Todays RV show portland or

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaylin640

Went to the portland RV show WOW!! such a fun filled day lots and lots to see..
Got some answers from local dealers and venders for some of the stuff i want.
Also After seeing all the Motor homes, 5th wheels, and Travel trailers My mind is made up.
As nice as some of the larger class A's are sitting in the main living part for only 5 minutes the driving cab area just drove me nuts to look at. Even though some had floor plans i did like they just aren't for me.
So on to the TT and 5th wheels
when i started this journey was planning on a TT How ever walk in to 20 TT and walk into 20 5th wheels there is no comparring the storage hight of ceiling and over all space feeling you get from the 5th wheels.
I left there feeling very confident that the 5th wheel will be great for me. So looking forward to my settlement and finding the perfact one for me.
Oh not to mention all the nice people i met at the expo center.
Its just amazing how nice and welcoming the RV community is
Spoke today with several full timing couples we all talked about what we liked and didn't about the units we looked at.
After talking with several people today i can't wait to start this journey to full timing and getting to continue meeting great people

Congrats.  Did not know we had an RV show this weekend?  Oh well.  Hate wasting soo much money just to look.  Since you have now decided on a fifth wheel, i hope you have not already gotten your tow vehicle?  Because choosing the wrong truck first could wind up as a costly mistake.  Remember to safely tow a fifth wheel requires a lot more truck than most realize.  Thats because around 20% of a fivers weight is carried on the pin, or directly over the rear axle of the truck.  To be really safe. First pick the fiver you want.  Them after arming yourself with that trailers GVWR and using simple math, 20% of the trailers GVWR equals.....  Go truck shopping.  You may never reach the trailers GVWR, during your life time, but using that number will always give you a safety margin for whatever you do weigh.

Donn gives excellent advice. However there is one problem. Once you buy the 5er then you must go truck shopping. No matter what truck you look at the dealer will tell you that it will have no problem towing your 5er. Never believe anything a salesman tells you. They are used car dealers and would lie to their mother to sell a rig. Come to this forum and let us know exactly what 5er you have bought and then let the experts here tell you how much truck you need to get. And they will also need to know if you are going to be towing out west in the mountains.

I got a chuckle out of your original post. I am sitting in the passengers seat of my class A watching a beautiful sunrise out of my front window. I recently was inside a brand new 5er than was owned by a friend and I felt like I was in a cave due to lack of windows. But that is why there are so many choices for RVs, everyone has their own likes and dislikes and one size does not fit all.

my planned truck is a ford f350 diesel or a 2500 duramax or 3500 duramax these should pull what ever 5th wheel i get. I have researched and am making sure i get more then enough truck for my needs since the plan is to put an extra water tank and waste tank in the bed. They will be empty most of the time durring travel however. but there to expand my dry camping experiance if needed.

Absolutely forget a 2500.  There is just not enough capacity to tow most fivers.  Especially if your plan is to carry extra water and or fuel in the bed of the truck.
Send me a PM if you want to chat about my experiences in this area.  I'll be glad to talk to you either over coffee at Starbucks or someplace and give you some real world numbers.  Not the hype from a salesman.

Nice results from your foray into the Portland RV show, Amy. I just got back from the Tacoma RV Show (3/16) that we talked about. There is no question about seeing the attraction of a 5er. For me, though, I'm still happy with looking at a TT, though I've upped my intention from 17 foot to 23 foot or there-abouts. Having already narrowed my choices to a TT that weighs about 5,000 and into which I put about 750# of cargo, I bought my truck this weekend--a 2013 Ford F150 STX. I know it is lighter and smaller than the 350s, but it is perfect for what I want to tow. Now I just have to make the final decision on the TT. I'm getting close. Yahoo!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom