1995 Mustang Cobra Toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stella

I finally finished restoring my Cobra and it is running strong and street legal again. Would it be foolish to consider it as a toad? It is a manual transmission with a V8.

I've been considering pulling a street rod, but probably in an enclosed trailer.

I don't see much of an issue other than possibly ground clearance, and then that's not a big deal. Our Honda has very low ground clearance with the touring package, and I have scuffed it on a couple of speed bumps not being careful. It's a six speed manual, so it's just plug and drag.

I do see a lot of people who pull their toad like Linus with a blanket, forgetting potholes, speed bumps, and busted concrete, but I can't imagine a careful driver having a problem, other than RV dust on your baby!

The other strange issue you might encounter is tow brackets and how they mount, but any hot rodder worth their salt will cure that if they really want to.  8)

Stella said:
I finally finished restoring my Cobra and it is running strong and street legal again. Would it be foolish to consider it as a toad? It is a manual transmission with a V8.

Years ago there was a member that towed a Mustang, not sure of the year.  He had to tow it backwards on a dolly because of the transmission.  It would not get lubricated while towing, only if the engine was running so check and re-check to be sure what can be done with yours.

I have a Mustang Toad.  I carry it around in a Stacker and can leave the top down all the time.  I have had it for 23 years.  It has a racing crate motor but is street legal by registering it where smog is not an issue.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/254-1.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/037-2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk121/HueyPilotVN/0017.jpg

Jim Godward said:
He had to tow it backwards on a dolly because of the transmission.  It would not get lubricated while towing, only if the engine was running so check and re-check to be sure what can be done with yours.

Jim, I would expect that of an automatic, but not of a manual.

Most manual transmissions are towable, but there are some that aren't.  It depends on how the internals are arranged, and whether there's enough oil being splashed around while the input shaft is stationary, which does not happen in normal operation.

So glad for the input. I had not thought about ground clearance. The Cobra is pretty low. Regarding the transmission I will research to be sure the oil will lube the input shaft.

Huey- love that 'Stang!

I will look into dollies etc- have to admit that the stacker is tempting because it will eliminate the dirt factor.  :)

skyking4ar2 said:
Jim, I would expect that of an automatic, but not of a manual.

Can't remember which he had.  IF his wife drove it, I would suspect an automatic but I didn't check with him as we seldom "talk" much anymore since we haven't been in CA lately.

Back
Top Bottom