My views of Laughlin, NV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Have just posted THIS LINK on FB - of my Flickr album of images from Laughlin, NV.

Some are taken with my Canon 50D with a standard kit lens - or with my 100-400mm L lens. Others are while testing a Canon SX260 HS compact with 20x lens, that it appears I will keep for myself. It has shortcomings, but perfect for my shirt pocket camera needs.

Note the slideshow button - then an F11 for full screen, or,

Single left click the first image, then single left click it again for black background, then F11 for full screen. You can then just click the Next button to view each the same.

These are all high res so either way please "do" the F11 to get the full effect.

My favorite picture is breakfast, followed by chocolate cake a close second.  ;D ;D ;D

My favorite is the photo of me. Oh wait, there are no photos of me. Then I guess my favorite would be the first one. The strange duck is an American Coot. The gull landing is a juvenile Ring Billed Gull. The gull on the lamp post is an adult Ring Bill. The little bird is a House Finch. Second favorite is the hood ornament, third fav is the Koi. Excellent album Bob. I noticed you are geo tagging your photos now. Cool idea.

The Sea plane is a Twin Beech, AKA Beechcraft Model 18. The military aircraft is a Lockheed C-130 -- nice shot. Well, they're all nice shots, but the Mallard Love is probably my favorite, though Gull Landing and Gull on a Lamp Post are close. Little Bird is kinda special, too. Thanks for sharing these, Bob.

BruceinFL said:
My favorite picture is breakfast, followed by chocolate cake a close second.  ;D ;D ;D

Free breakfast buffets "are" nice, Bruce . . .  :)  A weekly stay at the Riverside RV park gets two when registering. They close off breakfast at 11:00AM - but begin bringing out the lunch deserts at 10:45AM. So I plan breakfast at 10:30A to get that chocolate cake thing as a breakfast desert.

SeilerBird said:
My favorite is the photo of me. Oh wait, there are no photos of me.

Sorry I forgot to include the one of you, Tom -- have attached it here. A bit South of Laughlin, though . . .  :)

Then I guess my favorite would be the first one. The strange duck is an American Coot. The gull landing is a juvenile Ring Billed Gull. The gull on the lamp post is an adult Ring Bill. The little bird is a House Finch. Second favorite is the hood ornament, third fav is the Koi. Excellent album Bob. I noticed you are geo tagging your photos now. Cool idea.

Thanks for the feedback, Tom! Your 1st pic is mine as well. The shot of the Riverside at night over the water took some thought plus a young skunk was watching me as he sat under my tripod that night. I was in the weeds under the East bridge abutment. The '39 Packard hood ornament background was actually an ugly parking lot - but plenty of colored and bright lights for the bokeh effect.

Thanks for naming the birds for me - again. If it isn't a gull, pigeon, or dove - I need help.

Koi????

The geo tagging came with the SX260 HS compact - and am still experimenting with it. Would have liked WiFi as well but that model only had GPS. The have an SX240 with WiFi, but it is only marketed in Europe if I recall.

Attachments

• TomOnQMtn.JPG
    TomOnQMtn.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 25
Larry N. said:
The Sea plane is a Twin Beech, AKA Beechcraft Model 18. The military aircraft is a Lockheed C-130 -- nice shot. Well, they're all nice shots, but the Mallard Love is probably my favorite, though Gull Landing and Gull on a Lamp Post are close. Little Bird is kinda special, too. Thanks for sharing these, Bob.

Thank you, Larry!! I appreciate your comments . . .

And thanks for naming the planes. I believe I have all the bird and plane names correct on the images now. The Twin Beech actually surprised me because I took it w/the little SX260 compact while having breakfast at the Riverside. So was across the river behind a window and such. The Lockheed C-130 was doing touch and go practice at the Laughlin/Bullhead airport so was a nice test of my Canon 100-400mm lens.

Again, thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the photo of me. I will add it to my collection of photos of me. If you have any more of me I want them.

I found out a long time ago that the viewers of my photos were generally curious to know exactly what species they were looking at, so I always attempt to figure out what they are. I have a cabinet full of field guides to help me out.

BTW - Tonight is the best night to shoot Comet Panstarrs if you have clear skies.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/moon-comet-panstarrs-in-western-sky-after-sunset-march-14

Have added THIS image to my Laughlin Album set on Flickr.

I shot it yesterday while on Highway 163 NW of Laughlin about a mile or so. We had a number of days of heavy rain in the past week or so - and those familiar with the AZ desert areas know how that effects the wild flowers. The highways areas are now covered with these beautiful purple colored flowers.

Best I can tell these are Arizona Lupines - but if I'm wrong, please let me know.

With my replaced hips and and such, it's hard for me to get down low enough for this kind of shot. Actually, it's getting back up that is the chore.  :)  One of the 1st features that I don't have on my Canon 50D is a flexing LCD that I will be looking for if/when I ever update.

The link should put you back in the album - so a left click should give the black background w/next/previous buttons. And F11 for full screen.

Bob,

Nice shots!  Lots of good ones ... I like the night shots and the Packard hood ornament in particular.

Thanks for sharing!

Howard

I have a new Canon 60D that I am trying to learn how to use.  Perhaps if you are in Moab, we can
set down and talk camera for a while.  Very nice shots you have here. 

Howard R said:
Bob,

Nice shots!  Lots of good ones ... I like the night shots and the Packard hood ornament in particular.

Thanks for sharing!

Howard

Hello Howard -- thanks for the comments!! I find the hood ornaments on restored cars fun to find and photograph. Here is one you may also like taken of the a common hood ornament of restored model A Fords,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/7020298445/in/set-72157629287124536

I also find this ornament on a number of restored model A's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon/7007115567/in/set-72157629287124536/

Here I was trying to also show the line of model A's as well, but to still have the eye drawn to the ornament.

THE-BigLarry said:
I have a new Canon 60D that I am trying to learn how to use.  Perhaps if you are in Moab, we can
set down and talk camera for a while.  Very nice shots you have here.

Thank you for the comments on my shots, Larry -- I appreciate that!

Unfortunately, I won't be going to Moab. Just returned to NCal for AZ and Souther NV - a bit over 1400 miles round trip. So with the cost fuel cannot do much more traveling at least for now.  :(  Otherwise, I would love to chat with you about the 60D.

That's a great camera and I'm sure you will enjoy what it will do for you. Actually, I keep my manual with me (plus one for my 580SX flash) at all times because I still have a lot to learn plus forget some of the things I don't do that often.

There are quite a few Canon DSLR shooter here on the forum so we should be able to answer most of the questions you might have. Also, Tom (Seilerbird) shot with a 50D before moving to Sony equipment. Are you new to photography or just to the 60D?

Back
Top Bottom