Aligning Winnebago Adventurer engine cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wavery

I bought this '98 Winnebago Adventurer and I am having the hardest time figuring out the best way to put the engine cover back on easily. I can't believe that it should be this hard and I'm hoping someone with a similar coach might have suggestions.

I put the cover console tangs into the dash 1st, then lower the back in place. It never sits right so I have to lift the entire (heavy) cover straight up about 1" and have my wife sit on the floor and push with her feet while I wiggle the darn thing into place (while trying to straddle this huge cover). I leave the engine running and have found that when the engine noise goes away completely, it is in place and I can close the rear catch.

I just have to think that I am missing something simple here. I have severe arthritis in my wrists (from many years of cranking sailboat winches ::)) and I find this task rather daunting. I hope that someone can help.  ;D

Look at the condition of the sealing gaskets. They may be mis-shaped from years of use. Might be as simple as replacing the seal.

captsteve said:
Look at the condition of the sealing gaskets. They may be mis-shaped from years of use. Might be as simple as replacing the seal.
That was my 1st thought also but the gasket looks like new and is soft and pliable. I even wiped it down with silicone on a rag. The PO told me that the only people that have ever taken the cover off were a few people that came to look at the M/H while it was for sale. He said that he had never removed the cover on his own. I tend to believe him, just judging by the undisturbed accumulation of dust on the engine.

Hummm, If the hinge screws are accessible with the cover closed, I would take them out and close the cover and seal it, then reinstall the screws. Something is in a bind, that may relieve the pressure???? Other than that the cover or base  may be warped.

This cover doesn't have hinges. There is an oblong hole in the dash and and oblong "tang" on the front side of the console (mounted on top of the engine cover). The tang goes into the hole in the dash and that is the only thing holding the front of the cover. On the back of the cover, there is a latch that catches a striker in the floor when turned with a large alan wrench (if everything lines up perfectly).

There doesn't appear to be any way to align the 2 sides, when it sits on the floor. That's where it appears that I may be missing something. One would think that the cover should have alignment pins that go into holes in the floor or something but there is nothing.

Attachments

• EngineCover.png
    EngineCover.png
    178.1 KB · Views: 48
Wow, that does look like a PIA! Maybe someone else on here will have some experience with that style. Possibly Ernie Ekberg??

captsteve said:
Wow, that does look like a PIA! Maybe someone else on here will have some experience with that style. Possibly Ernie Ekberg??
Can you imagine straddling that thing while picking it up??? It's a good thing that I'm 6'3".... I just wish that I weren't getting old... :-\

I'm thinking that I may have to take a coupe pieces of 1" angle aluminum about 2' long and screw them into the floor (on each side of the cover) when the cover is perfectly lined up. I could use those for guides and it would also keep the F/G sides from bowing out.

Wavery said:
That was my 1st thought also but the gasket looks like new and is soft and pliable. I even wiped it down with silicone on a rag. The PO told me that the only people that have ever taken the cover off were a few people that came to look at the M/H while it was for sale. He said that he had never removed the cover on his own. I tend to believe him, just judging by the undisturbed accumulation of dust on the engine.

What does this say about the past maintenance on this engine??? Hmmmmm...

Alfa,

Not a lot, I owned a 32 ft Pursuit (Ford V10) for three years and 40k miles plus. During that period, all maintenance was accomplished, but the dog house was never removed nor was there any reason to remove it

Ernie.

Ernie n Tara said:
Alfa,

Not a lot, I owned a 32 ft Pursuit (Ford V10) for three years and 40k miles plus. During that period, all maintenance was accomplished, but the dog house was never removed nor was there any reason to remove it

Ernie.
That's what I was thinking, Ernie.  The only time I've had the cover off mine was to retrieve a kitten that had taken up residence on top of the engine at a Louisiana campground.  Perhaps, I'll need the plugs changed soon, but with Ford's early V-10 plug blowing history, I may wait until it starts having problems before I invite possible blown plugs.  Now the OP's '98 Winnie probably has the 460 so this particular problem isn't an issue.  So, what's serviceable (normal maintenance) under the doghouse on a 460 besides sparkplugs?

My '96 Adventurer has the same cover. I just set it on the floor and push it on - the last part sometimes sitting down and pushing with my legs. I have a 5/8" alan wrench with a long handle that lives in the box on top of the cover.

When I have CA smog done every two years the tech will do it for me (if they do not charge extra). They do about the same thing only set it in place and then push it the final several inches into the dash bulkhead.

Bob Buchanan said:
My '96 Adventurer has the same cover. I just set it on the floor and push it on - the last part sometimes sitting down and pushing with my legs. I have a 5/8" alan wrench with a long handle that lives in the box on top of the cover.

When I have CA smog done every two years the tech will do it for me (if they do not charge extra). They do about the same thing only set it in place and then push it the final several inches into the dash bulkhead.
Thanks for that....... I guess that's all there is to it then. I was afraid that I was missing something.

I can't just sit mine down and push though. The front of the cover must be lifted about 1" to get that tang on the console through the hole in the dash. Maybe that tang can be adjusted up about 1" so that it will just slide right in. I thought maybe it was made like that for a reason.

Alfa38User.................

My 1st reaction was the same as yours but the engine cover only has to be removed for upper engine repairs. All normal service items are performed from the front hood area. 

This thing only has 19K miles and all the OP had done was normal oil changes. It still had the original air filter. Changing the air filter was a PITA but can only be accomplished through the front hood.

Have you tried lubricating all contact points with a dry lubricant such as silicone?  This may help it slide into place easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom