Drinking in campgrounds?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My DW and I were is a couple state parks inTX in February and there were signs about this in each one of them.

Campgrounds fall into two groups, Public and Private.

Most if not all Public (Government operated, Such as County, State, Core of Engineers and other Federal parks) the rule is no booze, period,  Now, if you are discrete, (The old Papsi (Beer in a Pepsi can) is generally overlooked so long as you don't have one too many.

Story posted by one camper he left his 12 pack sitting on the picnic table while he went to town, He got it back when he checked out of the park (The rangers kept it in their office till he was ready to leave) at the end of his stay.. They did not kick him out but they did confiscate his beer, still sealed.

Private campgrounds the rules are up to the owners or managers,

In all cases drunk and disorderly is generally considered to be cause for an early termination of your stay in the park,,  And may even get you a stay in a government run hotel.. The one where they forget to give you the key to the door. 

ArdraF said:
I'll bet most people probably don't read the rules after checking in.  Anyway, we've always just disguised the container so most people probably wouldn't know whether what we're drinking is alcohol or not.  As long as you aren't rowdy, the chances are that no one will mention it.  Being discrete helps.

Ardra

That's why I walk funny, talk funny and always loveable. No one ever knows the difference. That some sweet tea your drinking there mister. You bet-u.

Edit: Fixed quote.

In Colorado do not have any liquor or beer container open at any time in your car or truck, even an empty. An open one is subject to penalty for you if found by LEO.

MI state campgrounds and most county parks all have the same typical rules.  Public alcohol usage is banned.  However, common sense is the key here.  When I was traveling before I bought my own property and parked it, it almost was expected to see the "campground police" or local law enforcement officers take a stroll thru the campground and be told that we were doing a no-no.  None of them wanted to see good return campers who just happened to be drinking an alcoholic beverage not come back.  A subtle warning was given.  ;)

Once confronted, it also became obvious that the campground owners and the law enforcement officials realized that we were there on vacation, behaving ourselves, and not peeing on the neighboring sites bushes and causing trouble.  Nothing more than a cold drink and relaxing. 

I was just asked to keep my Bud Light can under "wraps" and out of sight.  To continue behaving myself and stay as low key as possible.  Not an unreasonable request with the rules in mind.  I don't have a halo hovering above my head.  I totally understand and have no problem with the rule.

Rancher Will said:
In Colorado do not have any liquor or beer container open at any time in your car or truck, even an empty. An open one is subject to penalty for you if found by LEO.

To clarify a bit more - anyone behind the driver or front seat passenger MAY consume alcohol while on public roads in Colorado! RV's got tied in with limos.

Memories of camping at Cheesequake State Park in New Jersey.  One of the rangers was nick named Barney.  It was said that he hid in the bushes to catch people drinking.

That was also where the Bathroom **** worked.  But that's another whole story.

THREW A BEER BOTTLE AT A FEDERAL OFFICER. MY GOD HOW DRUNK WAS HE.  I don't think I could get THAT drunk and if I did hopefully I would pass out before I did anything that STOOOPID.

alk

Yep, he sure enough did.  We watched the whole event unfold from before the ranger's arrival to the removal of his stuff.  Kept us entertained for quite a while.  The ranger was pretty cool handling it.  When we spoke with her the next day we offered to make a statement but she said it wouldn't be necessary.  As a friend says, never underestimate stupidity.

ArdraF

Park owners/managers want to make sure the rules are read - and get a signature to that effect if possible. My SW pumps out 2 copies of the registration receipt by default though can be overridden for however many copies needed. At the bottom of the receipt are general impact rules such as drinking and refund policies. I place a few of the standard most parks use and allow modification under Preferences.

Some parks have tons of rules - so one line item that I place and have rarely seen it modified is something to the effect of, "I will read and comply with all park rules as posted or given to me". When that copy comes out of the printer, it is given to the person registering to sign and return to the desk person. The second copy is then given for the customers records. This way the park has that signed statement on file.

Parks post rules and most savvy ones will give the RVer a copy when they register. Several companies do Map Brochures for parks. They come to the park, get all the info they need to draw the map - then solicit advertising from businesses in the area that would cater to folk staying in the park - such as restaurants, RV dealerships, repair shops, and so forth. The park then uses that brochure to direct the RVer to the site. The brochure contains the map, the advertising, the rules, plus other stuff such as local TV stations and such. It is a win/win for the park because for them it is free. The mapping company makes their money from the advertisers.

My favourite memory goes back many years to a May 24th (Victoria Day) weekend in Algonquin Park. That's when we all celebrate the beginning of the camping season here in Ontario; and when the college kids celebrate the beginning freedom for the summer.

There were about 15 or 20 college kids camped a couple sites away from us, with four tiers of beer cases piled 6 feet high!!  :eek:. They started the evening by opening up their tailgates, and cranking up their megawatt steros to full blast!

So . . . about 11 pm or so, when all Hell was breaking loose, with no reasonable expectation for it to die down for the duration of the night, I went out to register my displeasure with a ranger. I didn't have to go that far: they were all over the place! ;) The first ranger we encountered, requested that we be patient, and enjoy the fun; and after having hearing their plan, we enthusiastically agree!  ;)

Game Plan: Let them drink all they want, and make as much noise as they want; but at 5 am, when they have either passed out, or are still up puking, we are going to move in and take action!!

And true to their word, the rangers moved in at 5 am and kicked the whole works of them out of the campground; which meant carrying out anything they could manage to carry, over a mile or so to the main highway; and it was from there they had to figure out how to get home, and return to pick up their vehicles from the impound after they sobered up! ;D

Stan Birch said:
And true to their word, the rangers moved in at 5 am and kicked the whole works of them out of the campground; which meant carrying out anything they could manage to carry, over a mile or so to the main highway; and it was from there they had to figure out how to get home, and return to pick up their vehicles from the impound after they sobered up! ;D

Love it.

I thought they would say wait until 0500 when they're finally passed out and get up and start clanging and banging around.  Nothing worse than noise when you're hung over. 

I honestly don't care if a group hoots and hollers for a while, but shut it down by a reasonable hour.  If it's still going at 2 AM, the Sheriff / Ranger/ whatever is getting called.

Great story, Stan.  The only problem for me is if I was in a close enough site, I would have probably gone ballistic well before 5am!  I might have killed someone that nite.

Bet it was fun to watch.

Stan Birch said:
The first ranger we encountered, requested that we be patient, and enjoy the fun; and after having hearing their plan, we enthusiastically agree!  ;)

Game Plan: Let them drink all they want, and make as much noise as they want; but at 5 am, when they have either passed out, or are still up puking, we are going to move in and take action!!

It would seem the park host or rangers would give them a warning first. I had a similar incident happen several years back at Pismo Beach State campground on the California coast. In the next site to mine about 10 young campers set up and broke out the beer and noise. By 11:00PM it was totally out of control. The campground host had been by around 10:45PM and appeared to be asking them to keep it down and reminding them of the time limits on noise - but they apparently disregarded his warning. Shortly later park ranger also stopped by, but his warning was ignored as well.

Anyway, shortly after 11:00PM two ranger vehicles arrived - together with 4 rangers. Obviously, at Pismo, if the campground host has to call the rangers a second time, a camper or campers is in deep trouble. They were there about 20 minutes total checking ID's and such. After they left I heard moderate noise for about another 1/2 hour - then vehicles starting - and within the next 10 minutes that site was empty and I got good nights sleep.

That would seem a  better approach than letting them bother everyone all night and making a fun game of it all vs. nipping it in the bud before it got out of hand to begin with.

Hmmm... Well first off I'm not a big alcohol drinker but do enjoy a beer every now and then. So I don't think I would have a big issue with this problem. Also then on the flip side of thing that why when I go camping I typically go where no one else will go so I can sit out drink beer and not be bothered by other neighbors. Heck I've got over 500 ft on both sides of my sticks and bricks to a neighbors house why would I go camping and have neighbors less than 20-30 feet? Food for thought.  ;)

I'm with Mike.  Not a fan of crowds or CG's anymore.  Now I find myself cussing at Screech and Barred Owls for making too much noise during the night sometimes.  ;D
I much prefer it that way.

In addition to Mr. Buchanan's story, I just wondered if the local cops were hiding a piece down the public road when the boisterous campers headed out?  Something tells me that the fun may have gone beyond the CG.  Can you spell DUI?

Alcohol is allowed in Oregon state park campgrounds, but abuse the privilege and the offender may be evicted. Throw a beer bottle at a ranger? Dumb move. A deputy will be there to haul that person away to jail for assault. Before I became a park ranger for Oregon State Parks, I worked at a regional park and campground that did have a no alcohol rule. Because of it's location, without that rule the park would have attracted the wild and rowdy drunks; who were causing problems at other local parks before they also changed the rules to no alcohol.  The rule was in place as a deterrent, but we knew people were drinking in their campsites. After all, we emptied the trash cans -- lots of beer and wine bottles in those trash cans.  ;)  We also "didn't see" the nice couples sitting around their campfires with a glass of wine or a beer in their hands.  A no alcohol rule tends to keep campers on their best behaviour, which makes for a nice camping experience for all.  :D

I rarely ever drink, but spend 90% of my time in public owned campgrounds that generally do not allow alcohol. I have friends that travel with me or visit that enjoy alcohol. I've been known to have a drink now and then with a friend, but it's rare for me now, due to health reasons.

I insist they put it all in a plain cup or coffee mug.  I don't want any trouble and many rangers will totally overlook alcohol on your own lot, but I feel no need to shove it in their face either.

I happen to have assorted ceramic coffee mugs and stainless steel tumblers in the freezer that fit inside coozie holders (to make them drip free.)

I have never seen anyone have their site searched. I don't think they can legally come search your RV for alcohol, but then again, so many freedoms in America have seriously eroded over the years, so no telling.

But I for one suggest you try to obey the rules and if you want to bend them, hide the alcohol in a coffee mug or tall opaque tumblers. 

There are campgrounds that allow drinking, I stayed in one that had an active bring your own booze happy hour 7 days a week at a common firepit.  People stumbled around day and night with alcohol, it was allowed.

The biggest problem with alcohol in campgrounds is that some (not all) folks tend to get a little more deaf with each drink... and they simultaneously are convinced that everyone else is deaf too, so after a few or so they sometimes become super LOUD and want to make darn sure that everyone in the campground knows they are drinking and talking and so on.

DearMissMermaid said:
But I for one suggest you try to obey the rules and if you want to bend them, hide the alcohol in a coffee mug or tall opaque tumblers. 

There are campgrounds that allow drinking, I stayed in one that had an active bring your own booze happy hour 7 days a week at a common firepit.  People stumbled around day and night with alcohol, it was allowed.

Bingo!  Common sense.  For those of us that know how to respect the neighbors in a CG.  There are children roaming around for crying out loud!  Who would want to act like an idiot and expect to be welcomed back?

I like to drink beer.  Been that way for many years.  Hard liquor maybe touched by my hands a half dozen times a year.  Give me an ice cold Bud Light and I am happy.  I also know how to act in a CG.  I would never want a neighboring site of me to be upset at how I would be acting.  Respect is to be earned, not assumed.

When pulling, I found most CG's felt the same way.  My 2 cents.

I mentioned this in a prior post a while back but Kim likes the "Smirnoff Ice" drinks. For those who do not know, it's a clear beverage in a 12 oz. glass bottle. If we go for a walk or head to the pool, she will pour one in a plastic water bottle to alleviate any worry about broken glass. This has a secondary effect of "hiding" the true nature of the drink from everyone else but she clearly marks the bottle "mom" so the kids know not to take a sip.  ;D

Back
Top Bottom