Drinking in campgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gracie445

Hello all, Iv'e been a member a month or so now just reading up but now I have a question.  We ordered our new TT a few weeks ago and are now patiently waiting to pick it up this Saturday.  While we have been waiting for the day to come we had booked many weekends though out this summer and I had just now realized that alcohol is prohibited at all state parks.  So basically I am asking is this strictly enforced?  I'm not throwing a party, just want to have a beer while relaxing. 

Thanks.

I've never had a problem having a beer or a glass of wine or a cocktail at a state campsite. Of course when we do have a drink we do it responsibly.

Depends on the state, which ranger(s) are on duty, whether a neighbor sees you and complains, and your behavior. We always leave any container with a label or appearance easily identified as alcoholic inside out of sight. Never had a problem, but have seen many who have.

Gracie445 said:
Hello all, Iv'e been a member a month or so now just reading up but now I have a question.  We ordered our new TT a few weeks ago and are now patiently waiting to pick it up this Saturday.  While we have been waiting for the day to come we had booked many weekends though out this summer and I had just now realized that alcohol is prohibited at all state parks.  So basically I am asking is this strictly enforced?  I'm not throwing a party, just want to have a beer while relaxing. 

Which state?  Liquor laws are up to the individual states --  a California is going to be a lot different than a Kansas or Oklahoma.  Some states give counties the power to declare themselves dry.  Indian reservations can also be dry (eg the Navajo Rez in Arizona). 

If you are worried, simply do your drinking inside your RV -- discreation is the best part of valor.  8)

I have been to State and National campgrounds from one side of the country to the other.  Even in a campground that does have regulations regarding alcohol, I have never been asked to put my beer away.  I believe it is a rule that is put on the books to enforce if someone can not or will not control their behavior.  Those that do get out of control are usually alcohol related. 

Thanks all for the input! I figured it wasn't strictly enforced to the point of checking coolers and such just for the heck of it by the rangers unless warranted.  Thanks.

I was camping in a city park in Watsonville, California last summer. Several relatives came over for a BBQ. A few of them were drinking beer. It was the middle of the afternoon and we were being polite and quiet. A park worker approached us and informed us drinking was illegal in the park. I mentioned that I had not seen it in the rules. She stated there were signs all over the place. I later on looked for signs and could not find one. No one put their beers away, they just hid them a bit better and we had no problem. I felt they should have told me about the rule when I checked in, not after we were violating the rule.

It's surprising how many campgrounds have a no alcohol rule, but I agree it's primarily a rule to help them get rid of unruly guests.  It's surprising that Tom's family was approached.  The only time we've seen it enforced was in Death Valley when a very rowdy group caused a problem.  The ranger came to quiet them down and as she was walking away one of the guys threw a beer bottle at her and hit her.  She just looked at him and walked back to her truck.  Pretty soon she had backup, the guy who threw the bottle was handcuffed and taken away.  A few hours later a truck came and took his tent, motorcycle, etc.  We saw the ranger the next day and she said he was in the nearest jail because it was a Federal offense to assault a Federal officer.

I'll bet most people probably don't read the rules after checking in.  Anyway, we've always just disguised the container so most people probably wouldn't know whether what we're drinking is alcohol or not.  As long as you aren't rowdy, the chances are that no one will mention it.  Being discrete helps.

ArdraF

SargeW said:
I have been to State and National campgrounds from one side of the country to the other.  Even in a campground that does have regulations regarding alcohol, I have never been asked to put my beer away.  I believe it is a rule that is put on the books to enforce if someone can not or will not control their behavior.  Those that do get out of control are usually alcohol related.

Exactly. 

Mind your manners, be quiet, polite and respectful, and you're very unlikely to get called out on anything. 

Frizlefrak said:
Exactly. 

Mind your manners, be quiet, polite and respectful, and you're very unlikely to get called out on anything.

This is true for so many things!

In most cases a "no alcohol" rule applies only in public areas and your site, or at least the interior of your RV, is exempt. But not everywhere - the rules are set by state and local governments and can vary widely. As can their interpretation by park staff.

I always try to be circumspect if there are signs or printed rules and I am not sure of the local law.

I am currently operating a U.S.C.O.E. Park, and in the park rules that we hand out on check in is no public consumption of alcohol. None of our rangers will bother anyone who is acting properly. We do have local Police, County, and State Police who come through the park. If you handle your self properly and respect other campers there are no problems. If we get a complaint from another camper we talk to the person who was complained against and discuss what they need to do to keep harmony. Under aged drinkers will be delt with by tle local authorities.
If a guest does not feel the rules apply to them, then they are advised to leave. If they decline to do so, then a ranger is brought in and he enforces the request along with a federal citation requiring a mandatory appearance in federal court. In 13 years, we have had only four cases that involved a ranger, and two of them involved arrest and having their camping equipment towed from the park and impounded.

Lee

I always drink everywhere I go and never let the laws mess with me. I can always drink my water, soda and Ice tea where ever I am, just have to be ready to share.

Ohio has all state parks posted no alcohol, However if you read the law it specifically excepts your domicile (tent, trailer, rv).    The signs they post don't mention that so take signage with a grain of salt.

Friends back in RI had Pepsi and coke cans I think laser cut, they would fit right over a beer can.  The guy doing it had a beer can cut and the tee totaler would dlip it over his coke can.

Act responsibly and you ought to be fine.

Minnesota state parks say it's "illegal to consume intoxicating liquors or to display liquor containers in public." I suppose technically these means anything "outside" of your rig, but we've never had a problem enjoying a beer at the picnic table. I think this is the rangers trump card for those dumb enough to disrupt the peace and quiet of others.

Back
Top Bottom