Need Help Finding CB Wireing On a Voyage 32H

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenb1023

I have a 2008 Voyage 32H.  The owners manual says it is wired for a CB.  Can someone point me in the right direction to find it?  Not sure if it is just power or if there is a coax cable already ran.

You should have a coax cable just to the left of the steering column under the dash.  It probably has a plastic label saying it for CB.  There maybe a +12v acc wire with the same label to power the CB too.  Make sure the antenna is still on the roof and hasn't been removed since it wasn't used.

Happy trails,
Bill

One of the fun things Winnie employees do is play "Hide the CB Stuff".  As said the general rule is to find it on the left of the steering column some where in the neighborhood of the foot rest or tucked up under the dash or maybe by the brake release lever.  Check the roof first, the CB antenna is a spring loaded one on the left front not the rubber ducky type.  As with most manufactures pennies count so don't expect a real quality one.  Depending where you mount your radio you will probably find the wires are too short.

Don G. WIT 70041

Thanks, I will start my look there.  I only see a black antenna on the roof so CB antenna may be gone.  I will climb up there this weekend.  I need to use a house ladder as I am a bit over weight for the the MH ladder.  Well a big bit over weight for it :(

When  I searched for the Wires on my Journey, they were non existent.  Forget looking for a antenna.  They say Pre wired, nothing about giving you a antenna. 

I put a glass mounted antenna on, I should of listened to the experts on the blog. Maybe a 1/2 mile at best.  I am in the process of putting on a side mount on.

You will need a no ground plane antenna. You will be mounting on fiberglass.

Good luck

Jim

I know I will need it.

I looked all under the dash and found nothing.  They must have lied in the owners manual.

My Vista is "prewired" for CB, but that prewiring does not include antenna.  I believe I saw the CB wire w-a-y back up under the dash when I was looking for something else.  If it wasn't for the fact that I had already read in my manual that the prewired CB wire was yellow, I probably would have never found it.  When you tell me anything automtive is prewired, the first thing I look for is the standand red hot lead and black ground lead... yellow would have never crossed my mind.

Ok, now I need to get bacck under there and look for a yellow wire.  There are two black antennas on the roof.  Both are centered.  One is over the caband the other is about midships.  I figure one is for the radio.  not sure about the other.  I know CB antennas are steel or fiberglass.

On my '04 Adventurer the CB antenna and wiring was an option. Probably part of the "Z package" such that most Adventurers got the option, but I'm sure some didn't. Might review your original build sheet that's in the black bag, or get a price list from Winnebago, it'd show if the wiring was an option.

Did a little digging, my wiring diagrams show the CB wiring and have a note about a "40J" option for it. Your wiring diagram: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2008/08_wire_160329.pdf notes the same 40J option code, making me think it was an option on yours too.

kenb1023 said:
Ok, now I need to get bacck under there and look for a yellow wire.  There are two black antennas on the roof.  Both are centered.  One is over the caband the other is about midships.  I figure one is for the radio.  not sure about the other.  I know CB antennas are steel or fiberglass.

If you have the outside entertainment system, the midship antenna might go to that.

After reading this post I decided to check our MH for the CB pre-wire as the manual does state they are in there...I am thinking of installing a ham radio. In any event, I spent about 20 minutes on my back looking for these wires........no luck. If they are in there, Winnie did a really good job of hiding them. I did spot one set of yellow and white wires that run out of a harness but then disappear again in the maze of harnesses, did not dare pull on them.. :-[  For another day I guess.........

John Canfield said:
The factory coax is probably not the best assuming you want to go 2 meters and up.

John,

Even the lousy, lossy RG 58 is not too bad for UHF and VHF Ham radios.  I am and have been using this for my radios with no real problems.  SWR is good and signal reports are fine even on simplex.  Now on the other hand if you are going to run a lot of power, yes get a better coax but for 50 watts or less, it generally works fine.

If you have the tilt back instrument panel, it might be easier to locate the wireing by raising it.  Just a thought, I really know nothing about the location of the CB wireing.

John Canfield said:
Jim - I have this thing about coax - I like good quality with 98%+ shield coverage.  It's just an itch that needs to be scratched.

John,

If I am buying, I get the good stuff too.  On the other hand if I have to run new in a RV or use what is there, I'll take the easy way out.  Now for my HF rig, it will be good stuff all the way but the run is easy, drill a hole, put the coax into it and drop it down to the table and it is done!  The coax I have for the HF rig is AL foil wrapped and then a 98% shield on top of the foil along with 2 conductors for power to my mount for the actuator to raise and lower the antenna.  Now to get the thing mounted and operational.

BTW, my MH had a cell antenna mounted on it, the old single band type.  I converted that to my VHF/UHF radio with a new comet antenna on the old mount.  Lousy RG 58 and so far no problems but I am only running about 25 watts or less and usually working through repeaters so then it is usually about 5 watts.

John Canfield said:
The factory coax is probably not the best assuming you want to go 2 meters and up.

As far as I know, in this MH only the power is supplied......so I will be using a good grade of coax when I install..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom