Winterizing for the first time Coachmen 2007 Mirada 350DS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1DW2KD1Dog

Help! So I am new to the RV world. My wife and I just bought our very first RV last weekend. We thought we where safe from the cold weather and had the dealer de-winterize the RV when we picked it up. Well mother nature can be cruel and we are expecting freezing conditions over the next couple of nights.

Can anyone help me with the steps I need to take.

Thanks

What's freezing conditions (temp expected) and are you connected to shore power.  What is the expected daytime temps as well?  If only 28 degrees or so is expected at night and well above freezing during the day, you should be fine by just running an electric heater at night and maybe leaving kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors open.

Welcome 1DW2KD1DOG to the forum!

First of all, don't panic.  It may have been a bit too early to de-winterize if you live in the north, but it's been done before without damage.  Just take the necessary steps.  Was all the RV antifreeze removed from the system?  Was any untreated water introduced?  As Molaker states, maybe some temporary steps needs to be taken to prevent any freezing of water lines.  Should be short lived remedies. 

Thanks guys I live in Northern Alabama and its nice and warm 50+ during the day and only dipping down at night. Its not connect to shore power. And I only have the furnace in it. I was able to drain the water (they only put a little in it) and I ran the faucets till they where dry. Just wondering what else I needed to do.

I am looking to put the antifreeze in it tonight. I am not sure if I will get to drain the grey water tank (just a few flushes and running water to test the system) will that be a problem?

You should have a couple (hot & cold) low point drains.  If the RV is relatively level, opening these drains and opening all faucets will drain MOST of the water.  If still concerned, you could add some antifreeze to the traps.  Also, you might want to drain the water heater.  All that said, a few hours only a small amount below freezing is not likely to do any damage.  It is your risk, not mine, but personally I would not be too concerned.

I just checked Weather.com and the coldest they are predicting over the next 10 days is 31 degrees tomorrow night.  Even if you are in a hollow somewhere, I don't think you need be concerned.

I'm thinking along the same lines.  You should be fine.  Throw in some RV antifreeze if you want.  It won't hurt anything.  Just be sure to rinse the system out and sanitize it before camping season.  Procedures to do that are in the library.  Extra insurance is never a bad thing (other than the cost).

Have fun with the new toy and ask away with any questions you may have.

Back
Top Bottom