idea of using it to get my feet wet.  But I came across a major roadblock, in that I was USB tethering to my Verizon smartphone with it's unlimited data plan for net access, and there wasn't a Linux equivalent available.  So I'm still using Windows on my main machine.

Run FoxFi on the phone and connect via WiFi from Linux.

Now I'm intrigued by the Raspberry Pi and have one on order to play around with. 

I'll look forward to your experience with it.  It sounds like a lot of fun.

Mopar1973Man said:
Might have better reaction now that Windows 8 is coming out and most don't like it. Windows 8 and Virus issue was my turning point.
No, most people do like W8. The negative reaction to Windows 8 comes from the very vocal minority that spew anti-Windows garbage every time MS releases a new OS. Remember Bob? Millennium? Vista? Every one of those was going to be the tipping point to cause the whole world to start using Linux and we know how that worked out. The fact is W8 is a great OS. The reason it is not selling as well as expected is because the PC in general is flattening out sales wise. Too much competition from tablets, smart phones and Chromebooks. A PC is suddenly no longer the only game in town.

SeilerBird said:
No, most people do like W8. The negative reaction to Windows 8 comes from the very vocal minority that spew anti-Windows garbage every time MS releases a new OS. Remember Bob? Millennium? Vista? Every one of those was going to be the tipping point to cause the whole world to start using Linux and we know how that worked out. The fact is W8 is a great OS. The reason it is not selling as well as expected is because the PC in general is flattening out sales wise. Too much competition from tablets, smart phones and Chromebooks. A PC is suddenly no longer the only game in town.
A lot depends on usage.  I can't replace my workstation with a tablet, smart phone or anything of the sort. Nor can I replace my NLE video editor system, nor can I replace any of my servers.  I have 0 use for tablets, 'smart' phones or the like.  And windows 8, yack..  our in house hardware/OS team has been trying to make it usable for our products and it just doesn't cut it.  We'll be shipping with Win7 for a long time, and if we do Win8 we'll end up ripping out the metro interface.

The negative reaction doesn't just come from anti windows people, we're a windows shop for the most part but cannot make Win 8 functional for our products so it's useless.

I've been running PCLinuxOS as my daily use OS on my desktops and laptops for the past 10 years. A few years back, I taught a beginning computing course for seniors, and had them install PCLinuxOS on donated PC's that we supplied to elderly shut-ins so they could communicate with distant family members. About three quarters of the class also elected to install it on their own PC's. Since most of these folks were entirely new to computer use, they came in without the preconceived Windows mindset that seems to cause many others to have difficulty grasping GNU/Linux concepts. It also pleases me greatly to see the many millions Android tablet and phone users out there all running Linux kernels.

SeilerBird said:

Actually no of that applies to me really.

Windows 8 I tried in was not impressed with the controls. I'm not impress that the same virus problems continue. I'm not impress the same malware, firewall, etc... It goes on and on. Then Windows continued to need more and more stuff as in software and hardware to function.

So when I saw at the point of spending more money to hire a body guard to protect my PC (Norton's) I finally gave up and started researching. Also as the same time I do web site management for others so Linux was becoming a lifestyle anyways so... Give it a crack...

Since I gotten int Linux... No more defragging drives, no more registry issues, no more need for anti-virus and firewall software, no more expensive software to protect my PC and information. The fact there is MILLIONS of people writing the code for Linux compared to 1 company writing the code for Windows. So if I don't like the favor of Linux there is many more favors to try. They all have the same base/core but different interfaces. Something again Windows can't do.

Then on top of it more and more software companies are porting over to Linux now. So Windows is no longer a forced software that you MUST buy there is now a choice...

Back
Top Bottom