Quote on new tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captsteve

Just got back from my buddys tire shop.

6 ea 295/75r22.5 all postion  load h  Samson  Installed with Dyna Beads  $1800.00

I know it's a mid grade tire, but I am looking at 5k miles a year on this set. My next set will get used up, for them I'll get some Michelins

Does this sound like a fair deal for what they are?

You might be surprised with the performance with those tires. I priced a set of  Michelins for my old coach and bout fell over. My coach had  Michelins on it new. The po put on a set of Bridgestones on the rear, and I bought a used set of Bridgestones for the front a couple years ago. They were getting too old so I replaced all the tires last fall, with Bridgestones at 1/3 the price of  Michelins. I actually thought the Bridestones rode a bit better than the  Michelins, when I replaced a couple years ago. They were also over 10 years old, with no sidewall or tread cracking. I replaced them just because of all the stories, and didn't want to chance damage to the coach.  You may end up liking them.

I put some chinese Goodrides on my last coach, I loved the ride on those. My bud has not steered me wrong yet...

It's a heck of a price for that size tire. Whether Samson will hold up or not is anybody's guess. Hopefully your buddy will stand behind them - and is close by should you have a problem. Let us know how it goes after a couple years...

It has been my observation with cars and SUVs that Michelin tires are worth the money if you put a lot of miles on them.  If you don?t think you are going to put more than 5K to 8K miles a year on the rig than the lesser priced tires are fine.  Michelins wear well and hold up well over the long haul.  That is what you are paying for.  As for ride and traction there are lots of tires that will match or even exceed Michelins but may not last as long.  When you change out tires every 7 to 10 years you want to get your money?s worth out of the tread.  I figure that big truck tires are the same in this respect.  I my RV came with Michelins.  4 are five years old and two are only a year old.  When the time comes I most likely will not get Michelins just because I don?t put the miles on them to get my money?s worth.
Just my two cents worth

Al, that is a good deal. I just put 4 Mchelins on the back of my coach last season and it cost me $2800 in Mesa, Arizona. The dealer confided in me when I questioned the price, he said Michelin is charging whatever they want because people are still buying them.

Bill

I am an owner of a tire shop and have sold tires for the last 6 years and was a salesman in the commercial side for 10 years prior. Samson is not a mid-grade tire, it is an entry level import. There has been some success with imports although the warranty department does not speak english. In order to feel fully confident in the product you just have to put your faith in the dealer to stand behind them for any ride discomfort or irregular wear issues. Personally myself with a coach as nice as you have I would upgrade to a little better quality tire like a Toyo,Firestone,Sumitomo,Kelly, or Yokohama. These are considered tier 2 tires and the major label like Michelin,Bridgestone etc. are tier 1. Samson and other imports are  tier 3.  JMO

CaptSteve as far as the price he is shooting you straight on the price I just recommend you purchase a better quality tire. We sell these tires for  semi-trailers. There is a day and night difference in the technology built in to the casing versus a more quality tire. That is no old run down coach you have there as a matter of fact it is a gorgeous coach. I would still deal with this guy but just have him quote you some other product. Not to offend you in any way just being honest with you on advice.

Thank you for the advice! It will be next month that I get tires and I am gonna get something a bit better.

Steve, i believe it is the outfit, FMCA, that has a discount price for its members on Michelin tires, others chime in if I am wrong, but i believe that to be true. May be worth it to join just for the discount. That $2800 was the price out the door for the 4 Michelin rear tires, balanced and installed from Redburn Tire in Mesa, Arizona last season without any discount.
Bill

BLAKDUKE said:
I put 6 new TOYOs on my rv last summer.  They ride great.  As I recall $2800 out the door.

We are now 100% TOYO's as well... $420 each plus tax and install.  They do ride great!!!  Only got 6.5 years out of the XRV's.  The tire place told me that he sells 50+ TOYO's for every Michelin and has very few issues.  We got the M154 series.  We don't put many miles on the tires so these will probably age out was before they wear out... just like the Michelins.  They seem to be easier to steer too.  Don't seem to leak... via permeability like the Goodyear tires seem to.  I did lose more time than I liked with date codes.  Don't know about the tier stuff but don't like Firestone/Bridgestone at all. Have heard positive reports on the Continentals. FWIW.

[quote author=billwild]i believe it is the outfit, FMCA, that has a discount price for its members on Michelin tires..[/quote]

Correct Bill. For Steve's benefit, here's the details. It's a huge discount if your tire size is included; Without it, the Michelins would be priced ridiculously high.

Also, here's my new tires story.

At the time I was looking, I was quoted over 3800 out the door for M-XRV.  I also did well on the date code.  I was only 2 months out on the TOYOs, so I should hit the date code limit  long before I ever hit the mileage limit, unless the lottery fairy rests on my shoulder and we can hit the road.

Bridgestone offers the 295/75R22.5 and they are usually much less expensive than the vastly overpriced Michelins and Goodyear G670's. Bridgestone also sells the 295/75 in their Firestone line.

Goodyear recommends the 275/80R22.5 as a substitute for the 295/75 in their G670 line. That works, but they do offer a 295/75 size in models other than the G670 RV tire.

Yokohoma and Toyo both offer the 295/75 size as well.

You may also be able to substitute an 11R22.5 for that size. Certainly could on the rear axle, but check the load rating for the front. The 11R22.5 is widely used commercially and often priced much more competitively. I'm running Continental 11R22.5's on my rear axle (the OEM was 295/80).

Back
Top Bottom