Back-in Camp Sites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

68chstiger

We have just bought a travel trailer and I have been looking at different campgrounds and their layouts. It seems the majority of them require that you back in on your blind side not the drivers side. Is this the norm and why would they design campgrounds that way. Isn't it a lot easier to back a trailer in from the driver's side? Just wondering

68chstiger

Most sites are angled so you drive passed them then back into them.  If the road is one-way, commonly there will be sites on either side so there will be driver's side and passenger side back-ins.  However, if the road is two-way, the sites will be angled for the right side (passenger side) of the road simply because we drive on the right.  And that's all I've got to say about that. :)

68chstiger said:
We have just bought a travel trailer and I have been looking at different campgrounds and their layouts. It seems the majority of them require that you back in on your blind side not the drivers side. Is this the norm and why would they design campgrounds that way. Isn't it a lot easier to back a trailer in from the driver's side? Just wondering

Most of them around here use, primarily, one-way roads with sites on both sides of the road at a 45 degree angle, more or less, to the road.  The state parks are almost all set up this way.

Some county and private parks either have pull-throughs or have larger two-way roads with sites a 90 degrees, where with some planning, you can back in whichever way you want.

As with any site...walk the path and look for problems.. use a spotter that you can always see or and if at all possible be in walky-talky[sp] with, and get out and look anytime your not comfortable.
Backing is a practiced skill ...the more you do the better you'll get..
Blind-side backing is harder but doable for most with assistance and practice..
Empty parking lots and traffic cones are a great way to get the basics under your belt.

Even now with a class A if there's any doubt in my mind I will get out and check..and use a flashlight to illuminate an obstacle I'm worried about such as a sewer stand-off that is hidden..

George 

Set yourself up for backing in as you approach the site. Rig parallel to opposite edge of road, four ways flashing. Cut wheel and aim tow vehicle directly for where you will back in. As tow vehicle passes opening, or a little past, turn back toward opposite side of road. Watch trailer in mirror as back end of trailer passes opening, cut wheel back other way so rig is already articulated and aimed at your spot. Sometimes there isn't enough room to do it any other way.
Takes a time or three 'til you figure out how the wheel base is going to play together. A short trailer with a long truck will be hard to chase backing up, easy to jack knife. The longer the trailer the easier to chase, but you need more room to cut an arc. Carefully consider what you do with the wheel when pulling up to increase or decrease arc.
When learning how to back a trailer, it helps to grip steering wheel at bottom. No mental gymnastics trying to remember which way to turn the wheel to do what you want, just move your hands the direction you want the back of the trailer to go. small or slow adjustments of the wheel work better than large flailing of the arms.

The object of the set up manuever is to set your rig already aimed to cut an arc into your spot with minimal input from you.
Don't hesitate to get out and look around. Last I knew, CDL A road testers encourage three get outs and three pull ups per maneuver. However they don't allow a set up maneuver. Have never even been looked at cross eyed by a LEO for it though.

Hope that helps.
Bill

http://www.betterrving.com/Article/RV_Tips/RV_Driving_Course_Adjusting_Mirrors 

Watch the videos they are GREAT I learned a lot from them.

Thanks  for the help, looks like practice, patience and a good spotter is the key.

68chstiger

68chstiger said:
Thanks  for the help, looks like practice, patience and a good spotter is the key.

68chstiger

Listening to the spotter also has proven effective...  :D

Also, don't be afraid of making the other half learn how to back up as well. This helps the communication process because each other knows the job of the partner, and if something ever happens to you she'll have the basic idea of how to do it.

My blushing bride can back up both of our trailers, our 16' tandem axle flat bed and our 24' TT.

We've gotten home late on a Sunday night, unpacked the critical stuff and left the TT hooked up to the truck in the driveway. I've come home from work and the truck and trailer has been moved back to original spot and I just have to unhook and stablize the TT!

Oly

Olys45 said:
Listening to the spotter also has proven effective...  :D

Listening to the spotter is vital. And if you can't SEE the spotter, stop and wait until you CAN see the spotter.

Olys45 said:
Also, don't be afraid of making the other half learn how to back up as well.

MAKE the other half learn how to back up. When Mike ended up in the hospital earlier this winter, I had to move the motorhome and back it into a space in crowded quarters. Now I know I can do it and while I don't want to, I can.

Wendy

I'd strongly suggest that the driver and spotter both learn the FMCA basic hand signals. If someone else comes on scene (e.g. a "helpful" campground host), ignore them and follow the signals of your spotter.

As Wendy correctly said, "if you can't SEE the spotter, stop and wait until you CAN see the spotter".

Becky and I have walkie talkies and a pretty good system, so we have it down. Its frustrating sometimes when a 3rd or even 4th party gets involved, such as a camp host, or a person from a site nearby. We understand they are just being friendly and trying to help. Having someone talking to you at the driver's side window while trying to see and hear your partner is not good. Does anyone know a nice polite way to tell those who are just being nice, "we got it"?

I'd probably say something like: "Thanks for the offer to help -- I'll be with you in a minute." Under certain circumstances I might add: "I need all my attention focused on the trailer for a minute." Or, if necessary, even something about "My spotter and I are doing fine --thanks."

I'd like to add two things:

• If you ever find yourself backing into a spot and there are vehicles parked along the road too close for comfort, don't hesitate to ask the owners to move them. Even if they are involved in a conversation or eating dinner, they would much rather take the time to move their truck than have the first meeting with you be an exchange of insurance information!
  • If you are backing in and there is someone waiting in the road to get by, let them wait. You will get the occasional "gotta get there now" type who will blast past you the first chance he gets but for the most part, he will just hang out and wait for you to finish...we've all made others wait and we've all had to wait. You don't want to block the road unnecessarily but don't rush, either - this can only end badly.

Back
Top Bottom