Anyone have plans to be around Moab early Oct 2013?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captsteve

I am in the planning stages for going to Moab. Should be there Oct 6-15. Have not yet made any concrete plans on where to stay, Thinking about Ruby's. DW is a nature photographer so we will be doing a lot of exploring.

If you plan to be in the area, let me know and we can have a get together and maybe get some pointers on best places to see.

If you are not gonna be there, I am still open for suggestions! We plan to rent a car for our stay so we will be highly mobile  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Steve,

Hmmm, I think you have Ruby's at the wrong location.  Ruby's is just outside of Bryce Canyon N.P.  When we have our Moab rally we stay at Portal, but there are quite a few other places to stay in Moab.  We chose Portal because most of us have satellite dishes and the other parks aren't very satellite-friendly because they have a lot of trees.  As a single RV you might be able to get a satellite-friendly site at one of them which we can't do as a larger group - if that's important to you.

Your wife should find plenty to photograph in Moab with both Arches and Canyonlands National Parks nearby, not to mention other things like petroglyphs.

ArdraF

Ardra,

I was looking through past threads and was going to send you a PM with some questions. I just have to figure out exactly what  ::)

And, Yes I did get confused. I was looking at Ruby's but found Portal and decided on it. Enterprise rent a car will deliver there.

Any info on good things / places are welcome and when my brain can form some coherent questions I'll PM you.

Thanks, Steve

Oh, goodness, there's so much to do and see in Moab!  That's why we've been having rallies there for so many years.  First off, go to the visitor center which is in downtown Moab.  They have all kinds of brochures such as driving tours to see petroglyphs, movie sets, dinosaur tracks, etc.  Then of course, you need several days just seeing Arches and Canyonlands (neither has food or water so take your own).  Arches is wonderful, especially if you like to hike.  It's on the east side of U.S. 191.  On the west side is Canyonlands and it's great for four wheeling.  South of Moab a "don't miss" is Newspaper Rock which is a gigantic rock full of petroglyphs.  Drive east along the Colorado River to Red Cliffs Lodge which is in a gorgeous location and the site of many movies.  They have a nice movie museum downstairs.  There's a Canyonlands by Night boat ride with a laser light show on the cliffs.  The La Sal Mountains loop drive is very scenic.  Just about any road you take around Moab will have something interesting to see or view.  In other words, you won't lack for things to do.  :)

For food, Sunset Grill is up the hill from Portal and it has a wonderful view of the Moab valley - not to mention good food.  It was the home of the man who turned Moab into a uranium mining town.  The Moab Brewery is a popular restaurant that has good food at a decent price.  The Bar M Chuckwagon is north of town and includes entertainment.  Jeffrey's is new and has superb filet mignon.  The Moab Diner will take you back to the 50s with really good milk shakes and such.  There are others, but these seem to be favorites of our group.

ArdraF

Not sure if I will be back from Alaska by then, but I ALWAYS stop and spend some time in Moab. I generally stay at the Portal, it is one of my favorite places to stay in Moab, I usually always spend a day or two at Deadhorse Point State park as well, cheap with electric and water and a dump station on the way out.

I am a photographer and there are so many things to see there it just can't be compared to nearly anything else. The red rock in Arches and Canyonlands is amazing - keep in mind there are two entrances to Canyonlands  the North entrance north of Moab on the same road to Deadhorse Point is the entrance to Islands In The Sky part of Canyonlands and the South entrance is about 60 miles South of Moab and you will drive right by Newspaper Rock which is a DO NOT MISS! This south entrance takes you to Canyonlands Needles District and can easily be done in a day trip from Moab.

I will second Zax's as a great place for food and a friendly cocktail. I also love at least one meal at Sunset Grill and it is the place for "Sunset". Another favorite of mine is Bucks Grill House and for an amazing meal is Jeffries - - but reservations are a must it is small and very upscale. Best steak in town after Bucks.

You will have a grand time in Moab, I have been going there for years and still can get enough.

If I am back from Alaska by then we may hook up.

Have a grand time.

Jim

Hi!

If you're going to be renting anyway, you might think about getting Jeep or similar. There are lots of places/trails around Moab with great photo ops that are more comfortably accessible by 4WD (without getting radical).

Ernie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom