EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: 1984 Winnebago Chieftain with Chevy chassis (Hydroboost issue).  (Read 4223 times)

detectivedrew

• ---
  • My RV; ideal cognitive therapy
Gary, one of the forum moderators, informed me that there are some members familiar with the hydroboost brake system integrated into my power steering system. 

I believe I have a leak in one of my steel lines that runs (from or to) the power steering unit (if you are facing the front of my RV, the unit is located on the left side of the rig, below the driver.  I want to save $$ and I am aware that 'cutting corners' can bite you back sometimes. 

Can I take my RV to a local chevy dealer AFTER confirming that they have experience with this chassis and brake/steering system? Looks like this integrated system is used on non-RV vehicles too- I just don't trust RV dealers (I have not be Rving too long but already struck out two for two; improper diagnosis and an estimate that was not realistic (ended up with a bill double the estimate). The system then needs to be bled properly.  I was thinking of a Midas or place that does brakes all day long. They make custom steel brake lines all the time. Any thoughts? Is there a specific type of mechanic I should seek out to  make sure the job is done right the first time? When I start the engine, I hear this annoying whine and vibration when I slightly turn the steering wheel left or right. The noise also occurs when I press the brake pedal. That happens with the parking brake on or off and in park or drive. I was informed that if this system fails all hell could break loose.

I saw this information from one site, not sure how valid the information is:

Hydro-boost has been used on a variety of vehicles since its introduction and OEM applications presently include:

* 1996 and newer Cobras and all V8 Mustang;

* Most 2500 and 3500 series GMC/Chevy trucks;

* Dodge Ram equipped with Cummins turbo diesel;

* Ford Super Duty series trucks equipped with Diesel; and

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:24:01 PM by detectivedrew »
Drew
1984 Winnebago Chieftain 22RC
Chevy 454
Onan 4.0
Malvern, PA

glockholiday

• ---
Re: 1984 Winnebago Chieftain with Chevy chassis (Hydroboost issue).
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
Yes, this system has been on a few different vehicles. It was on my 1989 Chevrolet K3500 4x4 pickup with a 454. I would take it to a Chevy dealer. Yes they are more expensive than the local brake shop but in the last few years I've been very happy with the service and prices at my local dealers and feel I don't have worry about the quality of work as much. (I know this will be different from dealer to dealer)

This system is basically your power steering pump and it taps off and sends boost pressure for your brakes. So basically you have a power steering leak. It could be as simple as replacing a hose. Which as you mentioned would need to have a proper bleeding procedure performed afterwards. Since the pump is making noise either the fluid is low now or has been low enough long enough to damage the pump in that case add a pump to the repair bill.
Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.
2007 Fleetwood Redline 35' Toyhauler Pulled by an 02' F-350 CC Dually 4x4 with 7.3. The toy in the back is a 2012 Polaris Ranger RZR XP4 900 LE

glockholiday

• ---
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 02:47:25 PM »
Good news, a quick search on Napas' website shows a pump for around $60 and either of the hoses around $20-$30. That was for a G3500 van with a 350. So it looks like most the the repair costs will be labor.
Don't worry, if your parachute fails, you have the rest of your life to fix it.
2007 Fleetwood Redline 35' Toyhauler Pulled by an 02' F-350 CC Dually 4x4 with 7.3. The toy in the back is a 2012 Polaris Ranger RZR XP4 900 LE

detectivedrew

• ---
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:44:22 PM »
Thanks for the info.  Now is a good time for me to purchase Good Sam RV tow insurance. I may destroy the current pump by driving it to the dealer. I have Progressive and I believe a tow is covered, not sure if the tow is covered from home, but it should be.

Thanks
Drew
Chevy 454
Onan 4.0
Malvern, PA

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
Stay away from all but a few RV dealers for any kind of chassis repair. Some Chevy dealers won't want to deal with the old P30, but those who have been around awhile should know it well, and the Hydroboost brake system is not unique to the P30 anyway.  I would expect that some truck chassis shops are familiar with the P30 and Hydroboost as well - it was used in various medium duty vans (step vans) for a number of years.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

detectivedrew

• ---
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:15:16 PM »
Thanks Gary,

You are dead spot on- found a truck chassis shop that is familiar with the system. They said 'bring it on in....and we can make our own steel lines if needed.' I will post an update.

Thanks, Drew
Drew
Chevy 454
Onan 4.0
Malvern, PA