Any Linux Users?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
braindead said:
A lot depends on usage.  I can't replace my workstation with a tablet, smart phone or anything of the sort. Nor can I replace my NLE video editor system, nor can I replace any of my servers.  I have 0 use for tablets, 'smart' phones or the like.  And windows 8, yack..  our in house hardware/OS team has been trying to make it usable for our products and it just doesn't cut it.  We'll be shipping with Win7 for a long time, and if we do Win8 we'll end up ripping out the metro interface.

The negative reaction doesn't just come from anti windows people, we're a windows shop for the most part but cannot make Win 8 functional for our products so it's useless.
This is why it is pointless to try and explain to Linux users why virtually no one uses Linux on the desktop. You just refuse to accept the fact that Windows is a much better product for the huge majority of the users. You must have some pretty poor techs if they can't make W8 usable. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I had no problem using W8 and making it usable.

I prefer not to get into the middle of this discussion, but suffice to say that I can't wait to get away from MS, and Google isn't the answer for me.

FWIW the attached summarizes the OS used by visitors to this forum since the beginning of the year. The "0%" numbers aren't zero in absolute numbers; It's just the granularity and rounding of the reporting.

Attachments

• User_OS.pdf
    29.2 KB · Views: 19
SeilerBird said:
This is why it is pointless to try and explain to Linux users why virtually no one uses Linux on the desktop. You just refuse to accept the fact that Windows is a much better product for the huge majority of the users. You must have some pretty poor techs if they can't make W8 usable. Sounds like sour grapes to me. I had no problem using W8 and making it usable.
??  I never even suggested regular users should go with linux.  I'm fully aware that it's not suitable for most people, when distro's try to dumb it down for 'average' users they end up breaking most of the things that make linux a good OS. 

I use linux on the desktop, as well as Windows.. I use the proper tool for the job at hand, that's it.  Anyone that says windows or linux is better for everyone is a moron.

braindead said:
??  I never even suggested regular users should go with linux.  I'm fully aware that it's not suitable for most people, when distro's try to dumb it down for 'average' users they end up breaking most of the things that make linux a good OS. 

I use linux on the desktop, as well as Windows.. I use the proper tool for the job at hand, that's it.  Anyone that says windows or linux is better for everyone is a moron.
My remarks were not directed at you. I quoted Moparman. His original comment was that he could not figure out why more people did not use Linux on the desktop.

Many (if not most) specialty software manufacturers have not embraced Windows 8.  That said, the Win 8 interface is similar to Server 2012 and so I expect most will get on board and offer support for the operating system.  Win 7 will be available for the next year or so as a corporate OS option so developers will have time to tailor their products for the changeover.

With the much greater acceptance of virtual operating environments, running linux, unix, or other operating systems concurrently is much easier today than it was a decade ago and backup and recovery is easy since the virtual machine is actually a file (or series of files) that can be easily moved to different hosts and centrally managed.

I will admit to missing the days when linux or unix was a true multi user operating system, Windows was simply an operating environment, Netware was a Network Operating System, and LANtastic was king of connectivity with products for Netware,Windows, TCP, and OS/2. ;)

I think we can answer the OP's question.. yes there are linux users here ;-)

All I can say its a rough crowd here for OS discussion.

As for Tom stats even my site follows a very similar path. I know Linux is not for everyone but I'm curious of how many actually use it on there PC's to daily work? Then I wanted to get to know other Linux users  and learn from them of different things, software and other things. Not that I'm trying to convert any one but trying to find who is using what version of Linux and possible learn trick from others.

Mopar1973Man said:
All I can say its a rough crowd here for OS discussion.

As for Tom stats even my site follows a very similar path. I know Linux is not for everyone but I'm curious of how many actually use it on there PC's to daily work? Then I wanted to get to know other Linux users  and learn from them of different things, software and other things. Not that I'm trying to convert any one but trying to find who is using what version of Linux and possible learn trick from others.
In response to that, I use linux and windows daily.  I use a variety of distributions. 

For my own household servers (all virtualized under vSphere) I used Ubuntu for my URBackup server because it was easier to get installed on that distro, all of the others are Gentoo as that's what I use most.

Servers at my employer are mostly CentOS, maybe a Debian here and there.  We also have several Server 2008 deployments, one of which is running most of our in-house Linux servers via hyper-V.

I've been in this business for a long time, I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the right job. 

My take on Linux is it is doomed to be a minor player because it is free - no matter how good it might be.  Until a major software company assumes responsibility and begins promoting and supporting Linux, few PC manufacturers will ship new PCs with Linux as the OS and because of this, few software developers will produce software designed for use with Linux...and no major software company is going to assume responsibility as long as it is free.

Molaker said:
My take on Linux is it is doomed to be a minor player because it is free - no matter how good it might be.  Until a major software company assumes responsibility and begins promoting and supporting Linux, few PC manufacturers will ship new PCs with Linux as the OS and because of this, few software developers will produce software designed for use with Linux...and no major software company is going to assume responsibility as long as it is free.
You should probably qualify that, likely true for your average desktop user.

However your blanket statement about software for Linux is way off base. The Apache Foundation is by any measure a major software company. Sourceforge is hosting over 300,000 projects, has 2.4 million developers (me being one of them) and serves over 4 million downloads a day.  Some of these projects are windows, the vast majority are Linux.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

A lot of the Linux work is behind the scenes, in your firewall/router in your WAP/Bridge and running millions of servers and routers all over the world.  Just because you don't see it in your face doesn't mean you aren't interacting with a Linux server right now.

Linux may remain a minor player on the desktop, like OS X, but the internet runs on Linux.  The majority of web servers run some form of Linux and nearly all consumer grade, and many business grade, routers run Linux as well.  Without Linux the internet we know might very well have an entirely different look and not run as well as it does.

If you have an Android smartphone and/or tablet, that's also running the Linux kernel.  Still think Linux is a minor player? :)

I find it funny that every single time someone says anything negative about Linux's failure as a desktop OS, the Linux fans always start talking about how great Linux servers are. Do they not understand the difference between a desktop and a server?

SeilerBird said:
I find it funny that every single time someone says anything negative about Linux's failure as a desktop OS, the Linux fans always start talking about how great Linux servers are. Do they not understand the difference between a desktop and a server?
It wasn't a statement about Linux on the desktop, it was a blanked statement about Linux that was unqualified in any manner. Here's the quote I was referring to again, just so it's clear. 

Molaker said:

Sure the paragraph goes on to talk about PC's, however PC's are servers for many SOHO environments.  PC <> Desktop machine.  And much of the above is bunk, plain and simple.. unless 'few software developers' means millions.

Our local library has 12 public access computers for use of anyone with a library card.  While they run remote desktops from a Windows server, the HP computers are actually running Linux.

Still, until PC manufacturers start pedaling PCs (okay, "desktop computers") with Linux installed it will remain behind the scenes.  And they will not do so as long as Linux is a freebie with no monetarily responsible support.  It is the dumba** casual user that buys enough to make it all worthwhile.  For the most part, the software developers you mentioned are, as stated, slanted towards servers or produce free software with support mainly for the geek, not the casual user.  I am well aware of the various applications of Linux in the background.  But, these applications are, for the most part, either maintained by an IT dept or geek or they are in a canned package the end-user has no control over such as the Android smart phone.  Yes, I think Linux is still a minor player.

braindead said:
It wasn't a statement about Linux on the desktop, it was a blanked statement about Linux that was unqualified in any manner.
We are talking about Linux on the desktop period. Stop trying to change the subject. No one is claiming Linux servers are a minor player, it is strictly on the desktop that Linux has been a failure.

SeilerBird said:
We are talking about Linux on the desktop period. Stop trying to change the subject. No one is claiming Linux servers are a minor player, it is strictly on the desktop that Linux has been a failure.
We are?  I don't see that in the subject at all, users <> desktop..  all I'm seeing are blanket statements that are only correct from a limited viewpoint.

If I put on my blinders I could say that Microsoft is a minor player, as I've worked at places that are to this day 100% OS/2 on the desktop (4000 systems last count), so in that context it's true.

Perhaps a completely new thread "Linux on the desktop" would keep the discussion on point.

My, my, everyone is so defensive :)  Linux is far from a failure as it's still here, slowly growing on the desktop and is king of the servers.  That's not failure by any measure, even on the desktop.  Failure would be if it didn't work.  It's wonderful that we have these choices and can use the tools that best work for each of us, geek or just plain user.

I miss OS/2, what Windows should (could?) have been.

braindead said:
We are?  I don't see that in the subject at all, users <> desktop..  all I'm seeing are blanket statements that are only correct from a limited viewpoint.

If I put on my blinders I could say that Microsoft is a minor player, as I've worked at places that are to this day 100% OS/2 on the desktop (4000 systems last count), so in that context it's true.

Perhaps a completely new thread "Linux on the desktop" would keep the discussion on point.
Original posting...
Mopar1973Man said:
I'm kind of curious if there is any Linux users out there?

Here is a sneak peek at my hotrod computer.
http://i49.tinypic.com/24e9ies.jpg

Fully booted up on 400MB of ram and no swap file. Very light weight, no virus, no malware, no problems.

Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS x64 Bit
AMD Athlon x2 5200  AM2
4 GB DDR2 Ram
2 Hard Drives (1.0 TB and a 1.5TB)
nVidia 8500GT
Sure sounds like Mopar1973Man is talking about his desktop and not a server.  Could be wrong, but it sure appears to be a desktop.  Oh sure, it may be part of a SOHO, but nothing is mentioned about it here - in the original posting, so I see nothing that says we should not be discussing desktops in this subject.  "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

I am NOT putting Linux down.  I actually think it is a great OS, but I just don't see it becoming anything more than a behind the scenes player for the majority of PC users any time soon.  Oh, BTW, 4000 OS/2 desktops operating today is interesting, even impressive, but I'm not sure where that fits in this discussion.

I agree with Ned, everyone is so defensive and I guess I'm having to be a bit defensive myself to deflect the "attacks" on my opinion.  But, I stand by it.

Ned said:
I miss OS/2, what Windows should (could?) have been.
Why miss it, you can still get OS/2 Warp 4.. and IBM is still putting out drivers for new hardware.. however getting them requires special access (which sadly I lost when I left that consulting job ;-).. I think I may have a copy here still..  OS/2 was and still is very viable for large call centers.  Surely must be winding down, I haven't checked in with my contacts in those areas in a number of years.

I just can't stand over-generalizations about much of anything.  I get paid good money for being very specific and detailed, so my mindset is just that way.  If someone said the windows is a crummy server product without providing specific facts I'd jump on that just as fast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom