Roadtrek questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dyere

We are new to conversion vans and looking to buy a used roadtrek. Would love some advice on which years to buy, years to avoid, problems to be aware of etc.

We are accustomed to tent camping and so a roadtrek will be a big step-up for us and I suspect we won't mind the limited space; it will be two of us plus a 40# dog, mostly 3-10 day trips, and we would actually prefer that there is NOT a toilet in the vehicle, although clearly most conversions have one.

Thanks for any advice you have.

"dyere" ... Welcome to the RV FORUM. Since you have asked specifically about the Roadtrek, I will let Roadtrek owners reply. I have a Winnebago ERA with is on the Mercedes Sprinter chassis. Have you decided wether you are looking for a Roadtrek on the Sprinter Chassis or are you looking for one on the Chevy chassis? Gas VS Diesel? There seems to be so many choices and there are many manufacturers of the Class B RV. You may not want to limit your  choices to just the Roadtrek until you have done more research ... unless you have make your might up definitely on the Roadtrek ... which is a good choice.

Good luck on your deliberations.

Happy and Safe Travels

Karsty said:
Have you decided wether you are looking for a Roadtrek on the Sprinter Chassis or are you looking for one on the Chevy chassis? Gas VS Diesel?

We started by looking at eurovans and vanagon conversions but felt they were overpriced for the mileage and probably too small for us. the RT 170 and RT 190 seemed ideal in terms of size. Primarily looking at chevy chassis but only because the sprinter is more expensive. Would love diesel, but not particular.

Mostly want to know which RT170 and RT190 years are the best, and which ones to avoid. And also if there are specific problems that certain years have so that we can pay more attention to those features as we look at used vehicles.

Greetings dyere,

I've been looking at the Roadtreks for about a year and doing a lot of searching on the internet. I guess my advise based on where I am at right now, would be to try to look at the features of the various models of Roadtrek and decide on a model that suits you and your wife. Then I would begin by putting searches in for that type of model. You will begin to see comments on various features of the RV you have selected and possible problems to avoid or be aware of. It should help you select a unit and perhaps even ask questions you need to ask when buying.

I've been looking on RV Trader to search for the various Roadtreks available to buy and perhaps it might also help you in your search. I doubt that you will find a unit that doesn't have a toilet.

http://www.rvtrader.com/rv-types/search-results?vrsn=links&format=type

Don't know if this is any help but my effort with my minimum experience.

Roadtrek N6-Active is a Class B - No bathroom - It pops up when you park. An SUV with a refrigerator, sink and microwave. A minivan that can  tow 8,000 lbs. An SUV that gets up to 18 MPG. A people hauler  that you wouldn?t be embarrassed to drive. An RV you can drive every day. These are just a few of the features of the N6-Active. I sleeps up to 5.  Check it out.

amydon said:
Roadtrek N6-Active is a Class B - No bathroom - It pops up when you park. An SUV with a refrigerator, sink and microwave. A minivan that can  tow 8,000 lbs. An SUV that gets up to 18 MPG. A people hauler  that you wouldn?t be embarrassed to drive. An RV you can drive every day. These are just a few of the features of the N6-Active. I sleeps up to 5.  Check it out.

I suppose  it depends on your needs but an RV without a bathroom of any kind is not an RV in my opinion. Most RV's are not intended to be "people haulers". If that's what you need then you'd be further ahead looking at a van or SUV of some kind. Just my opinion.

There are a lot of choices out there now. I just looked at the new Class B's from Advanced RV. They are very high quality and nicely laid out units. Pricey to say the least ... but it all depends what you want. I also like several models of the Leisure Travel Vans. Roadtrek, Winnebago, Sportsmobile, Pleasure-ways ... whoever the manufacture ... there's bound to be something out their that you like and meets your needs.

camperAl ... you been searching for a while now. Find anything that catches your eye yet??? There's a lot of country out there than needs exploring and adventures to be had.

We have a 1999 roadtrek 200V. It is really more of a C than a B as it was built on a cutaway chassis. It has the most storage of any roadtrek then or now. It did have some leak problems with the rear window but we pulled it and replaced the gasket with Buytal tape and should never leak again. Ours has a 454 in it so the milage is not great but we pull a crago trailer with 2 motorcycles in it so the bigger engine is nice. It also slows better on hills with it. Ours now has solar and a fair sized inverter as we spend the winter in Quartzsite boon docking in the desert. We love it yet may look at a larger unit for spending the winter in. Just not sure yet which way to go. We would loss lots of places we can now park with it. Tough decision to make.

What are the differences between Roadtrek Popular 170 and Popular 190? Within each, are there differing bed arrangements? Thanks!

For a current model check the specs here:

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/170-versatile/

http://www.roadtrek.com/models/190-popular/

There does does not appear to be a "popular" version in the 170 model series currently.

Some of the older models may be slightly different but are likely similar.

Note the thread you tagged onto here is at least 4-5 years old. Not a problem but it is often better to start a new one when the existing is "getting long in the tooth".

dyere said:
we would actually prefer that there is NOT a toilet in the vehicle, although clearly most conversions have one.

One possibility is to purchase a Class B with a toilet, remove it and store it, cap the drain and put down a removable floor over it. Not a hard task at all. Convert that space into a closet, shelves, etc. This can easily be undone when you wish to sell it, and the resale value with be higher than one without a toilet. I get the not wanting one, but at the same time at 3am when you just have to go and its raining out, I like having it ;)

ameanderer said:
What are the differences between Roadtrek Popular 170 and Popular 190? Within each, are there differing bed arrangements? Thanks!

The 170 is a short van (17'), while the 190 is longer (19'). Both the 190 and 170 use the standard van body and components are built inside the van. The 210 is a shade longer, but also a wide body with a fiberglass shell which is built on a cutaway chassis. There are two main floor plans, the Popular (seats 3), and the Versatile (seats 4). I'm not sure if both floor plans are available in the 170, but there is a option to replace the seat behind the driver with a storage cabinet, which makes it very much like the Popular model. Google search for Roadtrek 190 170 floor plans and check the images for a good visual representation.

If you are changing from tent camping to a Roadtrek with only your dog, consider the SSagile- 19 ft 2500 series.
I would suggest one not "updated" requiring DEF fluid added periodically since the emissions change creates a whole host of problems.
I would also suggest purchasing thru a dealer because as a used van you are buying a "question mark" no matter what and if you purchase from a dealer purchase only one with some sort of limited warranty because the odds are good that if there are any issues they should reveal themselves soon after use and purchase. Just do your homework on what is a fair price and do not be gouged!!
Enjoy and safe travels
Vic

I've heard Roadtrex is now Chapter 7. I also heard it was primarily because they could no longer purchase Sprinter chassis from Mercedes since they did not follow Up-Fitter restrictions.

Good luck in your venture!

Mike

I found this:

https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/02/15/rv-maker-erwin-hymer-closes-doors.html

We are new to conversion vans and looking to buy a used roadtrek. Would love some advice on which years to buy, years to avoid, problems to be aware of etc.

We are accustomed to tent camping and so a roadtrek will be a big step-up for us and I suspect we won't mind the limited space; it will be two of us plus a 40# dog, mostly 3-10 day trips, and we would actually prefer that there is NOT a toilet in the vehicle, although clearly most conversions have one.

Ewe are selling our 2015 Roadtrek Agile for $95 K which has only 37,000 miles. It is in mint condition and gets 24 mpg. Check out website prices and you will find our van to be excellent. Let us know if you want pics and more info with your email address. We just listed it and it will sell quickly!!
Vic W

Check out our ad for our Roadtrek for sale on RVt. It's a 2015 Roadtrek Agile in mint condition. Check out the ad with pics!!

Back
Top Bottom