Quote on new tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, Here is the update on my new tire decision. I just got off the phone with my buddy with the tire shop. He is ordering me 6 Toyo M122 tires  295/75r22.5 Installed with Dyna Beads will be 2300.00   

I think I got a awesome price! As soon as I get home next week I'll have them put on and take them for a test trip!!!!!

Thanks for talking me into looking further.

Steve

Having researched a replacement set for our 2000 Winnie Adventurer 37G (the current tires are 7 years old, starting to bounce and show signs of wear), I looked at achieving a good balance between reliable, safety, cost and wear.  Given our circumstances and the age of the coach, I found ChicagoTire selling Samson 245/70R19.5 sets on eBay for $1165 including shipping anywhere in the lower 48.  Fitting & balancing quotes in Oregon work out between $25 & $40 per tire (so $125).

Everet Amos (EV's Tires / Hi-Tech Auto & Towing) in Gold Beach, OR is mentioned several times by members here for a straight-guy, great-service outfit, so I called him and finalized a deal with him a couple of days ago when we got here.  $15 balancing (Dyna Beads) & fitting per tire plus $1165 for the tires equals $1255 out the door.  We discussed the fact that my existing tires are 12-ply and maxed out all the time.  The new Samsons are 16 ply which concerned me a little in case they give too hard a ride.  He was sure they would be ok given the GVW but called the supplier and discussed it with him in detail.  They both were happy I will not have any problems with handling or ride.  14 ply would've perhaps been better, but he can't get them (or they're not made).

There are differing opinions about Samsons both here and on truckers' forums, but almost all say they're good value for money and drive fine.  There are no reports of inherent faults or bad behavior, so I'm happy regarding the safety aspect which of course isn't negotiable.  We're here for a week and they get fitted tomorrow, so I'll take it for a run before going back to the campground and report back on my impressions

Dougie.

Attachments

• samson tires.jpg
    samson tires.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 33
Gary RV Roamer said:
Let us know in 2-3 years. I might have done the same in your situation, but it's still a gamble.
It is, but if I have to change 'em in 2-3 years, that'll still be $2500 for 4-6 years.  As I say, we'll see.

Dougie.

Good luck Dougie!

As in the above posts, I was looking at the samsons and ultimatly am going with the Toyo's. For me the price difference was small enough to make it a no brainer. So later today I'll be getting them put on!

Enjoy and Wear out them new shoes!

Shorter service life or less mileage is not really a risk - it's merely a part of the financial decision.  I would happily give up a year of use for, say, a 20% reduction in the cost.  The gamble I was alluding to is the potential for catastrophic failure and the potential damage to the coach and disruption of your travel plans.

Right now there is no reason to believe that Samson tires are any worse than other brand in that regard, but no data is not the same confidence level as a track record of no problems.

This may set some minds at ease maybe or maybe not but still worth reading a bit I believe.
This is suppose to be the history of Samson tires.

http://www.placesearth.com/usa/california/los_angeles/sam_uni_cit/sam_uni_ct.shtml

The current Michelin tires on my '96 Adventurer were $1140 installed for 6 from Costco - and now 5 years later recently got a quote from Sam's club to replace them for $1440. An advantage of a smaller Class A with R16 tires. Costco also rotates and balances free during the life of the tires - which I have done periodically. Sam's has the same policy - plus flats repair and such free as well.

ironrat said:
This may set some minds at ease maybe or maybe not but still worth reading a bit I believe.
This is suppose to be the history of Samson tires.

http://www.placesearth.com/usa/california/los_angeles/sam_uni_cit/sam_uni_ct.shtml

Thanks.  I'm not sure this is the same manufacturer though, as they're an indigenous Chinese brand?

Dougie.

Interesting read but sad also. Reminds me of the Royal Enfield MC, once one of Britians finest is now made in India.

Wonder if the Chinese manufacture bought the name or just took it since the company no longer exists??

Got the tires installed. 6  22.5 Tokyo m122.  2140.00 installed with dynamic beads.

Price was a bit better than quoted!

And I got mine. :)  6x19.5 Samsons - $1255 fitted, balanced and out the door.

Dougie.

Update on my Toyo's- After about 2500 mi. I am in love!!!  Smooth as glass and quiet. I can't see any tire at any price being any better.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Dougie,
Now that you've had those Samsons for a month, perhaps you could enlighten us with your experience so far.

Do I have to? :(  I struck unlucky.  Terrible vibration problems which got steadily worse during the 800 miles I've done on them, to the point where I visited Les Schwabs in Port Angeles who spent three hours & two test drives trying to sort them out.  They removed all the tires from the rims, cleaned out the Dynabeads, and balanced them conventionally as they have the equipment.  Turns out five out the six are out-of-round.  Badly.

Schwabs don't deal with American Car Car warranties (that's what Samson use) so I visited another dealer nearby who was also very helpful but confirmed the terms of the warranty:  I buy & replace whichever tires I want to return, they fit them, and the tires are returned by them to China on a slow boat for the manufacturer to decide whether they're liable for defects in their own products.  Ho ho.  If they so No, they're returned on the next boat back the US, where I'm supposed to collect them and do with them whatsoever I wish.

We're in Spokane next week having the damaged flooring recovered, so I intend to find another ACC dealer and change the two front tires for the most expensive set of Michelins I can find. :(  We'll see how the four rears behave with a good pair on the front.  They can stick the two Samsons on the boat and if I never see them again, I'll be delighted.  I suppose there's a 10% chance I may get a refund in several months.

Hope I've not skirted round how I feel too much. :eek:

Dougie.

I'm so sorry to hear that Dougie... I hope that it works out for the best and you get your money back.

On another note, I hope that this is not part of the issue that Johnny-Chingas is having.

Thanks.  I'm sure there will be plenty folks who will be shaking their heads sagely, saying "Well, he got what he paid for" etc.  Apart from my expectations that the tires would be round in shape, I guess I have to agree.

Back
Top Bottom