rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: One more wanting to buy an RV and tour the USA  (Read 2173 times)


  • Posts: 1
One more wanting to buy an RV and tour the USA
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:12:57 AM »
Hello everyone on RV Forum,

we are soon comming to the end of our 7 month trip around europe and morrocco and are starting to think about a simular trip (with RV) around the US. However having read some of the previous posts about buying, registering, varying sales taxes and general jargon then have found myself a little lost and feeling that an RBV trip in the states isn`t quite as easy as i first thought!

So can anyone one out there offer and straight advise to the following questions -
can an overseas visitor buy secondhand and RV in the US?

Is the sales tax only applicable to new RV`s? if not then which state(s) tend to be cheaper?

Is a registered address in the US required at the timeof purchase?

Can a Po Box number be used to register the address at?

A visitors visa for the US is 90 days. I notice that some overseas visitors stay for several months more than this. my current investigations suggest that getting any extentions to this is difficult, and simply a visit to Canada or Mexico to get a passport stamp is not sufficient! has anyone been able to find a simple (and legal) solution to this.

thanks a look forward to hearing from anyone
dean   :D


  • Administrator
  • ---
  • *
  • Posts: 46851
  • Celebrating 25 years of The RV Forum online.
    • RV Forum web site
Re: One more wanting to buy an RV and tour the USA
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:40:05 AM »
Hi Dean and welcome to The RV Forum.

Anyone can buy an RV, new or used (second hand). Residency is not a requirement for purchase, assuming you have the funds to pay for it.

Sales tax is assessed by individual states. Some states have no sales tax. Here in California you pay sales tax on both new and used vehicles.

A "90 day visa" is granted under the visa waiver program, and you cannot extend your stay; Your best option is to apply for a B1/B2 visa that gets stamped in your passport at a US embassy (e.g. in London), and is good for multiple entries for 10 years. The maximum length of any stay is determined by the officer at the port of entry, irrespective which type of visa you have, but will not normally be more than 90 days for visa waiver, or 6 months for a B1/B2 visa holder.

Take a look at our library file Guide to buying an RV in the USA. It should answer all your questions.

This message contains links to authoritative (official) pages on immigration issues.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 09:20:19 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.