Best / easiest route from Kalispell MT to Dawson Creek and Alaska Highway

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wigpro

I will be leaving Kalispell around April 19th and heading to Alaska, yea I know it is early, but I need to be in Cantwell Alaska by the 1st of May to start work.

I understand the route past Dawson Creek, not too many choices, but with weather a potential issue in mid-April, I was wondering if anyone here can suggest the best route through Alberta and over to Dawson Creek.

Streets and trips routes me up Canadian Route 2 through Ft Macleod to Calgary and then up to Red Deer and Edmonton then over to 16 over to 43 and across to Grande Prairie and then continue on 43 to Dawson Creek.

I have been through Banff and Jasper and realize this may not be the easiest route due to weather, albeit the most scenic, but been there done that!

Any suggestions would be appreciated, especially from our Canadian friends or people who have made the trip before!

Thanks

Jim

That will be the easiest route especially at this time of year with no major passes to cross, the other options are 16 to Prince George then 97 to Dawson Creek (not my first choice) or 16 west then 37. The latter would not be ideal so early in the year. Watch the weather, it can turn nasty in a hurry and be prepared to wait it out. You will also be boondocking, no campgrounds open yet.

If May 1st is an absolute have to be there date, then I would give myself more than 10 days for the trip.

A lot depends on the weather. You may find yourself hunkered down for two or three days if a storm rolls through.

Call your cell provider and add Canadian coverage for your trip. It's much cheaper than paying Canada roaming. Make sure you have the phone number for the RCMP so you can get road conditions.

I think what they are trying to say, Jim, is you can freeze to death or you can starve waiting for the weather to clear. We had thought about driving the Alcan highway, but do not want the wear and tear on our house. Plus, how many trees can you look at before it becomes boring? I read your post about getting a box truck for a tow vehicle. It sounds like a good idea. 

Jim,

I forgot to mention that I assumed you knew that you have to go through Fairbanks. The Denali Highway from Paxson across to Cantwell isn't open that time of year.

Wish I was going with you. I'm homesick.  :)

Jim

As stated, 16 and 97 are definitely not the route to cosider.  Yesterday it was -17 celcius in that country.

Take the route as you found it (on the Trans-Canada) Grande Prairie and north to
Dawson Creek.
You had it right as you posted it.

Good luck on your trip.

Gord

Gord Nelson said:
Jim

As stated, 16 and 97 are definitely not the route to cosider.  Yesterday it was -17 celcius in that country.

Take the route as you found it (on the Trans-Canada) Grande Prairie and north to
Dawson Creek.
You had it right as you posted it.

Good luck on your trip.

Gord

Thanks for all the replies...I have a generator in the back of my truck and will have plenty of extra gas for it...so I won't freeze to death or starve to death and will be warm if I have to wait it out, which I will. May 1st is a pretty hard target, but not do or die...a few days either side would be fine.

Now - does anyone know if there are traffic cams up that way? Any sights that should NOT be missed on that route??

Thanks

Jim

Jim

Sorry I misread your first post.  The directions given by Streets and Trips are the same directions as given by Google Maps.  It is the correct route to take.  All is good, paved road and by that time weather should be relatively warm for the trip.
North of Dawson Creek you will get cold nights and possibly some frost heaves in the road, if they have had lots of sunshine up there.  Otherwise, "most" of that is paved as well.

Look forward to seeing some photos of 'whatever' on the new job!
Gord

Here is a list Jim.  Scroll down to Hwy 43 and there are several cameras (reverse order of your direction of travel, but effective none the less).
There is another route if you don't want the quickest and most direct.  It should be fine that time of year and is all paved Hwy.  Some of the country is spectacular.

You would go on 16 to Jasper National Park, at Tete Jaune Cache you would go north thorough McBride and on to Prince George.  At Prince George you would take the "John Hart Highway" across to Dawson Creek.  Some climbs but nothing heavy.  Pine Pass and Azzuzetta(sp) Lake is a beautiful vista of a lake against high granite mountains.  Nice waterfall there too which would be raging at that time.  Sorry I don't have the Highway number but can post it later if you are interested. ( Modified. That would be Hwy 97 north.

If you're even interested in this route, I'll post any BC cameras that apply.

Great fishing in the East Pine river (Grayling, Rocky Mountain Whitefish) and Trout at Azzuzetta Lake.  There is also a campgound there.

To answer your other question, there is not alot to see one the Hwy 43 route...mostly heavy timber country north of Whitecourt, and then west of Valleyview there is rolling open farm country all the way to Grand Prairie and again between GP and Dawson Creek. (I was raised in Grand Prairie and as a kid can remember standing on the side of the highway(which went through town) and getting chocolar bars from all the soldiers and airmen in the American Convoys travelling to the Alaska Hwy.  I left there in 1950.)

Gord

Thanks Gord for all the info - I will check that other route out and see how it fits in my timeline....the trip North needs to be the easiest with the best chance of less problems....my trip South next fall can be a little more relaxing and see the sights.

I will review the cameras and start to watch them as my time to leave gets closer....still a month away, a bunch can change in a month.

Thanks everyone...

Jim

Back
Top Bottom