Port a Potty in cold weather

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

When I winterize or vans port a potty for winter storage I use the pink RV antifreeze, same stuff I use on the van water system.  Costs ~$4 a gallon.

We will be using the van for some cold weather traveling and it might get below freezing overnight during the trip so I don't want to fill the toilet storage tank with water.  Windshield washer fluid costs $1-$2 a gallon.  Has anyone used that for the flushing fluid in a port a potty?  At this time of year (now April w NE temperatures I wouldn't expect the temp to get much below freezing at night.  Maybe 25ish).

Thoughts

In Alaska I use a 5 gallon bucket with plastic bags that fit over the bucket and a Cabela's snap on toilet seat with lid for the 5 gallon bucket. Do your business and seal up the plastic bag and toss in a dumpster...done no water system to service and it will never matter if it freezes, other than that first moment on the seat!

Keep it simple stupid is my motto!!

Jim.

Washer fluid may work, But is your porta potty worth more than $4? I know that you could get several seasons out of one gallon in a porta potty. it just needs enough to displace the water in the lines. Or you could just remove it from the van and wash it out and stick it in a warm corner of the garage...

Hi Len ...

I use my RV all winter for travelling in below freezing weather. My situation may very well be different than yours because I travel alone. I use gallon jugs for #1 and then use disposable bags for #2. These bags are place over/in the toilet bowl for ease of use.

As for your situation ... I don't see why windshield water antifreeze wouldn't work. At least during these temperatures in the late winter/early spring. Now that I am thinking about it ... I have had windshield washer fluid in temperatures well below 0? F and have never had any concern of freezing.

Nice to see you ... haven't seem much from you lately.

Karsty

I saw the issues as:

1.  compatibility: Porta Potty plastices vs windshield washer fluid chemicals - no info on internet ....
2. environmental:  dumping windshield washer liquid into a sewer system

What I didn't think about was:
3. safety: vapors, flammability

Reading the label...daaaa......:  Danger poison contains methano, fatal or causes blindness if swallowed [not going to drink it out of the toilet bowl],  vapors harmful [maybe, most part Porta potty is sealed but who knows], flammable [didn't think of that...how flammable ... have to wait for summer testing in driveway...pictures of someone setting on john and throwing cigarette but in toilet...that would stop you from smoking !].

Oh well little or no info obtained when Googled.  Early spring trips will continue to use the RV pink stuff...... safe to drink out of the bowl ;-)

driftless shifter said:
Seals may not be happy with washer fluid.

Bill

The washer fluid is stored in a plastic bottle. The vehicle reservoir is probably plastic. The wiper blades are rubber of some kind and there are rubber seals/gaskets around the windshield.  So I don't really see that as a problem for the rubber seals in the port-potti.

Now ... as for some of the other issues that Len mentioned that could be problematic.

Mind you the cigarette package did say the smoking can kill you ... although I don't suppose sitting on a port-potti full of windshield antifreeze was considered when the warnings were printed. :)

Here is what I was looking for:

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_0073/0901b80380073445.pdf?filepath=heattrans/pdfs/noreg/180-01530.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Used the RV antifreeze on our trip with 50% water for the toilet.  Got down to about 24f in the van overnight (we were in a hotel).  So in the spring of the year when "lighter" temperatures are expected a cost saving mix of RV antifreeze and water can be used in porta potti.  One part RV antifreeze to 3 parts water for early spring temps in the 15F and above temps for the Porta potti.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom