Water Damage/Delamination/Wall Separation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For adhesive I would use a good construction adhesive ( you can get it in tubes at lowe's on the rack with silicone sealer and caulking)

Screws! for the exterior I would use self tapping sheet roofing screws ( they have rubber sealing grommets on them and come in many colors) Do not use too many or the expansion and contraction will cause the skin to pucker and bulge and or tear the screw holes slightly and cause leaks. Follow what was there. Remember everything will expand and contract a bit.

The metal under the door is just plain old flashing to keep water running to the outside. You can get a roll of it at lowe's for cheap (roof flashing) you may be suprised at the places you can use it. ( fold it over outside corners and nail it on for extra support)

Quick Update (because I am hip-deep in a half torn out RV!)

Complete re-build of rear wall.  Partial re-build of passenger side wall in the rear, and partial rebuild of ceiling in the back-rear corner.  This will get topped off with a re-seal of the roof.

Question at this point:

I need Butyl Rubber tape and can't find it in any store.  I don't think I have time to order and wait for it, so I am wondering what substitutions exist in the world.  Any thoughts?

I've been shooting tiny videos updating my progress.  I'll post soon.  Thanks for your support!

Are there any RV repair shops near you? They'll usually have rolls of butyl tape on hand and will sell you a roll or two.

Ditto on the butyl tape from a RV Shop/Dealer.  I got a roll at my local shop last year.

Thanks Tom, Winnie, and Lou!

I was able to contact a local RV dealership and get a few rolls of Butyl tape.  Thanks for the tip!

This challenge is an endless learning experience.  As such, questions keep coming!

Next Question:

As I pull back the fiberglass skins on the walls of the RV, there is a fair amount of residue on the back sides.  It appears to be some of the Luan paneling that has stuck to the side from the adhesive.  I am under the impression that the better I scrape it off, the better the new adhesive will stick.  I am using a putty knife and it works reasonably well in areas where the wood was rotted (probably because of the moisture?), however, there are areas that were less effected and it is an extremely stubborn material. 

Is there some kind of material that I can apply that will help in the peeling of said adhesive residue?  Perhaps a similar process to removing wallpaper?

I have posted a pic of the inside of a skin from the side of the RV.  Some areas still have wood from the Luan while others have been worked down to the residue of the adhesive.  Any suggestions to remove either material more effectively would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• water damage 17.jpg
    water damage 17.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 64
Hey all.  I've been filming the repairs thus far and figured that I would make a video or two about it.  I figured if I could gain some feedback I could learn more, and maybe others could get something out of it (pay it forward to new RVers).  Take a look and let me know what you think.  I'm always trying to learn so comments and tips always appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXn-fAZ5BE

Thanks,

Jason

Your videos are great they show how labor intensive this job is. What a great tool this will be down the road for someone else.

thanks Kaylin,
  I guess that's the silver lining.  Labor intensive is a phrase I find myself repeating frequently.  Between "good", "fast", and "cheap" it's a rare occasion to attain all three, usually you can get two.  Given I want to do it right and budget is a constraint, I am destined to give up on "fast".  At least spring is here! 

I could do something like I did for the Eternabond videos. They too are hosted on YouTube, and the linked page brings them together in one place. The page is also linked in our Resources menu above.

It's up to you guys, really.  I just want to make sure that people (like me) who are getting into this for the first time can find such resources easily in the chance that it helps them.  I'm also trying to make sure that I am using the forum in an optimal way.  Thanks!

I sure think they'd be helpful for others in the future. I'll get the page up in the next few days.

Here's a first cut of the page with Jason's videos embedded. I'll get the page linked in the Resources menu. I'll also be making a few tweaks, and I'll update if/when any more videos or info becomes available.

Thanks again to Jason for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom