Whats better to tow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

Hello,
I'm looking to buy a jeep wrangler. I'm thinking about getting a automatic. I do want to tow the jeep with our motor home.

What would tow better a stick shift or automatic. If the automatic works the same, what do you do to take it out of
gear when you are towing?

Also, how is the automatic when you are 4-wheeling up mountains and over rocks? We are not crazy but want to make sure
we are not selling our self short getting a automatic.

Thanks
Brenda

We recently found a 2005 Jeep Wrangler X with 39,250 miles on it and an automatic transmission. It is so easy to tow, just follow the Owner's Manual and in 2-minutes or less you're ready to go.

I went with the Roadmaster Sterling All-Terrain Tow Bar, the Roadmaster XL Base Plate, SMI Braking System, and the TST TPMS System. All totaled about $2,800.00 +/- a few bucks. 

Attachments

• 2005 Jeep 1.jpg
    2005 Jeep 1.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 19
I tow a Jeep Commander.  You can tow both the manual or automatic as long as they have a transfer case which comes with the 4 wheel drive specification.  The transfer case lets you disconnect the transmission from the axles. 

Automatics tow great...Transfer case in neutral, transmission in park, and automatics are preferred by many in the rocks.

HI Brenda,
As mentioned above, you can tow either because you put the transfer case in neutral.

I stared off towing 4 down, but now I trailer everything. I like it that I can back up and I believe that the cost of trailing is cheaper (depends on what you tow too) over time than towing?

As for wheeling, it all depend on you. I have done extensive wheeling with both transmissions and they each have there good and bad. I now have a automatic and will stick with that. For the most part the automatic is easier to wheel with IMHO!

There is so much that you can do to a Jeep that it will blow you away.

Get that Jeep and come and join us in August for the ALL 4 FUN event. Lot of fun and all types of wheeling!

Good luck.

Good comments all.  I strongly recommend an automatic transmission for the trail and it's fine in the mountains.  Buy a Rubicon model!  Really!  No kidding!  You want the Rubicon model.  Buy Rubicon.

Like Terry, we are now trailing our Jeep.  It's easier on the drive train - when you tow a Jeep 4-down, the axles are rotating, the differentials are spinning, the drive shafts are turning and the gears in the transfer case are spinning. (Not to mention the front tires scrub every time the tow vehicle makes a change of direction.)

John Canfield said:
Good comments all.  I strongly recommend an automatic transmission for the trail and it's fine in the mountains.  Buy a Rubicon model!  Really!  No kidding!  You want the Rubicon model.  Buy Rubicon.

Like Terry, we are now trailing our Jeep.  It's easier on the drive train - when you tow a Jeep 4-down, the axles are rotating, the differentials are spinning, the drive shafts are turning and the gears in the transfer case are spinning. (Not to mention the front tires scrub every time the tow vehicle makes a change of direction.)
Thanks! I would love to buy the Rubicon ,but my wallet is telling me a sport model :( Ha- ha thanks again)

Thanks for all the great information. Curt and I test drove the Wrangler sport with automatic. We loved it. We just need to find that perfect deal
now :) See you on the trails soon!

Good luck on your search, if you're buying new I discovered that Jeep dealers are totally in love with their product and negotiations were non-existent. I shopped 3-dealers two in Las Vegas (I live in Vegas) and one in Southern California (Ontario Jeep) and none would budge from their asking price. That's why we ultimately bought a used Jeep. I just can't force myself to pay asking price for anything. If I cannot get 10% off the asking price something is wrong...IMHO. 

Yea dealers can be tough. I just got mine stickered at 28465.00 and got it for 25000.00 so yea you can get them to come down some. As far as towing both will be good, not one better than the other.

Anyone serious about buying a Jeep could consider Yellowstone Country in Livingston MT or Dave Smith in Kellogg ID.  Both do a lot of business and have been fairly good on deals.

I personally have dealt with Yellowstone Country on my Jeep and am about to start negotiations on a new something.  Being local I have used Yellowstone Country for service also and they do a good job there.  It won't make much difference though if you buy and leave.

Also no sales tax in MT.

No financial interest just a satisfied customer of Yellowstone Country and know their biggest competitor is Dave Smith or is it vice versa???

We bought our Jeep this weekend! They are offering a life time warranty from Chrysler.  The cost is 3,000. Whats your thought on this?
I attached a copy of what is covered.
Thanks again.

Attachments

• Jeep.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 14
ironrat said:
How long do you plan to keep this new Jeep?

Not sure, but we tend to keep our cars for about 10 years. I know my husband is a jeep lover, so with that said,
he may never let it go.

In general I would never advise someone to spend the 3 grand for that warranty. The warranty you have is good and for the most part a vehicle will have problems right away if it is going to have problems not normally after three years of NP's. When one has problems that far out it is usually from poor service and abuse all not covered by any warranty.

ironrat said:
In general I would never advise someone to spend the 3 grand for that warranty. The warranty you have is good and for the most part a vehicle will have problems right away if it is going to have problems not normally after three years of NP's. When one has problems that far out it is usually from poor service and abuse all not covered by any warranty.
Thanks, That was my thought as well. Just thought it would be nice to hear if anyone has had any experience with this
warranty , good or bad.

Oscar Mike said:
Congratulations on your new Jeep...enjoy it!
Thanks. We took the jeep out the very next day. We went to Cleghorn right off the 15 freeway. Had a blast!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom