Ordering a new truck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumpy

I don't know if this is in the correct area, but here goes. 

I thought I would jump on Ford's web site and see about a new truck.  Don't need a new truck, but, just wanted to see what was being offered.  So, I wanted a 2007 Super Duty with the diesel and 6 speed slush box. 

Now, here is what I don't understand.  If I want the trailer tow package with the brake controller, I have to order the automatic.  If I purchase them separately, then I can keep the slushbox.  Somethings make me go hummmmm.  And if I want a King Ranch, I can't get the 6 speed at all.  Has to be the automatic. 

Now, Dodge don't offer a King Ranch, just the SLT(?) and they don't care which tranny you get. 

I realize nobody but Ford can answer this, but I just thought it was interesting that you can waltz your way around the order sheet to get what you want. 

OK, now I'm open for questions, comments or rude remarks ;D :D

Uuuh -- had to read your post a couple times. Your reference to 'automatic' and 'slush box' threw me. They are one-and-the-same. An automatic is a slush box. I believe what you meant was a standard or manual transmission (6-Speed) and a slushbox (5 Speed Automatic).

Is there a compelling reason for a manual? I have a 2006 King Ranch, and with the 5 Speed auto and the torque converting locking at approx 40MPH, I have in essence 6 gears. When you start adding the tow package, etc, ford gets the impression you what to tow something and so this is how they are configured.

Personally I have the tow package, camper package, tow boss (4.30LS gears), and I would hesitate to attempt pulling at my rated capacity (Fifth Wheel - 19,400Lbs) with anything other than an automatic (13,000GVW / 26000 GCWR). I know that there are many that will disagree with me, so it really boils down to personal preference. I look at it as dragging a 14000Lb trailer around a city in stop and go traffic (more stop than go) and where it always seems that every stop light is on the uphill side of the intersection. It can be (and is) done, but you are going to have more wear and tear on a manual.

When you get in KR territory, you are in the luxury class, and feel that you deserve to be pampered (auto, power everything, Castano leather seating, wood grain inserts, etc), so ford has accommodated those of us that believe after XX years, we deserve to be pampered. I'm not trying to put anyone down, it is just that when you want to compare vehicles, don't do apples to oranges. Neither Dodge or Chevy have anything comparable to the King Ranch in style, luxury and capacity. Both Dodge and GM make fine trucks, please just don't compare them with a KR.

Larry

I don't want to step on anyone's toes so let me first say that I think the F-250 & 350 KR are nice trucks.  That said, I found this a really informative article especially when considering that we're all looking at the work a truck does.  Sorry I don't know how to do the link where you just click on it so you'll have to copy and paste the url below.  Thanks, Ronnie

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId%3D115662

Back
Top Bottom